CdtHayleyP
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone,
I am currently an Air Cadet and have been for the previous year and am eligible to apply to become a corporal within the corps. I was just wondering if anybody has any advice on how to prepare and what particular questions are asked within the interview. Generally, I am just looking for some overall advice so that I am able to present myself at the best possible standard and give the best answers of my ability.

Many thanks,
CDT Hayley P
DrMikeHuntHertz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can start by posting stuff in the right forum section.
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 year ago
OP i moved your thread to the Armed Forces forum so hopefully someone can help you there. :yy:
SmutsReport
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey Hayley,

It's great you're motivated and have the desire for more responsibility that being promoted represents. I think firstly making sure you go on every course, camp and event on offer is key to being promoted as it shows you are motivated, are keen on representing your squadron and want to improve yourself. It will also mean you have more experience and in a better position to lead and be in charge of other cadets. Secondly being respected and liked by most if not all cadets and staff is paramount, if cadets don't respect you they won't listen to you. This is difficult to achieve but talking to everyone on Squadron, even just a a few sentences on break, knowing a little about everyone will help immensely. I'm not sure if they still do them but they did JNCO courses for potential corporals and new corporals to learn what is required of them, so speaking to a member of staff and stating that you want to be a corporal and if you could be put onto the next JNCO course would show your initiative. The course can be quite challenging for young and new cadets, on uniform standards and drill so make sure you are good at both.

As for answering the questions they may pose, mention about what you've achieved in cadets so far and how that can help you in a position of responsibility ie leadership exercises, courses etc., that you feel ready for that next step in your cadet career. Talk about your commitment to the sqn if you've done any competitions representing sqn such as sports or Wing Training Weekend. (oh and turn up every parade night - on time!) And lastly that you want to learn and improve, and you will represent your sqn proudly and dutifully.

It looks great on your CV and personal statement down the line if you had that responsibility and experience (especially the higher the rank you achieve), any questions ask away and good luck !
CADETSQUADRON
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hello i am a corporal at 2339 squadron. right so the first question is your name, age, date you joined length of service and classification. the next questions will be along the lines of why have you applied to be a JNCO. the next question will be what have you achieved during your time as a cadet. then your next question may be what do you hope to achieve. your next question will be on relevant commendations or rewards. the next question will be on relevant course and activities you have attended. then you'll be asked to describe an NCO in your own words. then you'll be asked about details of times when you may have shown leadership this is in your cadet career and in outside places such as: school, work or in a public place. then you'll be asked to provide details of when you have shown teamwork this can again, be inside or outside your cadet career this is the same for details of a time where you have shown effective communication, initiative and problem solving skills. you'll then be asked what the role of a JNCO is on the squadron. then you'll be asked if you are aware of the bullying and drug misuse policies. and lastly you'll be asked to provide any further information that could aid with your eventual promotion. i hope this information was of use to someone and i wish you the very best luck on your promotion.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by CADETSQUADRON)
hello i am a corporal at 2339 squadron. right so the first question is your name, age, date you joined length of service and classification. the next questions will be along the lines of why have you applied to be a JNCO. the next question will be what have you achieved during your time as a cadet. then your next question may be what do you hope to achieve. your next question will be on relevant commendations or rewards. the next question will be on relevant course and activities you have attended. then you'll be asked to describe an NCO in your own words. then you'll be asked about details of times when you may have shown leadership this is in your cadet career and in outside places such as: school, work or in a public place. then you'll be asked to provide details of when you have shown teamwork this can again, be inside or outside your cadet career this is the same for details of a time where you have shown effective communication, initiative and problem solving skills. you'll then be asked what the role of a JNCO is on the squadron. then you'll be asked if you are aware of the bullying and drug misuse policies. and lastly you'll be asked to provide any further information that could aid with your eventual promotion. i hope this information was of use to someone and i wish you the very best luck on your promotion.
Thanks, but this thread is a year old, so the OP will have had plenty of time to sort out their promotion.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by CADETSQUADRON)
That would imply there is a set standard for interviews.

There isn't.

Many sqns do not use interviews for their promotions, and there is nothing in the regulations about using them, so one CO will ask different questions to another.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (225)
67.57%
No (108)
32.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed