The Student Room Group

Can you afford a car at Uni?

Hey guys, so I've just started my lessons back up. I get around 11,000 at uni to live around 6 of that is rent, was wondering if it's worth getting a car? Like can I afford it? how much does a car cost to own?
Reply 1
lol i doubt it unless you drive without insurance
Think about parking. If you're at a large city university there will possibly be some spaces available somewhere (but they might not be very near) and if you're at a campus uni then it might be considerably harder. If you're paying for parking make sure you factor that in too because it can be pretty expensive.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by cagelilz
Hey guys, so I've just started my lessons back up. I get around 11,000 at uni to live around 6 of that is rent, was wondering if it's worth getting a car? Like can I afford it? how much does a car cost to own?

How long is a piece of string?

Factors:

- Insurance (costs me about £850 p/y, non black box, fully comp. Might be even higher for you depending on the car, location, mileage, usage reasons)
- Servicing, MOT (Full service + MOT, probably £150-180 p/y)
- Parking permit (Depends on the city. Anything from £20 to £300 p/y)
- Fuel
- General consumables (Windscreen wipers, tyres, brakes, fluids)

Work it out yourself. It's highly individual.
Reply 4
Original post by Blue_Cow
How long is a piece of string?

Factors:

- Insurance (costs me about £850 p/y, non black box, fully comp. Might be even higher for you depending on the car, location, mileage, usage reasons)
- Servicing, MOT (Full service + MOT, probably £150-180 p/y)
- Parking permit (Depends on the city. Anything from £20 to £300 p/y)
- Fuel
- General consumables (Windscreen wipers, tyres, brakes, fluids)

Work it out yourself. It's highly individual.

What car did you have? Thanks for the help!
Original post by cagelilz
What car did you have? Thanks for the help!

Tiny weenie car, Skoda Citigo.

I rate it highly. Very fuel efficient, easy to park and actually performs decently on the motorway.
Reply 6
Original post by Blue_Cow
Tiny weeny car, Skoda Citigo.

I rate it highly. Very fuel efficient, easy to park and actually performs decently on the motorway.

Might have a look at that! thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending