Cambridge 2019 Decisions [no discussion] Thread

Watch this thread
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
It's decision time!! You can post in this thread and let everyone know your outcomes. If you have been successful, congratulations. If not, commiserations and we're sure you'll do fantastic at whatever university is lucky enough to have you!

*Decisions arrive on Monday, 14th Jan. I've opened this thread a bit early so you can create a placeholder for the day, and perhaps fill in the reflection parts unaffected by the actual decision

If you have an offer can you also update AcornFalls spreadsheet here please
Form: https://goo.gl/forms/sEOBKxgK4U4ml09q2
Results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Please use the following format, deleting the bits that aren't relevant to you:
Decision: Pending
Decision: Accepted
Decision: Accepted from Pool
Decision: Rejected

(Can I ask if those of you completing this thread early to include a note of your predicted decision, together with your actual decision when you get it - I think it will be very helpful for future candidates Image)

Course:
College: (original college, plus fishing college if pooled)
Offer Conditions:
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/ucas/owl):
Where were you when you heard?

Optional
Home, EU or International (Country):
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other):
GCSE Grades:
AS Subjects & Grades (include UMS if you have it):
A2 Predictions:
Other Qualifications
IB (with predicted score):
Other:

Reflection
Strengths:
Weaknesses:
Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment (e.g. NSAA, CSAT, ELAT, ENGAA, BMAT, etc): (include what you think you scored: 1=bad, 10=excellent)
Interview Assessment: (include what you think you scored: 1=bad, 10=excellent)
Why did you chose your college?
What other universities did you apply to?
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice?
If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight?

General Comments & Advice for others:

Any official feedback received from your college:
(if you haven't got this yet it would be very helpful if you could edit it into your post when you receive it. NB offer holders won't receive feedback)

---
Best of luck to everybody!
Please note this is not a discussions thread. Discussion will be removed.
Useful links:

HT Zacken for the format, again, again
Last edited by Doones; 3 years ago
Gabzinc
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
wow I'm early :3

Decision: Rejected from Pool (as I thought!)

Prediction: Rejected from Pool
Course: Natural Sciences
College: Jesus College
Offer Conditions:
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/ucas/owl):
Where were you when you heard?
Home, EU or International (Country): Home
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Private
GCSE Grades: 9A*, 1A
A2 Predictions: 4A* (Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry)

Reflection (pre-decision):
Strengths: Personal Statement, SAQ, Section 2 NSAA
Weaknesses: Second interview

Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment:
NSAA - 6/10
For Section 1 NSAA, I think it went alright, I feel like I will have got about 60% of marks (again you can't really know). I think Section 1 maths was really hard and I could only do about half the questions before realising that half an hour had gone. Section 1 Chemistry was better (I would say easier than other years?) and so I could do almost all of them, but I had a strict timing plan so I left out the last few. Section 1 Biology, from what I remember wasn't too hard but I had started to run out of time so I could only do about twelve of them- I definitely got some wrong too. The blanks I just filled in randomly. That's what I love and hate about the NSAA, it promotes guessing, so naturally there will be a lucky some that gained a couple marks through blind guessing and others that aren't as lucky :/
Section 2 was good-ish.
Interview Assessment - 6.5/10
I felt my first interview was decent. I answered their questions quickly at first and gave some insightful answers, but I made a couple mistakes, and I messed up quite notably on a question at the end of the interview, which took me a good 5 minutes. I might be seen as too slow in their eyes, I think. Exactly the same can be said for my second interview, although the interviewers spent (what felt like) almost half the interview trying to get me to realise something so simple. (oops!)

The pros and cons list on TSR said Jesus has a large number of ensuite rooms
Durham, Imperial, Warwick, KCL
It's a tie between Durham and Imperial.
Durham will fill the void that Cambridge will leave (and it's great in its own right), Imperial is academically amazing - don't know! Will probably spend a few weeks deciding.

Feedback received: 18/03/2019
Good GCSE record, especially in the sciences. Good personal statement that demonstrated wide ranging interests and my referee seemed to be supportive of my application. My NSAA was very strong, esp Section 1. For section 1, I was above the median of the university for Maths, Chem and Bio. For Section 2 my results were at the median for the College. Interviews solid, but not outstanding. Good answers with detailed knowledge BUT needed prompting at times. Had difficulty performing some calculations for my first interview. For my second interview, I was good when talking about topics with which you are familiar but were (should say weren't? idk) able to take on new ideas and apply them. Overall, I was engaged, articulate and thought around the novel problems presented showing enthusiasm for the subject and flexibility of thought. NSAA and interviews respectable, but not as good as the strongest candidates, which I was why I was pooled.

General Comments:
Pretty happy with the feedback - it's positive, which is a confidence booster ( a bit). Surprised that Section 2 was worse than Section 1, I would have thought it would be the other way around. Interview feedback is what I expected, I had questions I normally would have been able to do but just drew blanks and started thinking out loud. I would say thinking out loud without a filter is dangerous. Think for a bit, then decide on what sounds feasible, then describe your thought process. I'm happy with the fact that I actually got feedback, and I'm ready to close this chapter. Good luck, next year's applicants!
Last edited by Gabzinc; 3 years ago
CompSciCat
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Decision: Accepted!

