The Student Room Group

What degree should I do??

I’m in L6 and I know that I want to go to university but I have no idea what to study at uni?? I study maths french and history for my a levels but don’t think I want to do any of them individually at uni help?!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by anniebellie13
I’m in L6 and I know that I want to go to university but I have no idea what to study at uni?? I study maths french and history for my a levels but don’t think I want to do any of them individually at uni help?!

Hi @anniebellie13

Please don't panic - it's perfectly normal for you not to know what you want to do at this point and I know it can be really hard to know where to start.

I'd suggest trying to think about which subject areas do/don't interest you (after all, that's all you'll be studying for 3 years!) - that way you can start to rule things out altogether which should help to give you more of a focus. When you're thinking about this, in addition to considering which subjects you enjoy, you might also want to consider what careers these degrees typically lead to and if they do/don't interest you. Again, this should help you to rule some things out.

I'd then have a browse of some university websites to get a feel for the type of courses on offer. I'd also suggest attending some UCAS fairs - you can find a list here. These fairs give you the opportunity to chat to reps from each uni about the courses available - and should help to bring some courses to life a bit more than the website/prospectus.

Once you've started to narrow it down from there, it's probably a good idea to contact the enquiries teams from each university - these guys are trained to answer questions about their uni and courses so are super knowledgeable and helpful.

At this point, because you seem so unsure, I'd also suggest considering other alternatives like apprenticeships - just so you know what all of your options are. This should allow you to make the best decision!

Hope that all helps!

Thanks

Amy

Quick Reply