The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Oxford brookes uni chat 2019

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chloenickole
That’s what I’ve been told, but we can’t make the open days since we live in the States

Hi
Feel free to ask all your questions (and your parents) and we will attempt to get back to you with an answer as quick as possible

Amy
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Original post by Oxford Brookes University
Hi
Feel free to ask all your questions (and your parents) and we will attempt to get back to you with an answer as quick as possible

Amy

Thank you!! I sure will
Hey Choenickole,

Another option is if you are visiting Oxford before you start in September to book on a campus tour where you and your mum could come along and she can ask any questions she may have and get a feel for to university too so when it comes to saying good bye she may feel happier about being far away from you. If you would like to book this you can do it on this like- https://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-at-brookes/contact-and-meet-us/book-a-campus-tour/ the tour will last 1 hour and a student ambassador will take you around the Headington campus, one of our accommodation and the sport centre whilst giving you some information about each area along with way and an opportunity for you and your parents to ask any questions.

Hope this helps,

Charlotte
Student Ambassador

Original post by chloenickole
That’s what I’ve been told, but we can’t make the open days since we live in the States
I have applied for business and management undergraduate program. I want to know if this university is good for business courses
I'm a post-graduate business student at OBU, so my answer to your question will be it really depends on what you are looking for. The business school's lecturers cover a wide range of areas of business, management, finance, economics, and entrepreneurship - and are from a wide range of professional and academic backgrounds. You will only ever get out what you put in, but I've always found the staff are ready to help everyone reach their potential, whether that is helping someone struggling to achieve a pass, or pushing someone to earn the distinction they deserve. The business school itself has recently been rebuilt, there's a large business section in the library, and the facilities have what you need. Does it meet everyone's definition of good? Probably not. Does it meet most people's? Probably.
Hi unicorn-love

Great to hear that you have applied for the business and management programme at Oxford Brookes!
For more information on the course have a look here: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/business/undergraduate
Would recommend coming to campus to visit and talk to lecturers if you haven't already because that is where you can really get a feel for the campus and find out lots more information about the course at Oxford Brookes. Our next open day is on the 29th of June so if you haven't already been to Oxford Brookes then definitely book your place!

Hope this helps
Amy
Original post by unicorn-love
I have applied for business and management undergraduate program. I want to know if this university is good for business courses
International student coming from Myanmar here. Already accepted the offer for electronic engineering top-up. Currently busy preparing all sorts of stuff for visa.

One question tho - is UKVI version of IELTS required? I originally gave the uni regular academic IELTS and so far, I have no problems with it but I'm a little bit worried so...
Original post by unicorn-love

Oxford brookes' business and management course is ranked within top 100 in the world in qs world ranking so I'd say its a very good uni for that subject.
Hi Thar Linn Htet,

Congrats on accepting your offer for Oxford Brookes, we look forward to welcoming you!

In terms of your question, it's best if you email it to student central at [email protected] so that they can get back to you with accurate information.

Hope this helps,
Amy
Original post by Thar Linn Htet
International student coming from Myanmar here. Already accepted the offer for electronic engineering top-up. Currently busy preparing all sorts of stuff for visa.

One question tho - is UKVI version of IELTS required? I originally gave the uni regular academic IELTS and so far, I have no problems with it but I'm a little bit worried so...
hello! just wondering when the CAS will be going out? thank you :smile:)
Reply 90
Just got my offer! Excited to see everyone soon :smile: I'm just waiting for the September 2019 CAS Request form
Can't wait to live in a civilized modern city and of course, one of the most beautiful cities in the world. I'm from Myanmar and here, everything is chaotic - u have live fish hopping around in markets, waiting to be chopped and sold lol and frequent power cuts which are seen as a common thing in summer and winter. We didn't even have internet a few years ago - I mean, of course we did have internet, but if we wanted to browse it, we had to pay a visit to cyber cafes, which were quite rare and the connection itself was poor; the highest download speed we had was like 5kb/s. The amount of people who had mobile phones to those who didn't was like 1:20 and not all mobile phones had internet connection. Besides, the sim cards used to cost more than the phone itself. Fun fact: the most popular application at the internet cafes was google talk.