Course: Computer Science <3 (75% option)
College: Queens‘
Offer Conditions: unconditional (apart from financial guarantee)
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/ucas/owl): e-mail at 9:50 UK time
Where were you when you heard? sitting on my bed, talking with my mum, got the notification while I was holding my phone and went into shock when I saw the words “I am delighted...” in the preview

(Filled everything apart from general comments out pre-decision to avoid bias)

Home, EU or International (Country): EU (Germany)
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): state
Other Qualifications: (achieved, I’m on a gap year) German Abitur: 1.0 average (final exams in Maths (15 points), English (15 points), Chemistry (14 points), Ethics (14 points), German (12 points), semester grades varied quite a bit and would be to many to list but I guess my 14/15 points in computer science every semester are relevant as well)

Reflection
Strengths: achieved final grades, decent supercurriculars (with lots of maths-related stuff), interviews went alright hopefully
Weaknesses: admissions test could’ve gone better, overall solid application but not super impressive or anything :/
Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment: had to write the CSAT and I’m estimating that I got around 60% optimistically (based on that in both sections, I finished 2 questions and attempted another 2 but didn’t fully finish, so I’m seeing that as the equivalent of about 6 questions). I was expecting a lot more from myself from the practice that I’ve been doing, plus there is always the possibility that I’ve got some of the questions completely wrong... (update: due to a FOI request I now know I only got about 51 in the CSAT, proof you can get an offer with a relatively low score)
Interview Assessment:
First interview (CS): I felt really good coming out of it, discussing things from my PS was pretty cool and the CS question was really fun, although it felt a bit too easy since I didn’t really have any problems with it. Only regret I have is that I think like I made it sound like I haven’t done anything apart from a single competition and school work in terms of involvement with CS, because I slightly panicked when choosing stuff to talk about and forgot to mention personal projects I did in the past months. Overall maybe an 8 if I’m thinking optimistically?
Second interview (Maths): This one I felt less good about, I was pretty tired at this point and there were several moments were I said embarrassingly stupid things and I was probably a bit to slow. Nonetheless I managed to solve the problems without needing much help and thankfully never froze up after making a mistake. So generally maybe a 6?
I honestly don’t know whether my perception of the interviews was accurate, maybe I was horrible without noticing... but I really enjoyed my interviews so I’m hoping my initial gut feeling of them going pretty well is correct 🤞
--> Prediction: overall I feel about 50:50 about my chances, but probably leaning closer towards another rejection (should be at least pooled though)

Why did you chose your college? I first narrowed it down to a couple of colleges through looking at websites and stuff, then I chose Queens’ because at that point I was planning on applying for the “with Maths” option and Queens’ encourages gap years for maths. Additionally they take a good number of CompScis every year. And after staying there at interviews I really fell in love with it, it’s such a good mix of old and modern architecture and it has the nicest students and applicants 😊
What other universities did you apply to? Imperial (Joint Maths Computing, offer), Edinburgh (Computer Science and Maths), UCL (Mathematical Computation), St. Andrews (Computer Science and Maths)
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? none, since offer is unconditional

I’m a reapplicant, gonna link my post from last year for an interesting comparison: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...586&highlight= (not sure this links correctly but it’s on the first page)
It’s been a dream of mine for a couple of years, and having been rejected last year it’s been particularly sweet getting an offer now, I still can’t quite believe it.
What I will say is that I wouldn’t have regretted reapplying even if I had gotten rejected, since I got some closure from giving it a decent shot this year, I made some amazing friends along the process, and as last year it’s been a really good experience (despite the horrible stress ). And while my gap year hasn’t been the most exciting, it’s been good to have a bit of a break and gain some perspective on life. However, I also know that many people who decided against reapplying have a great time at a different uni right now, and that there are also many people who unfortunately somehow get rejected a second time despite having amazing applications 🤷🏻 There is definitely quite a bit of luck involved in the admissions process, I am not sure why I was accepted while others I thought would were not. So to those debating between reapplying or going to a different uni, it’s good to consider all these aspects. For computer science applicants, be sure to do lots of maths and be comfortable solving problems out loud in the interview. Generally, try to enjoy the interview, it’s a fantastic opportunity. Feel free to message me if someone has more questions

(sorry this is probably hard to read but TSR doesn’t let you bold stuff when editing apparently)
Last edited by CompSciCat; 3 years ago
nicholasflee
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Decision: Pooled then rejected

Course: Bio Natsci
College: St Catharine’s
Offer Conditions: N/A
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): email 7:50 am

Optional
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Grammar
GCSE Grades: 8A*s 3As, A in add maths
AS Subjects & Grades (include UMS if you have it): n/a
A2 Predictions: 4A*s (Maths,Bio,Chem,German)
Other Qualifications
Other: Work exp, olympiads in chem and bio, attended masterclasses

Reflection
Strengths: PS, preds, first interview
Weaknesses: probably NSAA, second interview maybe
Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment (e.g. NSAA, CSAT, ELAT, ENGAA, BMAT, etc): (include what you think you scored: 1=bad, 10=excellent) 5 (idk what to think of it)
Interview Assessment: (include what you think you scored: 1=bad, 10=excellent) 1st interview: 8, 2nd interview: 6
Why did you chose your college? Seemed right in terms of size, location, reputation and accommodation
What other universities did you apply to? Imp, UCL, Bristol, Bath, Zurich
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Imp
If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? Probably Zurich

General Comments & Advice: You will invest so much energy and emotion into the whole process (much like a degree), the whole process is testing yourself to see if you are suited for cam.
Last edited by nicholasflee; 3 years ago
stimtothesky
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
[size= 2]Decision:Offer from pool[/size]
[size= 1]Course: Veterinary Medicine [/size]
[size= 1]College: Applied to St Catharine's, pooled to Downing [/size]

Offer Conditions: A*AA with the A* in chemistry (found out at 18:30 on the 15th)
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/ucas/owl): Email at 9:34
Where were you when you heard? At home

School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Private
GCSE Grades: 8 A*s 89, A in Additional Maths
A2 Predictions: A*A*A* in Biology, Chemistry, Maths
Other Qualifications EPQ A*
Other: ~20 weeks work experience

Predicted outcome: Offer
The odds are pretty good (3 applicants per place), and really the only thing that went wrong was being a bit average. They say Cambridge is the easiest vet school for people good at science, so there you go. Fingers crossed!

