The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Pathway to Arts

Hi there, I have an interview next week for the Pathway to Arts degree programme. My area of interest is psychology. Has anyone been through this process and attended an interview? Any informaation would be appreciated. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So that’s basically what I had an interview for last year. They’ll ask you why you want to study there, what subjects you want to study and why. Just be yourself and try and relax though, it’s not overly formal and they just want to get to know you. Let them know you’ve done your homework about possible modules and how the module system works too as the pathway to arts means you can do pretty much anything you want to do in the arts in first year. I’m not sure what else to say as I just remember it being more like a chat. Shoot me specific questions if you like though.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
That's great information. Thank you so much. Did you go on to the pathway in the end?
Reply 3
Yeah I started in September. I’m hoping to progress on to a named honours in history and I’m having a great time. The good thing about the pathways is that there’s a whole support system for all of us coming in that way. We had induction days designed with us in mind, there’s the opportunity to have a mentor and we can always call on the lifelong learning team for anything. I think there was near enough 40 of us between the pathway and the gateway programme that started in September just past.
Reply 4
That sounds great! I hope to graduate with a degree in psychology. If I am offered a place, I plan on taking psychology, social anthropolgy and modern history for my first year (timetable permitting of course). Can I ask, if I am passing all subjects but I am getting better grades in say history, will I be "forced" to complete my degree in that subject or will I be allowed to continue with my choice of psychology? Thank you for answering all of my questions. I really want to study at St Andrews but I am struggling with my perceived risk of studying a general degree.
Reply 5
There honestly no risk with studying a general degree at all. To take a subject onto honours you need to pass second year with an 11 and that is completely achievable. You can take whatever subject you get that mark in to honours. St. Andrews use a numerical 20 point marking scale. Where about are you and what college? Modern history is one of my subjects and my other two are medieval history and divinity.
Reply 6
Thank you, your information is really really helpful. I am in Glenrothes and I am studying HNC Social Sciences at Fife College just now. My course covers all of the subjects that I want to study at St Andrews and I am achieveing really good marks this year so I am hoping that it sets me up well.
Reply 7
You’ll be totally grand I’m sure! If you want to meet up in St. Andrews and chat more about it just shout. It’s totally nerve wracking and I totally remember what it felt like. It was exactly a year ago I had my interview and I was so nervous I thought I’d mucked it up. I came in through SWAP last year. I did the access to community, education and humanities so it’s basically the same subjects as HNC social sciences.
Reply 8
My interview is on Friday and I have exams today, tomorrow and Wednesday so I will definitely be glad when this week is over! Did it take long after your interview to find out that you were being offered a place? I have offers from all of my other choices now but I am led to believe that St Andrews are always last!
Reply 9
Good luck for your exams and you’re interview! It’s a big week for you! I’ll be in St. Andrews on Thursday if you do want to come over. I didn’t get my offer until March last year, partly because of the strikes and partly because of the bad weather. They do sometimes come in earlier than that though but you won’t wait any longer than March. I was the same, I got all my offers for Dundee at the beginning of January but St. Andrews was the one I wanted most and waited the longest on. Where have you got offers for?
Reply 10
I am the same, St Andrews is my first choice but I have been told to prepare myself for a long wait. I have offers from Dundee, Stirling and Abertay. Dundee is my second choice. They are looking for a B for my end of year exams, which is what St Andrews are asking for too. Fingers crossed! If all else fails, I have been offered direct entry to second year at Abertay just for a pass haha. I feel sick at the thought of this interview but I am going to try and not think about it and just focus on making sure I am well prepared. It's hard not to get in an anxious state when something matters a lot though!
I totally understand. You’ll be totally grand though! Just make sure you get yourself there early and have a look over your personal statement again before you go, they will refer to that. There’s usually 3 people in the interview. 2 doing the interview and 1 taking notes but it’s honestly so chilled out.
Reply 12
I plan on leaaving super early for that exact reason and I believe there are road works at the Old Course. Thank you for your input. You have cleared up the concerns that I had. Hopefully I will be joining you at St Andrews in the very near future.
Fingers crossed! Maybe see you in the commuter room in September!
Hi Folks,

Sorry to jump on the thread here but how did your interview go? I have an interview on the 8th of February. Not a fan of interviews! I am coming from the SWAP Access to Humanities at Fife College and I am aiming for International Relations (Tough choice I believe!)

Bob :smile:
Reply 15
Hi there! My interview went really well - I think. I was so anxious all morning but needn’t have been. It was really relaxed. They asked me about my journey to this point and why I want to do this now. We discussed my understanding of the psychology course and they asked me which two other subjects I would choose and why. Then that was it, over! I can’t speak highly enough of the interviewers, they were absolutely lovely and made me feel relaxed straight away. I’d been preparing for weeks so I covered anything they could ask me but it really was more of a chat. I hope this helps :smile:
That sounds great!
Reply 17
Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great :smile:
Had my pathway interview on Monday, though for sciences not arts.

The two people interviewing me were relaxed, and very nice. One was the pro dean of science, the other was director of UK admissions.

I was overcome with nerves and struggled to answer some of the questions in the best way I could have done. Tripped over my words, etc. May have ruined my chances.

So my advice to anyone attending one of these interviews is try to stay calm and see it less of an interview, more of two people getting to know you. Have some basic knowledge of the university in general and the course, i.e what the pathway is (read the webpage). Know your reasons for wanting to go to St Andrews, and show passion for the subjects you plan to choose.
Just wanted to say don’t worry about your nerves. I was very visibly nervous and stumbled over my words at times but I still got an offer. I think if they can see how passionate you are and how much research you’ve done then the visible nerves don’t matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending