The Student Room Group

Chemistry Olympiad 2019 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for the heads up!
The paper was 80 marks in total; around 30 marks for maths
DO. NOT. LEAK. THE. EXAM. Your comments will be reported and deleted.
As a medic offer holder, I don’t particularly have an interest in physics ; although scoring in the top 200 in the British Physics Olympiad and being awarded silver; I can confidently say that inorganic chemistry in these Olympiad questions are very physics orientated and hence I strongly recommend those who do both physics and chemistry to do the chemistry Olympiad!
Original post by Academic_Medic
Someone briefly mentioned a topic, I highly doubt this is going to make a differnede since the equations will probably be given to you; the half life equation is easy to derive.

One or two marks could be the difference between an award boundary. It could also give you a confidence boost knowing some of the prior topics and the chance to read around the topics that could gain you extra marks as you have just done. Nobody can blame you for the opportunism but fact remains that this could give some an unfair advantage so everyone that is thinking of leaking deets STOP IT
Someone briefly mentioned a topic, I highly doubt this is going to make a differnede since the equations will probably be given to you; the half life equation is easy to derive.

Someone who might eventually have other people's lives in their hands on a daily basis should know better.
Original post by Dysf(x)al
Someone who might eventually have other people's lives in their hands on a daily basis should know better.

Nice aldehyde reference, although if someone leaked two concepts of the olympiad on here, then unfortunately, it is impossible for someone who had read the leak to not read over the topic.
Nice aldehyde reference, although if someone leaked two concepts of the olympiad on here, then unfortunately, it is impossible for someone who had read the leak to not read over the topic.

So the solution to someone else leaking is for you to repeat the leak? You do know moderators exist right? That post will probably be deleted soon.
(edited 5 years ago)
The Olympiad paper was very nice today! I appreciate the sensible amount of mathematical permutation required for the questions.
(edited 5 years ago)
The Olympiad paper was very nice today! I appreciate the sensible amount of mathematical permutation with applications of Chemistry.

That second sentence barely makes sense (and seems like an unneccessarily pretentious way to say what you mean...), but I'm glad the Olympiad went well for you!! :smile:
what do you think the boundaries will be?

Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
That second sentence barely makes sense (and seems like an unneccessarily pretentious way to say what you mean...), but I'm glad the Olympiad went well for you!! :smile:
Original post by yuisdhyakdjashk
what do you think the boundaries will be?

idk, I haven't seen the paper, I'm an undergrad.
Hey I did the olympiad like a week ago and it was honestly one of the hardest ones that there is In my opinion.

Also the deadline to do it was the Friday the 25th. So all we got to wait is for them to be marked. Can we discuss so of the questions and what were people thoughts on some of the stuff which came up ?
Does anyone have the questions or markscheme I really want to know how I did. Thanks so much. Much appreciated
Reply 34
Original post by snake.eyes
Does anyone have the questions or markscheme I really want to know how I did. Thanks so much. Much appreciated

No, sorry. I would willing to discuss answers though, I think that it shoud be fine as the period of time for the exam to be taken in is over.
Original post by snake.eyes

If anyone does have ur message me for my personal email. Thanks
I think this was definitely the hardest paper yet for Round 1. I have never seen free radical on an olympiad paper, nor have I seen a NMR question as tough as this. I managed almost all of it though, although whether the organic structures are correct is a totally different question. My teacher said I should have my provisional mark by Tuesday.
Original post by Dysf(x)al
I think this was definitely the hardest paper yet for Round 1. I have never seen free radical on an olympiad paper, nor have I seen a NMR question as tough as this. I managed almost all of it though, although whether the organic structures are correct is a totally different question. My teacher said I should have my provisional mark by Tuesday.

Yh I've not seen the paper but I've heard that the paper was more challenging than usual this year. Don't worry if you found it very difficult, the Olympiad is meant to be a challenge. Good luck with all your results! :smile:
What was the reagent bit that we were supposed to put for Question 5?
As the last day that the test could be taken was yesterday, it should be fine to discuss the paper now.

I did about 5-6 past papers and got scores significantly above the gold boundary for all except one.

However, this year's paper was significantly harder than previous years. I ended up leaving most of the NMR and the last question blank and whilst I managed to answer most of the organic besides the free radical parts, how correct it is is another question.

Do remember that the 2016 gold boundary was 41%, so if most people found this year's paper very difficult the boundaries should at least be similarly low.

Quick Reply

Latest