I filled this in before the decision to avoid reflecting in a positive or negative light

Reflections and comments

Reflection

Strengths: Grades, personal statement, reference, work experience, maybe the maths section of the NSAA, parts of the interviews, (potentially also coming from ACORN/POLAR target area for widening participation, although this is less of a strength and more of an excuse for weaknesses, so don’t think it’ll make much of a difference)
Weaknesses: Bits of the interviews, section 2 of the NSAA

Pre-Interview Admissions Assessment (NSAA): I thought the maths section 1 was pretty easy compared to past papers, the chemistry and biology were ok, but section 2 I got flustered and didn’t explain myself very well at all! I realised so many answers straight after the test which was very frustrating- and the biology essay was not ideal. Optimistically a 4-5 out of 10, realistically probably more like a 3 depending on how they mark it. Hopefully it doesn’t matter so much because I’m a vet med app instead of bio natsci...

Interview Assessment: 1=bad, 10=excellent: First interview was more general, started with a very expected question (I cringe at my answer now, I got a bit over enthusiastic oops), then talked about work experience. The interviewer corrected me a lot but I took it on board so maybe that shows I’m teachable? I learned a lot from that section of the interview which was cool because I’ve talked about that case study in other interviews and never been told a lot of that stuff! Then we did a maths question which I did okay on I think (bit rusty on my graph skills but I got it from his prompt so again, showing I’m teachable?), and finally a more abstract question which took me absolutely forever. I sat there trying to think out loud while my brain blanked and none of the prompts where getting me anywhere! I got there in the end but it was slow. I came out feeling good, probably would’ve rated it an 8 straight after but it’s probably more realistically a 5 or 6.

Second interview was more science based with two interviewers. The first few questions were biology based and I think I answered them okay but I didn’t expand very much. We moved on to some more abstract questions which I tackled okay, and I found the whole thing pretty interesting. Then a bit of chemistry, . I don’t think any of the questions were super hard but we got through quite a lot so who knows? Overall an optimistic 9 but realistic 7. There were no huge disasters in either it's just hard to know how you are compared to everyone else...

Why did you chose your college? It’s pretty and central, close to Downing site, it had the least cons that I minded on the TSR pro cons list, and it’s cheap! Most of my other shortlist colleges had a big turnoff point (bad food, bad WiFi, expensive) but Catz didn’t. Turns out a lot of other people thought so too!
What other universities did you apply to? Liverpool, Nottingham, Edinburgh (and Chester for a course which I won’t be accepting).
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Tough choice between Cambridge, Nottingham (Interview), and Liverpool (offer). Edinburgh (Interview) is out of the running due to the commute to the vet school.

Advice for others: Take the process as it comes, don’t set your heart on oxbridge if it isn’t actually the best for you or your course, and do a lot of further reading! Start your PS and further reading as soon as possible, and for vet med make sure you reflect a lot on work experience (from a science perspective for Cambs) in your PS. Try not to stress about the interview, and make sure you prepare a case study (for vet med only, you might not be asked, but it’s worth being prepared). College choice also doesn’t really matter, don’t get too attached to a college and always bear in mind you might get pooled- it was a bit of a shock getting used to a new college! Good luck all the 2020 applicants!

Pre-outcome comments: I’m not nervous yet. I haven’t actually been nervous at all through this process, more very very impatient- think it’s because Cambridge isn’t the best for vet med so I’m not as set on going as some others. I'm so glad I applied though! To be honest I’m more worried about having to tell friends/family if I do get rejected. It does help that there’s two other applicants for Cambs at my school, and there were three Oxford, none of whom got in (although one had a pretty rough interview process which didn’t help). One of my best friends is a maths applicant which is super competitive so I feel like we’re in it together! I don’t know what it’ll be like if one of us gets in and the other doesn’t though (I’d rather it be her get in and me not, because she’s much more passionate about going than me).

Post-outcome comments: Over the moon! Think I’ll firm them, and Downing is so pretty Looking forward to telling my head of sixth who told me not to apply for Cambridge!
Last edited by stimtothesky; 3 years ago
ANatsci
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Decision: Accepted from Pool

Predicted Descision: Rejected but unsuccessfully pooled

Also, my offer was deferred (I applied for 2019 entry but got an offer for 2020 entry without me asking for it), which is most likely because of my age, I’m currently 16 and was born on 17/09/2002, so I would of just turned 17 at the beginning of my course, I’ll be 18 now.

Lil update: I got an academic transfer through the choral award scheme, so I now have an offer for Sidney Sussex college, 2019 entry.

Course: Natural Sciences (Biological)
College: Applied to Jesus, pooled to Newnham, transferred to Sidney Sussex
Offer Conditions: 8 average, 9 in bio and chem (Dutch VWO)
How did you first hear and when? : Email from Newnham (new college) at 14:39 UK time
Where were you when you heard? : In the kitchen, surrounded by friends who had come to visit me during my 'sick day' waiting for a decision!

