Sherlocked01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've heard the animation course is really good, the entry requirements are higher than other choices I'm considering so that probably means it's a popular course... But I'm worried. I've heard SO many poor reviews about the university as a whole. Apparently the wifi is terrible, accommodation is bad and everything is really expensive. Hatfield looks really bad too and I've heard that the student life is pretty dead especially at weekends I've heard it's a "ghost town" because lots of students go home. The societies are apparently awful and there's nothing to do, except on Wednesdays. Is this true? The course just looks so awesome but the reviews are kinda putting me off...
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can't comment on the university but I live not far from Hatfield so I can comment on the area. It will be expensive because it's closer to London. There's not really much to do. The Galleria is okay for food but again not amazing.
University of Hertfordshire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Btsfangirl01)
I've heard the animation course is really good, the entry requirements are higher than other choices I'm considering so that probably means it's a popular course... But I'm worried. I've heard SO many poor reviews about the university as a whole. Apparently the wifi is terrible, accommodation is bad and everything is really expensive. Hatfield looks really bad too and I've heard that the student life is pretty dead especially at weekends I've heard it's a "ghost town" because lots of students go home. The societies are apparently awful and there's nothing to do, except on Wednesdays. Is this true? The course just looks so awesome but the reviews are kinda putting me off...
Hi Btsfangirl01,

Glad to see you're interested in our animation courses, they're very popular

Have you been to see us at an open day?

We have 2 campuses which are about a 5 minute drive apart. There is accommodation, a restaurant, a starbucks, library and a gym on both campuses. College Lane also has a nightclub and pub. We have lots of different types of accommodation including en-suites and townhouses and our accommodation has been ranked 12th in the 2018 Whatuni Student Choice Awards.

As DrawTheLine said, there is the Galleria in Hatfield which is an outlet shopping centre with a cinema and restaurants. There's also Hatfield House which is a country house and gardens which holds events such as the Slam Dunk festival and outdoor cinema. You might like to take a look at the Herts SU website here to see the kind of events they have on: https://hertfordshire.su/your-events/.

I've copied in our student reps Herts UG Student Rep and Herts PG Student Rep who can let you know more about student life.

Do you have any questions about the course or uni?

Thanks,
Heather
Sherlocked01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by University of Hertfordshire)
Hi Btsfangirl01,

Glad to see you're interested in our animation courses, they're very popular

Have you been to see us at an open day?

We have 2 campuses which are about a 5 minute drive apart. There is accommodation, a restaurant, a starbucks, library and a gym on both campuses. College Lane also has a nightclub and pub. We have lots of different types of accommodation including en-suites and townhouses and our accommodation has been ranked 12th in the 2018 Whatuni Student Choice Awards.

As DrawTheLine said, there is the Galleria in Hatfield which is an outlet shopping centre with a cinema and restaurants. There's also Hatfield House which is a country house and gardens which holds events such as the Slam Dunk festival and outdoor cinema. You might like to take a look at the Herts SU website here to see the kind of events they have on: https://hertfordshire.su/your-events/.

I've copied in our student reps Herts UG Student Rep and Herts PG Student Rep who can let you know more about student life.

Do you have any questions about the course or uni?

Thanks,
Heather
Hi thank you so much for the reply! I have been to the open day and was really blown away by how amazing the animation courses are, I just never had time to look around the area so I never saw Hatfield. There seems to be a good amount of things to do on campus so that's good! Just interested though, I've heard that the animation courses are pretty intense so there's not a lot of time to attend any societies, is this true? Naturally the course is the most important thing and I don't mind spending lots of time committed to the work, but still it would be nice to join some societies and also I would like a part time job while I'm at university but I just don't know if I will have time... In terms of a part time job, is there many opportunities for one? The area just looks quite small so it worries me that I might not be able to find anywhere to earn some money.
University of Hertfordshire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Btsfangirl01)
Hi thank you so much for the reply! I have been to the open day and was really blown away by how amazing the animation courses are, I just never had time to look around the area so I never saw Hatfield. There seems to be a good amount of things to do on campus so that's good! Just interested though, I've heard that the animation courses are pretty intense so there's not a lot of time to attend any societies, is this true? Naturally the course is the most important thing and I don't mind spending lots of time committed to the work, but still it would be nice to join some societies and also I would like a part time job while I'm at university but I just don't know if I will have time... In terms of a part time job, is there many opportunities for one? The area just looks quite small so it worries me that I might not be able to find anywhere to earn some money.
Hi Btsfangirl01,

You're welcome, glad I could help. That's lovely to hear, our animation students' work is amazing!

The workload is intense but you'll still have time to attend freshers fair, join societies etc. Across the uni, wednesday afternoons are usually kept free of lectures/seminars so you have time to take part in other aspects of uni. You might like to take a look at this thread where one of our current animation students, George, replies to some similar questions.

A lot of students work for the uni as student ambassadors which is a great way to fit a job in around your studies. Otherwise there are local shops where there will be part-time work. Student jobs are also listed on the SU website here: https://hertfordshire.su/jobs/browse/

Thanks,
Heather
Yourmainmancj
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s bad started a computer science msc here and quit because the lecturer didn’t teach us any code and wanted us to find it on the internet, he then got angry when I actually did the assignment then claimed I must have had help and gave me a low mark with no explanation of why.....
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Moved to University of Hertfordshire forum.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (48)
31.17%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.34%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
21.43%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
9.09%
No - I live at home during term anyway (40)
25.97%

Watched Threads