165k Mileage, Good idea?

Watch
Joshyouare
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Getting a new van for some window cleaning i'm doing at the minute, going to view one tomorrow, vauxhall astra 1.7 diesel car derived van. It's got 165k mileage which I understand is very high but it's only 600 quid, any thoughts? Looks nice too.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Joshyouare)
Getting a new van for some window cleaning i'm doing at the minute, going to view one tomorrow, vauxhall astra 1.7 diesel car derived van. It's got 165k mileage which I understand is very high but it's only 600 quid, any thoughts? Looks nice too.
Too many variables.

Service history? Existing problems?

Might be wise to take a mechanic with you for a thorough inspection.
Joshyouare
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Too many variables.

Service history? Existing problems?

Might be wise to take a mechanic with you for a thorough inspection.
No existing problems, 11 months MOT not too sure about service history currently
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No existing problems, 11 months MOT not too sure about service history currently
Worth asking about it.

There are some pretty decent "How to check a used vehicle" type videos on YouTube. Worth watching a few before you go out tomorrow
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Those kinds of miles wouldn't bother me if the rest of the car was in good enough shape. I've owned several cars with that kind of mileage and more. You really need to research that specific car and if it has any mileage related weaknesses. Service history and general vehicle condition would be enough to convince me at that price, but only if you know the vehicles weak spots beforehand.
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
165k miles isn't that much especially if it's authentic and not what the clock says plus 2 times as much, for 90ies car it would be nothing, for a new one it should still be ok. if properly used and maintained.
However you should take a closer look to the engine, particularly to turbocharger and injectors because those are expensive to replace/regenerate.

If there is black smoke when you rapidly hit the throttle it means the turbocharger needs repair for it can't built boost quick enough. It's smoking black all the time it's the injection. Exhaust fuses analisis should give a better clue.
If there is blue smoke it either means worn out valve seals (cheaper option), oil control rings (expensive option) or oil leak inside turbocharger (expensive option)
You could go to some garage to check compression in cylinders to eliminate the option that piston rings are worn out.

You should also check the timing belt/chain.
If it's timing belt you need to replace it every particular interval according to the owner's manual.
If it's chain the manual might claim that you don't need to replace it, but it's better to do it after such mileage for Opel had some some problems with breaking chains.

Apart from that, usual stuff like checking if suspension bolts are worn out. They casually wear out but inspecting this in a garage that has machines which test suspension for loose connections will let you know how much you need to spend straightafter.
Last edited by PTMalewski; 2 years ago
chosenone93
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So many varables, all mileage isn't equal 165k local urban driving is a lot worse than 200k clocked from a lot of dual carriway/motor way driving due to the constant stop and starting and low speeds.
I'd say for a used car not much older than 10 years than 60-90k is the normal range but if you are a very casual driver i.e mainly short journeys (under 5 miles) or only drive once or twice a week than mileage hardly matters if everything else is in tact.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (29)
13.55%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.54%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.21%
I need help with my personal statement (90)
42.06%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
24.3%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
1.87%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.48%

Watched Threads