Parents are making me give £25 a month towards rent Watch

Ana Jane
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
im 18 and have a part time jobs where I work weekends and the odd evening but my parents are demanding me £25 towards rent, how is this fair?
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ana Jane)
im 18 and have a part time jobs where I work weekends and the odd evening but my parents are demanding me £25 towards rent, how is this fair?
Because you live in their house and use water and electricity etc. You're an adult with a job. £25 a month is peanuts.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
Well let’s be real they keep a roof over your head, probably buy the food you eat, pay for the gas and electricity and support you in lots of ways. This is way less expensive than if you lived on your own.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Lol stop being an ungrateful little ****, you're 18 and working so why shouldn't you help? Be grateful it''s only £25, or you could move out and get your own house and pay £300+ a month for rent
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Didn't we do this thread last week? Funny how it's a 'brand new' user posting it.
Daigan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Tell them you won't pay. And if they don't like it they can move out of the house. That'll learn 'em.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
£25 is not bad, be glad to swap places you pay my £400 per mont rent instead
Anonymous #4
Report 1 week ago
tell them you are being made to feel unwelcome in your own house and will threaten to up sticks and be cold & distanct with them.
independentx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You're an adult, you're working - why shouldn't you pay your way? That's what adults have to do! Goodness, I'm 16 and if I had an income I'd offer to pay. They (presumably) still provide for you.
xBeautifulMind
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My parents have made me pay £12.50 rent per week since I turned 18. And I was on disability benefits at the time but they still demanded rent! I did think it was pretty harsh of them but to be fair, you are an adult now and it's the least you can do to help out, especially if you don't do many chores around the house! Being an adult sucks
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't agree with parents charging their teenage or adult children rent.
But your parents may have severe financial problems and need contributions towards household bills.
Are their any bills or services that only you use?
Things like monthly mobile bills or sky subscription.
If so, you could offer to have those services transferred into your name so you make all the payments.

Your parents are not forcing you to pay or robbing you, they are asking you.
They may be asking you in a way that sounds like a demand.
But you are under no legal obligation to pay- they cannot take you to court to force you to cough up.

The thing you have to consider is- it is worth paying the £25 a month?
If you refuse to pay- your parents could cancel some accounts to reduce household bills, stop providing you free meals or even ask you to move out.
I chose to leave rather than pay to be treated like that and will never set foot in my parent's home again.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My rent is 6 times that for a small studio. My shop for 2-3 days comes to about £30 each time.

How are you thinking £25 is a big deal?
CollectiveSoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
My rent is 6 times that for a small studio. My shop for 2-3 days comes to about £30 each time.

How are you thinking £25 is a big deal?
it's prob not about the money but the fact that her parents are treating her like a lodger... why do people on TSR think this is ok? if they are poor then fine, but i bet they go on holidays and everything
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
it's prob not about the money but the fact that her parents are treating her like a lodger... why do people on TSR think this is ok? if they are poor then fine, but i bet they go on holidays and everything
So? They are a lodger once they become an adult, and if they are still being treated as a kid they should definitely be paying something towards the house.
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Here we go again.........
CollectiveSoul
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
So? They are a lodger once they become an adult, and if they are still being treated as a kid they should definitely be paying something towards the house.
if you are still living with your parents and in full-time education then it's reasonable that an 18 year old doesnt think of themsevlves nor should be treated properly as an adult.

there is something callous about parents waiting for the clock to strike 00:00 on their 18th birthday before making them pay their own way

i bet her parents still lecture her about not drinking too much when she goes out etc.
Anonymous #5
Report 1 week ago
Paying board to parents is ridiculous.

Don't breed and bring them into the world if you can't afford to provide for them no matter how old. Give them the opportunity to start saving for their own life.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
Because when you're an adult earning money, it's reasonable to ask you to contribute to the cost of the house you're living in. It's not like they've surprised her with a third of the mortgage or something, it's absolutely reasonable now that the OP is in work.
sqrt of 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
oh no... here we go again!
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
nah i dont think its right if you're like struggling but see, when i lived at home I didnt pay rent and things like that, but I shared ALL my food buys and re-stocked the bathroom and toiletries and that and like handed over emergency money and gave my siblings cash and that, so maybe thats why i didnt get asked to pay rent. Oh and like didnt ask my mum or anyone for anything so i didnt stress em out and that.

wow i say "and that" a lot **** me haha
Last edited by Bang Outta Order; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (6)
17.14%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (16)
45.71%
Nope, not that interesting (13)
37.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed