zitakosaras
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey everybody,Does anybody have any experience with UvA PPLE application process? I am going to send my application in a few days for 2019/2020 and was wondering how big the chances are that I get in at all. I am also interested in essay topics or impressions of the interview from previous year.
jachoparty
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey! I'm so happy to meet another PPLE applicant here. I've applied to UvA PPLE as an early bird for 2019 entry and just heard from them yesterday to proceed with the essay round. Since I'm still in the process of my own application, I'm not sure if I can give you much information; but I'll try to share as much as I can if you have any specific questions! I would also encourage you to visit this thread (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...rimary_content), where people from 2018 entry shared their experience with the application process. (i.e. essay topic, interview)

In terms of the acceptance rate, I think its something close to 20%. When I watched the PPLE Webinar on Youtube, they mentioned that they receive about 1000 applications every year, and accept 200 students in the end.

Anyway, I'm glad that you started a PPLE thread for 2019 entry! Hope we hear from more people here
Andrea_12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey! I applied as an early bird to PPLE 2019/2020 too and I got accepted! looking forward to get there! If anyone has any questions about the long application process let me know and also if someone has info on the course I’d really love to hear their options
zitakosaras
Rep:
?
Hey Andrea,
I have a ton of questions about the application Can you maybe just tell me/us how the essay and the interview was?
Do you have to take an IELTS/TOEFL etc, and a Mathematics tests?
Oh, and where are you from?
(Original post by Andrea_12)
Hey! I applied as an early bird to PPLE 2019/2020 too and I got accepted! looking forward to get there! If anyone has any questions about the long application process let me know and also if someone has info on the course I’d really love to hear their options
Andrea_12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey!
The essay question for this year's round was about imaging yourself as a PPLE graduate in a couple of years time and predicting which global issue our society will be facing and how the knowledge I've learnt from PPLE would help me approach it, so this was a question with various answers; gender equality, discrimination, global warming, religion, etc. Along with this you have to fill out a financial and study plan for them, they send the templates before you get the question so that you have enough time to submit everything at the same time. They give you a span of around 3-4 days to complete the essay and then it takes around 2 weeks I think to hear back from them and know whether or not you've made it on to the next round. Fortunately I did, so they sent me the slots available to do my interview, the girl who I did it with is actually one of the lecturers and she just gave me information about the course and asked things about me; it wasn't super professional or anything and the questions weren't hard to answer because they just want to know about you and whatever you've written in your motivation letter. Then, it took around 3 weeks or a bit longer to get their final decision.
I didn't have to take IELTS nor TOEFL or any extra maths requirements because Im currently doing A levels and one of them is maths so thats enough for them as long as a get minimum a D on it, although their requirements for A level applicants are ABB.
I was born in Venezuela but I've moved around a lot and I'm current living in Thailand.
Hope that helped a bit!
(Original post by zitakosaras)
Hey Andrea,
I have a ton of questions about the application Can you maybe just tell me/us how the essay and the interview was?
Do you have to take an IELTS/TOEFL etc, and a Mathematics tests?
Oh, and where are you from?
Last edited by Andrea_12; 1 year ago
zitakosaras
Rep:
?
And what is this financial and study plan about? I have seen it all over the website, but I really don’t get it. I am supposed to get an e-mail somewhere this week or next week if I am through foe the next round so 🤞
Andrea_12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They will send you the templates and you just have to look in the website and predict the possible expenses you may have once you move there and the study plan is also a template of one week worth of classes and you have to allocate 15 hours(or whatever the independent hours requirement is). Nothing too hard!
And what is this financial and study plan about? I have seen it all over the website, but I really don’t get it. I am supposed to get an e-mail somewhere this week or next week if I am through foe the next round so 🤞
Minus288
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi! Congratulations on everyone who's already received an offer and good luck to those applying! I applied to the PPLE program (early bird round) and got an offer. I'm still waiting for other university answers to confirm my choice. I visited Amsterdam and Utrecht a couple of weeks ago, and I really love the Netherlands and the university campuses. Regarding the PPLE program, all of the "reviews" I've seen are super mixed; some people love the course and others say it's a huge regret.

I've also applied for the PPE Program at Utrecht University and have an interview scheduled for next week, so we'll see what comes out of that.

So to anyone reading this post, I'd just like to ask, which program/university would you recommend between Utrecht PPE and Amsterdam PPLE?
zitakosaras
Rep:
?
Hi, what are the reasons that people regret PPLE? 😱
Minus288
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...4706506&page=6
Hi, what are the reasons that people regret PPLE? 😱
oxfordreject69
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Finished PPLE, was a lab rat (2nd generation graduate), psych

The program is definitely overall challenging, and the grades you get will clearly show the amount of work you put into University. However, if you choose to work less, that comes with the upside of being able to enjoy life in Amsterdam for three years. From a financial perspective, I would say it's definitely a much better option than the UK

The culture here is something different, from work hours to the open-mindedness of the teachers. Besides, as a PPLE-er, you enjoy a high status within the University, as PPLE is thought as an "elite". That may also be related to the fact that the building of the campus has special key cards so other students cannot enter the exclusive study space built for the program, or maybe because it received certification for being a "small-scale intensive" study program.

Related to the Talent Development Programme, it is indeed advertised as more than it was initially designed to be, but that leaves any prospective student the opportunity to join in, restructure it, or design any kind of events their peers may be interested in: take, from lectures about knowledge and content summarization and representation research challenges, to a "make-your-own" 3D printed figure at a local Amsterdam charitable business (previous events), all while being compensated for it (literally free coffee/tea the whole year and your own TDP office within the PPLE building)

The AIM study association leaves students again the option to organize things they'd want, from bringing-your-fave-lecturer-on-campus to debate/soccer clubs ^_^ - also again free coffee & little office in PPLE building

From how to change behaviors by influencing attitudes through rational-choice models combined with bounded generalized reciprocity and the cognitive toolbox of heuristics, to finding out how the European Union is the best international organisation that ever existed on the planet, this programme offers one a proper foundational education for becoming a civil servant, economist, marketer or any research-based job that combines any of the disciplines.

After finishing the programme, the best skill I got was being able to talk to anyone about any subject while feeling comfortable. Completely changed my small-talk skills and the way I talk to cab drivers, changing from blackout silence to foreign affairs or the implicit motivations which drive behaviors in individuals and how sometimes abusing human rights in 3rd world countries is better than leaving the individuals unemployed LOL

Overall: if you want to excel, through PPLE you definitely can. If you feel like it's not enough, you can take electives/minors from any of the 3 local universities for free (pay only PPLE tuition). If you want to chill and have an amazing time while passing through the courses, you will still definitely develop yourself a lot as an individual. PPLE changes the way you think about the world around you, and after 3 years following its' courses, I can say that it definitely proves the hypothesis is based on: you cannot solve societal challenges unless you have a proper view of the way society around you is constructed.
Last edited by oxfordreject69; 1 year ago
Breward
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Oxfordreject

What have you gone onto do, post PPLE?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (51)
60.71%
No (17)
20.24%
Not sure (16)
19.05%

Watched Threads