sanches26x
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi, my name is Gabriel, I am from Brazil and currently applying to study Economics and Politics here in the UK. I self-studied to take three CIE A Levels (Economics, Maths, Further Maths) last November, I recently received my grades, which were DCD in order.
I feel like ****, but that's not the topic hahaha What I wanted to know is what would be my best course of action, I will list my qualifications below and hope any of you could help me choose my UCAS options and if it is possible any good uni would accept me.

-A Levels: DCD as stated above
-AS Levels: I have a NARIC statement of comparability stating that all my brazilian high school grades compare to AS Levels here, I have 6 subjects and they are all around grade B, which would sum some UCAS points.
-University: I have two years of a physics university in Brazil with an average of 5.1/10.

I am also a mature student, don't know how flexible unis could be with that.

*Also, I don't know if I'm going to resit the A Levels, but if I decide to do it after unis rejected me would I be able to?*

Thank you
Finnerzerz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
You should look at universities which accept UCAS tariff points, most that do will accept 112 ucas points (which is reachable with your grades, I think). There's also the option of taking an entrance year for some courses if you don't reach the grade requirements.
sanches26x
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by Finnerzerz)
You should look at universities which accept UCAS tariff points, most that do will accept 112 ucas points (which is reachable with your grades, I think). There's also the option of taking an entrance year for some courses if you don't reach the grade requirements.
Thank you! Do you know where I can find which ones accept it?
Finnerzerz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by sanches26x)
Thank you! Do you know where I can find which ones accept it?
Quite a few do, and the amount of UCAS points vary between courses. The only ones I know for sure that accept UCAS points are Chester, Liverpool Hope and Manchester met, but there are loads more which I can't remember. You can find out on a universities course entry requirements page.
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Your grades are low to get you into this kind of course. You would be better off resitting and applying with higher grades which would give you more options. I suspect you will find some universities who will accept you especially through clearing but retaking your exams seems the better option.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi sanches26x :hello:

It may be that when applying to university in the UK, you're eligible for a Foundation programme with the current UCAS points you hold. It would be worth looking in to this as an option if you are worried that universities could decline your application, as after successfully completing this you may be in a better position to apply for Undergraduate courses. Sometimes universities offer foundation courses as a direct route on to a given course.

You typically apply in the same way for Foundation courses, via UCAS, and you may wish to contact universities offering Foundation programmes to check your eligibility with slightly lower Tariff points beforehand.

If you were worried about resitting your A-levels, an Access Course may be a better option. This may be a little more accessible than resitting your A-levels and can help contribute to your overall tariff points.

I hope this helps!

Katie
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (119)
64.67%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
21.2%
Yes but I might change my mind (26)
14.13%

Watched Threads