The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

How nitty is Leeds University?

Hey guys ! I’ve applied to Leeds Uni, I really liked the atmosphere of the uni and the course but my friends & others keep telling me that everyone at the university do drugs and how it's a very drug intense uni compared to others. Is this true? Obviously people take drugs at every uni but I’m concerned about the drug culture and if my everyday life at uni are going to be involved with ppl who do drugs on a daily. Advice?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by lalisa1997
Hey guys ! I’ve applied to Leeds Uni, I really liked the atmosphere of the uni and the course but my friends & others keep telling me that everyone at the university do drugs. Is this true? Obviously people take drugs at every uni but I’m concerned if everyone around me are going to take drugs (I don’t do drugs and don’t want to get involved with people who do drugs on a daily). Please help!

You just said you are aware some people at all university’s do drugs.....

What help do you need you answered your own question.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Hey. I go to Leeds uni and some people do drugs, some don't. I'm pretty sure it's the same at every uni, me, my friends, non of the people I met in my residence do drugs so 💁*♀️ its a really good uni and Leeds is great! What everyone doesn't understand is at every uni, people are doing drugs l, but I have yet to witness a drug party or anything like that. Most people are really respectful of any decisions with that stuff, like if you say you don't wanna see it or don't wanna be a part of it, they respect that and don't do it around you. It's great, would deffo go!
Reply 3
lolol yeah but I’ve been hearing that leeds is a very intense drug uni “everyone takes it and you’re going to be one of those people” I’m just concerned about that
(Original post by paul514)You just said you are aware some people at all university’s do drugs.....

What help do you need you answered your own question.
Reply 4
Original post by cagelilz
Hey. I go to Leeds uni and some people do drugs, some don't. I'm pretty sure it's the same at every uni, me, my friends, non of the people I met in my residence do drugs so 💁*♀️ its a really good uni and Leeds is great! What everyone doesn't understand is at every uni, people are doing drugs l, but I have yet to witness a drug party or anything like that. Most people are really respectful of any decisions with that stuff, like if you say you don't wanna see it or don't wanna be a part of it, they respect that and don't do it around you. It's great, would deffo go!

That's good to hear as my friends kept telling me that it's a very drug intense uni but leeds gave me a reduced offer and I don't want something like this to stop me from firming them. Thanks for replying! What residence did you go for? I'm thinking of Henry Price or Lupton because its cheaper but not too sure as I heard from a few to go to for Lupton. What's your advice?
Reply 5
That's good to hear as my friends kept telling me that it's a very drug intense uni but leeds gave me a reduced offer and I don't want something like this to stop me from firming them. Thanks for replying! What residence did you go for? I'm thinking of Henry Price or Lupton because its cheaper but not too sure as I heard from a few to go to for Lupton. What's your advice?

I'm at Montague Burton. I was really bothered about en suite and stuff but now I'm in shared everythings fine. It's just been refurbished so it's really nice, we've had people come to ours from both those accommodations and they said its soo nice, our bins get taken every morning, they're really quick regarding any maintenance, that aren't bad with partying/pre drinking and it's 7 mins from the uni. I'd deffo come see it, it's undersuscribed so you'll more than likely get it, it's so nice and I think uni is what you make it (Apparently there's lots of internationals at Henry price, if that bothers you I dunno). I'm paying 112 a week for it and it's so worth it for what you get! regarding en suite, I am yet to encounter a time where all the toilets (there's 3 in a 9 bed flat, 2 in a 4) are full and I can't use them, I'm so glad I didn't apply for an oversubscribed one and get put in liberty dock, which happened to quite a few people on my course lol

If you wanna avoid drugs, then I'd avoid Lupton, just saying
That’s rubbish no worse than any other uni
Honestly, when I came to Leeds, I was absolutely petrified about the rumours of drug culture.

I don't think I have seen a single illegal substance since arriving here and I've been here for over two years. The vast majority of my friends don't do any substances, and the very few people that do would never think to push it on to anybody who didn't want to do it (why would they, drugs are expensive). Leeds is known more for being 'druggy' than some other universities, but you need to remember that Leeds is one of the biggest universities in the country, so it's probably just more the fact that there are more people in Leeds than it being a proportionality issue. If you have issues in your halls in regards to drugs, remember that there are Residence Life Assistants (Subwardens) who will be able to assist, but I would be very surprised if this would happen.

Tldr; very unlikely you will experience drug culture if you are not looking for it, and if you do have issues, there are RLAs there to help. Drugs should genuinely be one of your lowest concerns.
You shouldn’t do drugs

Quick Reply

Latest