Optional
Home, EU or International : EU, from the Netherlands
School Type : State (but the Netherlands has different school levels and I'm in the highest (top 15%) so I guess kind of like a grammar school
Other: Dutch VWO, predicted 9/10 average (typical offer is about 8/10 with a few subjects 9/10), my final grade so far is an 8 in Latin, 9's in Biology, Economics, English, Chemistry, Dutch, Further Maths and Physics and a 10 in maths. In y11 equivalent I got about an 8/10 average (maybe slightly lower)

Reflection
Strengths: Predicted grades, achieved AS-equivalent grades, second interview
Weaknesses: NSAA section 1 maths, first interview
Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment (NSAA): I would say about 4/10 in section 1 maths, I think I got about 40% but I think most people flunked that one, 6/10 in section 1 chemistry, it felt like loads of calculations and fast mental maths, 7/10 in section 1 biology. In section 2 I did both chemistry questions, didn't understand one sub-question but otherwise it went fine. Not as good as some of my practise though. I would say 7/10
Interview Assessment: I struggled a lot with some really easy questions in my first interview, kind of suffered in silence as well. I was just slow at picking up and I feel like I could've done so so much better. I did do okay in some other questions, but I really didn't shine at all and was at most average, I'd say 5/10. In my second interview I was much more relaxed, rolled with the punches, I probably came across really excited which is good and I had some creative ideas, so I think I did quite well on that one. The interviewers seemed really pleased and excited afterwards (although I've heard others say the same about these interviewers, so maybe they were just really excited people). I remember doing a little happiness dance after I came out, 8-9/10, I don't think I personally could've done any better. My interviews were 45 and 40 minutes long respectively.
Why did you chose your college? I liked how spacious it was, the modern art and modern attitude. I also wanted a good choir with not too much commitment, and Jesus female choir has 2 evensongs a week which is perfect. PaigeY on youtube seems to love it there and has a great group of friends. I wanted loads of things to do and a really social college, which Jesus is, and I liked the intellectual forum. I also wanted good food and vegetarian options.
What other universities did you apply to? Natsci at Durham, Biomolecular Sciences at st Andrews, maths and biology at Edinburgh (might apply to one more after descision day, probably York or chem/biochem at Edinburgh)
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Durham, depending on their offer conditions.
If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? Durham probably!

General Comments & Advice for others: Apply!! Especially if you're from a different country or an environment that otherwise doesn't encourage applying to oxbridge, there's a wealth of knowledge on the internet. Even being considered by oxbridge is so cool, and applying to cambridge really caused me to see life differently, take more opportunities and take responsibilty for my own education because of all the supercurricular stuff I did. I come from a country where most people just want to pass their exams and doing extra learning outside of school is unheard of, and the process taught me that I shouldn't depend on school to educate me, and that if you want to learn something you should just research it! It makes me fee really fulfilled to work on my online course before school, and I depend so much less on grades and other external validation to be proud of myself. I had a great high school experience and did so many extra things that made my teenage years so worthwile. The process is absolutely emotionally draining, but teaches you so much about life, education and rejection.
Last edited by ANatsci; 3 years ago
RedGiant
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Filled in prior (minus the actual decision part) to avoid bias after decision:

Course: Physical Natsci
College: Magdalene College
Offer Conditions:
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/ucas/owl): Lighted beacons (jk, email) at about 12 PM.
Where were you when you heard? At school

Optional
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): State
GCSE Grades: 887A*A*A*A*A*AAB (basically, 7A*s, 3As, 1B)[*]-
AS Subjects & Grades (include UMS if you have it): AA in AS physics & chem + A in A Level maths (taken early; ECF covers this)
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A* (maths, FM, physics and chemistry).
Other Qualifications STEP I in year 12 (grade 1)
Other:

Reflection
Strengths: College test, ECF, C3L6 Rg, AS marks were quite good (30% above A grade for both), STEP
Weaknesses: Misleading maths grade (only a few marks off), NSAA, possibly interviews, probably other stuff
NSAA: 6 (ran out of time, it's impossible to judge, although I got an interview so maybe not awful)
Interview Assessment: 7 (Chemistry one was just maths/physics questions, found it pretty straightforward. The physics one was not too bad either, got through both questions fine, also felt that I picked up some concepts quite quickly).
Why did you chose your college? It makes you do a college test for natsci; only 2 other (and much larger) colleges do this. I like tests.
What other universities did you apply to? Warwick, Durham, Imperial and UCL.
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Not sure yet, I like all of them.
If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? Again, not sure yet, I like all of them.

I come from a pretty poor background, not many people go on to higher education where I'm from. My GCSE school was very under-performing (about an average of a grade D per student). As a result I didn't really get any support or special treatment as an Oxbridge candidate, but in my opinion that doesn't matter; you can access all the interview questions and problem solving questions you need online. My advice to any future applicant is to not listen to what your teachers/peers at school think is true about the application process; always check for yourself. And also, read past applicant threads and pick up on hints and mistakes that past applicants made, that way you'll know for yourself what is true and what is not. And don't always listen to what others are doing, if you feel you need to prepare lots then do that. But conversely, if you don't, just don't.

And don't feel that Cambridge/Oxford is everything, despite what people say/imply on here. Honestly, it's really not, I used to think it was when I was in year 11, I don't see it as all that now. At the end of the day, it's just a university among many other very good universities. Chances are you will get into a good uni if you have applied to Oxbridge.

(I'll fill this in after I get my decision)

Can't believe I got an offer, I thought my application wasn't good enough. Congrats to everyone else who got an offer, and commiserations to those who didn't quite make it.

[PREDICTION before 14th Jan]:
Outcome: Rejected
Reasoning: Although I think there are some strengths to my application, in context to my circumstances, I think there are too many negatives - the maths A Level grade, NSAA performance and possibly interview performance. I also don't think my application is competitive enough (in other words I think there are many more better applications than my own).
Last edited by RedGiant; 3 years ago
_gcx
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

Course: Mathematics
College: Queens'
Offer Conditions: A*A*A, including an A* in further maths, and 1, 1 in STEP II and III.
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/ucas/owl): 9:47am via email.
Where were you when you heard? School library.

Optional
GCSE Grades: 3 9s, 4A*s, 3As and a B
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A in maths, further maths, physics and history

Reflection
Strengths: Further reading, second interview.
Weaknesses:First interview.

Interview 1: 5 or 6/10 (got to the right thing in both of the questions, but nerves got to me and there were some awkward silences. Felt that I was being very abrupt and said some stupid things.)

Interview 2: 8/10 (much better. Made quite a few silly mistakes in the first question, but I had a much better feeling about it. I was a lot more relaxed in the interview to environment. Bar the silly mistakes, I wouldn't change too much about this one)

Why did you chose your college? Visited there on a school trip and loved it. Just defaulted to Queens' and didn't really pay much mind to any other college. I did look around Trinity, but I actually preferred Queens', and certainly did not fancy the potential competition.

What other universities did you apply to? Warwick, Bath and UCL

If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Warwick (AAA + 2 in STEP)

If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? Warwick

(if you haven't got this yet it would be very helpful if you could edit it into your post when you receive it. NB offer holders won't receive feedback)
Last edited by _gcx; 3 years ago
have
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

Course: Maffs
College: Corpus Christi
Offer Conditions: Still waiting to hear from them. Should be in the letter.
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/ucas/owl): Email, 8:32 AM
Where were you when you heard? I was in registration at school.
Home, EU or International: Home
School Type: Grammar
GCSE Grades: 998, 7A* 1A
A Levels: A* achieved in Maths in Year 12 (96% Raw Marks). Predicted A*A*A* in Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry

Reflection
Strengths:
Weaknesses:
Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment: At-interview Maths Test. Honestly accepted that I was gonna be rejected after I left the test. Found out during the interview that I did slightly better on the test than I thought. I guess like a 6.
Interview Assessment: I think the first interview went really well, I was getting through the questions swiftly without much help, so I'd rate that one a 9. The second one was pretty good, but had to get hinted at a basic thing, so I guess a 7. Overall like an 8.
Why did you chose your college? Small, central and pretty. Can't fault it.
What other universities did you apply to? UCL, Imperial, Warwick, King's College London. Preference in that order.
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Looks like it's UCL insurance
General Comments & Advice for others: Don't get stressed during or after your interviews. Obviously easier said than done, but you work so much better when you aren't as worried/nervous. Try and make friends / be friendly, it'll make the stay there so much nicer.

Last edited by have; 3 years ago
SarSat
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Reserving...Course: College:Offer Conditionsow did you first hear and when? (email/letter/ucas/owl):Where were you when you heard? OptionalHome, EU or International (Country): School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): GCSE Grades: AS Subjects
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Decision: Ladies and Gentlemen...we got em.
(Accepted)

Course: Maths
College: Corpus Christi
Offer Conditions: TBA
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/ucas/owl): email, roughly 8:40
Where were you when you heard?: Just got in the common room
Home, EU or International: Home
School Type: State Comprehensive
GCSE Grades: 998, 6A* 4A including A in Additional Maths
A Levels: Predicted 5A* in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Farsi (Native Language)
Other: BMO1 Y11 (2016/17), Silver in BMO1 in Y13 (2018/19) (46/60), Grade 8 piano, guitar (ABRSM).

Why did you chose your college?: Central, small, close to tesco extra.

Reflection
Strengths:
Weaknesses:
Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment: (STEP pending, but there was an at-interview maths test based on pre-reading). Mixed bag, did the questions, but you could definitely tell it was quite rushed, the interviewers seemed somewhat satisfied but still tried to pry more detailed proofs out of me lmao, I'd give it a 7 or 8.
Interview Assessment: First interview was decent, managed to get by the questions more or less unassisted, with some minor hints here and there if I was stuck, same went for the second interview really so I'll give it two 8s.
What other universities did you apply to? UCL, ICL, Warwick, Bristol.

General Comments & Advice for others: Don't spill energy drink on your pre-reading.

Last edited by thotproduct; 3 years ago
username3731912
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Decision: Rejected as expectedddddd
Prediction: Rejected, maybe after being pooled lol but obviously won't be told if that happened

Course: Law
College: King’s (chosen randomly. Literally. I liked the name.)
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/ucas/owl): N/A, hopefully owl
Where were you when you heard? I’ll be at school unless I don’t go in cause I feel so sick, benefits of a weak ass immune system

Optional
GCSE Grades: 6A*s and 4As
AS Subjects & Grades (include UMS if you have it): did French and got a B;(
A2 Predictions: A*A*A with an extra AS further maths

Reflection
Strengths: I genuinely don’t think I have like a really good bit in my application. My grades for Cambridge are average, I rushed my PS because I wasn’t gonna apply to Oxbridge until like a few days before my school’s internal deadline so didn’t read my books but said I did...
Weaknesses: can I say everything?? My admissions assessment (CLT) was horrific. It was horrific. I couldn’t choose a question to write for because none of them were particularly good for me. My intro and conclusion was genuinely awful, my points were weak and I finished fifty hours before everyone else...my first interview was ridiculously bad. Like I’m embarrassed by it right now, I didn’t understand the majority of the questions they asked and had to ask them to repeat so many times to which they kinda patronisingly explained basic stuff to me which was embarrassing. The second interview was alright. It was quite frustrating because I made a couple good points but they didn’t like hear me?? Or they weren’t listening?? So at the end they said something like you haven’t mentioned this yet, what do you think? I couldn’t really be like b**** I said it. Anyway, the interviews just consisted of my repeating basic things like yes I like law😂😂
Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment: the CLT, I’d say a 5 or I think if the tutor marking it was generous maybe maybe a 6. But that’s a stretch.
Interview Assessment: 1st was a 5, second was 6.5

Why did you chose your college? The name...
What other universities did you apply to? King’s, UCL, Warwick, have one more space!
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Warwick!
If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? I’d want UCL but I think I’ll be rejected cause my LNAT was bad lol

General Comments & Advice for others: don’t like stress that much about the interview or admissions test. I mean don’t put that much pressure on yourself, some ppl actually break down during the exam and interviews. Don’t do what I did, ie no prep for either other than read the books I did on my ps (that’s a lie, I read two chapters out of 8 from each book...)

Will post when I get it!
Last edited by username3731912; 3 years ago
SamCurry
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Decision : Rejected
Course: Maths
College: Christ's
Offer Conditions: n/a
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/ucas/owl): n/a
Where were you when you heard? n/a

Optional
GCSE Grades: 2 grade 9s, 1 grade 6, 5 A*s, 2 As, A^ in FM.
A2 Predictions: Maths A*, FM A*, Biology A*, Chemistry A*
Other Qualifications
Other: None

Reflection
Strengths: I think I responded well to *some* of their questions and was able to adapt to new suggestions well. At one point I successfully defended my answer even when being challenged which is quite good I think. I have good grades too, but that's standard for Cambridge I guess.
Weaknesses: I wasn't that good at expressing myself when explaining my answers, I had to repeat myself and sometimes I completely failed to get my point across. My nerves came across badly in the 2nd interview and I messed up simple integrations... Basically I made myself look bad at maths.
Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment : n/a (Not done STEP yet!)
Interview Assessment: (include what you think you scored: 1=bad, 10=excellent) 6 (I'm trying to keep a positive outlook here but it's tough)
Why did you chose your college? It's a nice size, central, places very well academically which fits me, close to shops, not regarded as super hard to get into (looking at you Trinity and Jesus) but still prestigious.
What other universities did you apply to? Warwick, Durham, Nottingham, Loughborough
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Nottingham A*AB
If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? Warwick A*A*A* (Yep.)

General Comments & Advice for others: Good luck is all I have to say.
Last edited by SamCurry; 3 years ago
etothepiiplusone
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Decision: Accepted what in the world
Decision prediction: offer from the pool

College: Trinity
Offer Conditions: 1, 1 in STEPs II and III, an A* and an A in FM and physics
How did you first hear and when? Email, 10:28
Where were you when you heard? School computers, literally ran out of school when I saw >I am very pleased to inform you

Optional
GCSE Grades: 999A^A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*
AS Subjects & Grades (include UMS if you have it): N/A
A2 Predictions: A* Further Maths, A* Physics, A* English Literature and A* (achieved) in Maths (year 12)
Other: STEP I in Y12 (achieved a 1 :|) and informatics and maths olympiad experience

Reflection
Strengths: In the interview itself I managed to solve 4 problems essentially from scratch which I felt was a fast rate and a very enjoyable experience.
Weaknesses: Everything else lol. In the assessment itself I managed 3 (three) problems which was several fewer than what I had hoped for
Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment (e.g. NSAA, CSAT, ELAT, ENGAA, BMAT, etc): (include what you think you scored: 1=bad, 10=excellent) The Trinity Maths Admission Quiz: I 'scored' 3+4 problems and would rate this 4/10 feelsbadman
Interview Assessment: (include what you think you scored: 1=bad, 10=excellent) This went better so 6/10
Why did you chose your college? I like doing maths is test conditions (or so I thought)
What other universities did you apply to? Imperial, Warwick, UCL
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Warwick or Imperial
If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? not sure atm, maybe I'd reapply

General Comments & Advice for others: Don't panic in your pre-interview assessments ...

Last edited by etothepiiplusone; 3 years ago
Dysf(x)al
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Decision: Accepted!!!

Predicted decision: I'm going to go all in and say a direct offer is the most probable outcome. But who knows. Plz no jinx...

College: Trinity (applied to)
Offer Conditions: AA (I already have A*A*) + 1,1 in STEP II and III
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/ucas/owl): Email - received 10:40am, only got to read it at 12
Where were you when you heard? It was the end of my physics lesson and the careers person walked into the room and asked if I'd heard lol. I didn't really want to check in front of everyone but she persuaded me to. Thankfully it said the right thing!

School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): State comp
GCSE Grades: 9A*, 2A, 8 and 7 (did maths early so was an A*)
Already completed/done early: Maths A-level (A* 586/600), Further Maths A-level (A* 575/600)
A2 Predictions: A*A*A* Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science
Other: BMO1 60/60 (2017), C3L6 Roentgenium, Grade 8 and ARSM in Piano, Grade 8 in Trumpet, a few other random competitions

Reflection
Strengths: The at-interview assessment went well and I think I explained the questions I completed well. I also spotted some neat solutions to questions that would otherwise have been more tedious.
Weaknesses: Once the interview progressed to my partially-completed questions, it took me quite a lot of hinting to get to the solutions.
Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment: Trinity has an at-interview assessment with 10 questions. I got 5 full solutions, 2 that needed minor tweaks and 2 partials which I'm pretty happy with so I guess a 9?
Interview Assessment: The later stages of the interview didn't go quite as well so maybe a 7.
Why did you chose your college? Having gone to a couple of maths olympiad camps, I learned that (a) everyone there seems to apply for Trinity and (b) I socialise best with other mathematicians. So it was a fairly natural choice for me. I also wanted a larger college as I'm used to large schools (my secondary school had 280 per year and my current sixth-form has over 1,500 per year - yes that's two zeroes!). I wasn't really put off by the fact it's notoriously hard to get into because the pool system should even it out and after a few setbacks elsewhere I felt I wanted to prove something to myself.
What other universities did you apply to? Warwick, Imperial, UCL, Bath (all straight G103/G107 MMath)
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Warwick.

If your college has a pre-interview assessment, try not to panic if you aren't getting answers. In the first 15 minutes I had not yet gotten anything I could even come close to calling a solution. I started worrying but thankfully I caught the panic before it got too much and eventually tied up the loose ends and spotted the sign errors to turn things around.

Also, if you apply for Trinity Hall, for goodness' sake don't turn up at the Trinity porter's lodge. Yes, the guy in front of me in the queue for room keys actually did this...
Last edited by Dysf(x)al; 3 years ago
username4407912
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Decision: Offer!

Course: Medicine
College: Trinity
Offer Conditions: A*A*A
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/ucas/owl): Email at 10:45
Where were you when you heard? In school

GCSE Grades: 13 A*
A2 Predictions: 3 A*

Reflection
Strengths: BMAT, GCSEs
Weaknesses: Supercurriculars
Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment (e.g. NSAA, CSAT, ELAT, ENGAA, BMAT, etc): 9
Interview Assessment: 6
Why did you chose your college? I just liked it when I visited and like the idea of a large, prestigious college
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Probably Bristol

General Comments & Advice for others: A lot of the decision is based on interview so don’t be put off by low BMAT scores or GCSEs or predicted grades. I think i did well in the interview because i had a genuine interest in the stuff i wrote about in my personal statement and the supercurricular work i had done. If you do get an interview, go up the night before and spent the days before the interview relaxing, not cramming. The last thing i want to say is that Doonesbury is a hero and if you have any questions he probably has the answer.
Last edited by username4407912; 3 years ago
cholelwt
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
{I'm guessing a probable yes or even a rejection that had to be an unsuccessful pool as I should qualify compulsory pooling}

Decision: Unsuccessfully Pooled

Course: Computer Science (75%)
College: Gonville and Caius
Offer Conditions:/
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/ucas/owl): owl; 12:00
Where were you when you heard? on a staircase going to lunch

Home, EU or International (Country): International, Hong Kong
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Private Sixth Form
GCSE Grades: 2A*s that I did for fun
AS Subjects & Grades (include UMS if you have it): Maths Physics Chemistry Chinese; 4As, average UMS 96% and 100% in all Maths unit did (including an A2 unit) so I should qualify Compulsory Pooling
A2 Predictions: Maths FM Physics Chemistry Chinese; A*A*A*A*A*
Others: had quite a few supercurriculars, and has quite a few licences on Diving

Reflection
Strengths: Maths! kinda okay in explaining and is willing to speak out when I solve questions
Weaknesses: Not having English as the first language and I started Chemistry without prior knowledge so that was a harder subject than others
Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment (e.g. NSAA, CSAT, ELAT, ENGAA, BMAT, etc): CSAT; 8(?) did 4A8B so is feeling okay
Interview Assessment: First Interview 7, had to pick up a hint; Second Interview 8, did more questions than others on the same day
Why did you choose your college? Location, history, size of UG CompSci (also those first year ensuite rooms that looks very nice)
What other universities did you apply to? Imperial (A*AAA + 2 in STEP I), St. Andrews (AAA), Southampton (A*AA/A*A*B), Bristol (A*AA), Uni of Hong Kong, HKUST

If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Imperial
> If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? Imperial + St. As and/or Hong Kong unis

I guess it is more disappointment than anticipated, I think I expected an offer due to extremely good stats on paper and a very decent CSAT, and interviews that I did more questions than others; still thinking probs I'm international they are stricter and I didn't do CompSci at A Level so that kinda made my knowledge "less than what they expected" cuz you know I only studied stuff I researched on my own.
Don't listen to people who say you got it cuz they'll just put way more weight on you. Tbf I'm more than glad about what I did in the interviews and I did get to the pool (I hope it's by merits but it seemed more like due to Compulsory Pooling) but since CompSci doesn't really use pooling I didn't benefit from it. That was a good experience and tho I think I'd like a reapplication next year I'd probably go on with Imperial where I'll try to apply for Masters here.
I don't really know what went wrong here I absolutely adored the Supo like interviews and I just didn't get that "I'm gonna get rejected" feel after that and is actually feeling pretty positive to that. Probably they're trying to reduce Private School rates but I really have to get over this.

