Someonexx768
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Is it just having perfect scores or what? Or is it like lottery within a sea of amazing a level results
liverninthered
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's not about "perfect" results. The key factors in most department's decisions are admission tests and performance at interview
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Prerequisites: Good predicted grades (the minimum offer is AAA) and a genuine and serious interest in your chosen subject.

The following are helpful:
Good GCSE results, depending on how competitive the course it (the standard for GCSE for medicine at Oxford is crazily high)
Good performance in admissions tests
Good performance in the interview
Good personal statement
Good reference
you get the idea...

That said, it's quite rare for an application to be outstanding on every front. I remember the head of admissions at Churchill College in Cambridge saying that only about 2% of applications were that consistently good.
Last edited by Sinnoh; 2 years ago
kurro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Good GCSE results.

You will have to have the minimum levels required for the course you want to do. (e.g computer science - A*AA with at least A in maths/computer science at a level)

There is also your university application, you need a strong personal statement, experience in your field (but it is not necessary), you need to do many 'superparticular' activities related to your course (e.g attending Duke of Edinburgh, HE+, helping out with school open days. But your school will help you and tell you your options if you wanna apply there). You need to show you are genuinely interested in your subjects and uni course.

Then there is the interview. I don't know much about it as I didn't apply. But my friend who got an offer had a few maths questions asked, he was asked to talk about his book that he read and wrote about in his personal statement. (This shows you shouldn't write fake things as they can ask you in the interview.)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.98%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.62%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (119)
37.42%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (43)
13.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.46%

Watched Threads