The weather's also pretty intense, like, it's hot most of the time. The seasons go like this: summer, the rainy season and winter but practically, it's "big summer, wet summer and summer". I'm looking forward to escaping the heat and having a good night's sleep (I had many nights where I couldn't sleep because it was hot).

It really makes me feel happy that I'm going to live the rest of my life in a well-developed country and get a degree from a decent uni.
Reply 92
Hey guys, I'm going to be joining brookes to study Electronics Engineering 3yrd year. Just wondering if anyone knows how supportive the tutors are? Any addition support for maths?

My original firm option was Brighton. Anyone with experience like to give me some of their views and experience of Brighton.

Thanks
Original post by RemiX25
Hey guys, I'm going to be joining brookes to study Electronics Engineering 3yrd year. Just wondering if anyone knows how supportive the tutors are? Any addition support for maths?

My original firm option was Brighton. Anyone with experience like to give me some of their views and experience of Brighton.

Thanks

U mean the electronic engineering top up?
Hi,I’m studying health and social and law and I’m a massive fan of romantic comedy’s and love listening to music! X
Reply 95
Yesss, whyy?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RemiX25
Yesss, whyy?

I applied for that course too! I've already accepted the offer and now preparing stuff for visa. Where are u from?

I haven't heard that much about brighton, maybe because i'm an international student but brookes seems more reputed so I'm going to assume it is a better option. I may be wrong tho.
Reply 97
Original post by V1ct0r
I applied for that course too! I've already accepted the offer and now preparing stuff for visa. Where are u from?

I haven't heard that much about brighton, maybe because i'm an international student but brookes seems more reputed so I'm going to assume it is a better option. I may be wrong tho.

Omg that's awesome. BEng Electronic Engineering Top up to be exact. Studying sensors and data logging, advanced electronic systems etc.

What's your maths like? Apparently the project and the module 'Management, ethics, energy and sustainability' are worth 50% of the course. So if you get a first on that you'll be sorted.

Each module consist of a mini project which you do in groups. It would be awesome!!.

Also I am from the UK
Original post by RemiX25
Omg that's awesome. BEng Electronic Engineering Top up to be exact. Studying sensors and data logging, advanced electronic systems etc.

What's your maths like? Apparently the project and the module 'Management, ethics, energy and sustainability' are worth 50% of the course. So if you get a first on that you'll be sorted.

Each module consist of a mini project which you do in groups. It would be awesome!!.

Also I am from the UK

I was worried there would only be a few people in my course lol. I'm a little relieved now. I originally did a HND in EEE and was finding ways to get a decent BEng. Fortunately, brookes offers a one year top up course and also is a reputed university, particularly for mechanical engineering so it clearly is a very good choice.

I'd say maths is my 2nd strongest subject 😄; 1st is english 😄. In my country, there is a national exam which high school students have to sit before going to university (kind of GCSE level but GCSEs are more rigorous) and I managed to score 90% in maths. I also got a distinction in engineering maths and a merit in further engineering maths modules in HND.

I don't really have a lot of experience with labs, equipments and workshops tho. Kinda have to work real hard for that when I get to the UK to keep up with my classmates.

I'm actually more concerned about the job. I don't wanna go back to my home country and I need a job for that.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 99
Original post by V1ct0r
I was worried there would only be a few people in my course lol. I'm a little relieved now. I originally did a HND in EEE and was finding ways to get a decent BEng. Fortunately, brookes offers a one year top up course and also is a reputed university, particularly for mechanical engineering so it clearly is a very good choice.

I'd say maths is my 2nd strongest subject 😄; 1st is english 😄. In my country, there is a national exam which high school students have to sit before going to university (kind of GCSE level but GCSEs are more rigorous) and I managed to score 90% in maths. I also got a distinction in engineering maths and a merit in further engineering maths modules in HND.

I don't really have a lot of experience with labs, equipments and workshops tho. Kinda have to work real hard for that when I get to the UK to keep up with my classmates.

I'm actually more concerned about the job. I don't wanna go back to my home country and I need a job for that.

I did my hnd in eee too. I'm more concerned with maths than anything but apparently it's not a lot and not tough.

I was told we would have around 10 people in our class. Practical work would be done in groups so I wouldn't worry too much cause you use each others support. Like for e.g if we were in a group to build a circuit we would both guide each other.

Brighton do the same course but it's a BSc but accredited. I prefer the modules there though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending