The Student Room Group

anyone else have food issues?

I had bad issues with food for a few years, not diagnosed with anything but bad anxiety and overexercising, it was suppressed for a bit, but has started to come back. I was just wondering if anyone else has any issues and how you deal with them :/
Moved to Mental Health
Reply 2
Well I think you need to try to educate yourself about food and diet, try to learn things like 1 chocolate bar today won't make me/you/us fatter, but having 1 today 1 tomorrow 1 the day after might just do. It's pretty much the same for any of the foods we eat, too much too often and we will obviously gain weight but having smaller amounts or unhealthy options less often is certainly the way to go.
Also don't be afraid of eating too many fruits/vegetables, you would need an insane amount of these (unless they were all potatoes) to actually gain weight. Try to have a good relationship with food and have a little something of what you like every now and then even if it's unhealthy - only by actually having it and not seeing your weight increase will you learn to trust in what I am telling you.
Good luck with overcoming your issues.
I think you need to kind of reflect on what’s happening and how it’s affecting your life. Don’t suppress your feelings, you gotta understand them to overcome them. For example, do you go out of your way, do you purposely stop yourself from eating? Do you go out of your way to exercise even when you don’t want to or have a lot of other things to do or you’re in pain? And why? What motivates you from not eating when you want to or if you want to, and what motivates you to exercise? What’s your goal?
Original post by mollz_molly
I had bad issues with food for a few years, not diagnosed with anything but bad anxiety and overexercising, it was suppressed for a bit, but has started to come back. I was just wondering if anyone else has any issues and how you deal with them :/

What kind of food issues? Intolerances or diet issues like anorexia?
Don't worry you aren't alone. My food issues have been all over the place. Just going to put s spoiler as may be triggering

Spoiler

Original post by paul514
What kind of food issues? Intolerances or diet issues like anorexia?

Issues as in restricting and not wanting to eat due to body image :/
Issues as in restricting and not wanting to eat due to body image :/

The only way to deal with those issues is to tell people around you and see your doctor to be referred for treatment, the sooner you do this the better.
Original post by paul514
The only way to deal with those issues is to tell people around you and see your doctor to be referred for treatment, the sooner you do this the better.

Yeah, thank you. I have came a loooong long way from where I used to be, it’s very minor in comparison :smile: thank you :smile:
Yeah, thank you. I have came a loooong long way from where I used to be, it’s very minor in comparison :smile: thank you :smile:

However minor the same advice still stands, these things can grow like a cancer in your mind

I agree with Paul514, I have anorexia and had I gotten help earlier I wouldn't be as ill mentally (and physically) as I am now. Because you're self-aware enough to know you have a problem you should seek help for it. I regret not getting help earlier.

My wife has a history of anorexia/bulimia. She has found having a food diary helpful. So we plan our meals a week in advance, so she doesn't have time to stress out too much on the day as it's already decided.

We also don't have scales so she can't weigh herself.

We have also made statements for her to say to herself when she feels anxious and doesn't want to eat - e.g. "if i don't eat, science shows that I will start to gain weight"

Also developed a flowchart for her to follow with lots of distractions when she wants to purge.

Quick Reply

Latest