Any official feedback received from your college: asked for feedback; takes time while I firm Imperial now

Updates: Haven't got Feedback yet, it's Caius and it's slow, but the FOIs have arrived.
55.2 in CSAT (not as good as expected considering the amount of full completions I have)
ranked 7th in college for CSAT, and 4 in College pool (seems like they have reserved more than 7 places for people who did worse than me eh? racism? or discrimination as I'm a private school lad?)
I'm now so looking forward to the feedbacks and how Imperial CS will overtake them
Last edited by cholelwt; 3 years ago
brownanya122
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Decision: Direct Offer (!)
Course: Law
College: Emmanuel
Offer Conditions: A*AA I think?
How did you first hear and when?: Email, 8:20 AM
Where were you when you heard? With my mum, walking down a road

Home applicant
School Type: State
GCSE Grades: 3x9’s 7 A*’s and an A
AS Subjects & Grades: Maths (A) RS (A)
A2 Predictions: 3x A*’s

(Prediction: Rejected)
Reflection
Strengths: Personal Statement, predictions, felt the CLT went ok
Weaknesses: probs the interview ngl
At-Interview Admissions Assessment:
CLT, about 5?
Interview Assessment:
5 for the first one, 3 for the second I think.
Seemed super friendly, fairly central and pretty!
What other universities did you apply to? Durham, Manchester, Nottingham and Sheffield

Manchester (Durham would have been my insurance but the asked for the same grades as cam)

Read around the topics that interest you for law especially! And practice reading comprehension type stuff, make sure you can apply principles.
Last edited by brownanya122; 3 years ago
dzb092
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Decision: Rejected
Predicted decision: Rejected (maybe unsuccessfully pooled)

Course: Geography
College: Sidney Sussex
Offer Conditions: n/a
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/ucas/owl): E-mail at 2:23pm (1:23pm UK time)
Where were you when you heard? At school

Optional
Home, EU or International (Country): EU (France)
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): State equivalent
GCSE Grades: n/a (closest equivalent : Brevet des Colleges 17.72/20 overall)
A2 Predictions: n/a
Other Qualifications
IB (with predicted score): n/a
Other: Taking the French 'S' (scientific) Baccalaureate with OIB

Reflection
Strengths: Strong past and predicted grades ; extracurriculars ; international background ; one of the interviews went particularly good ; first section of the GAA.
Weaknesses: I didn't have an application advisor so I had to manage pretty much everything myself (applied independently and had to ask one of my teachers to write a reference and provide predicted grades although she had no idea how to and didn't know Cambridge standards on that matter). Therefore, nobody could give me objective advice about my PS, or help me prepare for the GAA, or give me a mock interview. So yeah, wasn't really helped throughout the whole process, and considering some applicants get their PS written by someone else and have weekly mock interviews, this lack of advice and support might have kinda disadvantaged me.
Also, non-native English speaker so despite being practically bilingual I might have made some small grammar mistakes at some point without even noticing.
Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment (e.g. NSAA, CSAT, ELAT, ENGAA, BMAT, etc): (include what you think you scored: 1=bad, 10=excellent) 6 - thinking skills multiple choice went well, but the essay didn't, as I wasn't able to manage time properly (40 minutes is so short!!).
N°1 - 7-8 : A major part of the interview was focused on a topic I'm passionate about, so I could easily answer the initial questions which led to an interesting/challenging conversation.
N°2 - 3-4 : This one went much worse, I wasn't able to answer easy physical geography questions, and for some reason I was way more nervous on the 2nd interview than on the 1st one).
Why did you choose your college? Very central, looked friendly and close-knit, beautiful gardens, not too competitive, 24/7 library, not too expensive overall (accommodation, meals, formals etc)
What other universities did you apply to? UCL, Edinburgh, Durham and Exeter + some unis in France and the Netherlands
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? n/a
If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? not sure yet as no offers atm. If I don't get an offer from any of my top choices, I'll probably take a gap year and reapply this September.

Finally, if any potential applicants reading this need advice about applying independently (especially for French applicants who might be struggling as I did), feel free to PM me (but don't reply to this thread as it's No Discussion).

Any official feedback received from your college: They said my grades were encouraging and they did like my personal statement which is something I'm definitely proud of. However (as I thought) they said I wasn't able to convey enough critical thinking and knowledge during the interviews. The written assessment also seems to have gone worse than I thought. With hindsight I think I could probably have given it more preparation, but, well, alea jacta est. :-)
Last edited by dzb092; 3 years ago
ReubenBenkel
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Predicted Decision: Rejected without pool

Actual Outcome: Rejected (was pooled though)

Personal feedback was done before decision received to avoid bias

Course: NatSci (Phys)
College: Gonville and Caius
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/ucas/owl): 12:00 by email
Where were you when you heard? sitting in a cafe with my pals

Optional
GCSE Grades: 976A*A*A*A*AA
AS Subjects & Grades (include UMS if you have it): Chemistry, Physics, Maths (A* year early), Further Maths
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*
Other Qualifications
Other:

Reflection
Strengths: Predicted grades/already got 1 a-level and section 2 of the NSAA
Weaknesses: Interview was dreadful
Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment NSAA: 6/10, Section 2 went well, first physics question was a dream. Section 1 was a joke and completely messed up timings wise
Interview Assessment: 3/10. Second interview was alright, first one was dreadful as the physics was on my worst topic
Why did you chose your college? Nice location, nice accomodation
What other universities did you apply to? Bristol, Durham, York
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Bristol
If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? Bristol

General Comments & Advice for others: I did the best I could so I'm not going to reapply. I'm also not going to ask for feedback because I don't want to suddenly find out that I could have done better, I'm content atm. I am happy with my other choices (My Bristol offer is very low compared to what Cambridge would be).

Not going to bother
Last edited by ReubenBenkel; 3 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (65)
28.02%
As I expected (72)
31.03%
Harder (87)
37.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.45%

Watched Threads