Should I stop applying to top grad jobs if I done have a first? Watch

bobking
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I finished my degree in September 2017 - after getting rejected left, right and centre for my chosen career for the first nine months,I've been job-hopping throughout the country to build up 'experience' - usually in jobs that didnt require a degree. I now have a decent work experience, but only feel like I'm on par with a fresh graduate. I am still applying to jobs/internships - mainly in consultancies, think tanks, research institutes and political offices (I did a degree in politics - both MA and BA). But I graduated with a 2.1 and Merit on both occasions - I do have firsts in my transcripts but usually that one 2.2 module let me down. I know these roles are competitive but nearly everyone I've googled/seen on linkedin have 1st degree grades and I feel outclassed in this regard. While initially I was worried about my experience, I feel my academic results let me down. Usually 2.1 is a good grade - and I'm sure is enough for the vast majority of grad schemes and jobs, but am I setting the bar too high for myself?
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by bobking)
I finished my degree in September 2017 - after getting rejected left, right and centre for my chosen career for the first nine months,I've been job-hopping throughout the country to build up 'experience' - usually in jobs that didnt require a degree. I now have a decent work experience, but only feel like I'm on par with a fresh graduate. I am still applying to jobs/internships - mainly in consultancies, think tanks, research institutes and political offices (I did a degree in politics - both MA and BA). But I graduated with a 2.1 and Merit on both occasions - I do have firsts in my transcripts but usually that one 2.2 module let me down. I know these roles are competitive but nearly everyone I've googled/seen on linkedin have 1st degree grades and I feel outclassed in this regard. While initially I was worried about my experience, I feel my academic results let me down. Usually 2.1 is a good grade - and I'm sure is enough for the vast majority of grad schemes and jobs, but am I setting the bar too high for myself?
Hi OP, I work in the political world - it is possible to get in somewhere without a 1st or distinction. In my case I have a 2:1 and merit and had interviews with think tanks and consultancies before finally securing a role in a different type of organisation in the political world. At no point was my rejection post interview due to my university grades, it was always because I hadn't answered a question or questions very well and not demonstrated enough interest in the particular area of politics the organisation was operating in. Competition for these roles is insane with at least 80 applications per internship and sometimes closer to 100 so you can't afford to make any mistakes. Your cover letter has to be tailored each time and very clearly say why you want to work for that particular organisation, at interview you have to get every question spot on. And experience beyond the classroom is always valued- some places care only about relevant experience in a political environment, for others any office based experience is good.
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Your academics are not the issue
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1523)
79.24%
Leave (399)
20.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed