The Student Room Group

Reapplying for Oxford Medicine

Hi, I was recently rejected, post-interview to read medicine at Oxford. My heart has always been set to study here, with dilligent preparation, through my own enthusiasm, had endured significant super-curricular experiences to enhance my overall bio-medical knowledge; whilst simultaneously raising donations and volunteering for the local community. Understandably, medicine is intensely competitive, having said this however, I feel that Oxford Medical School is the only medical school I will ever feel happy being at; the environment, atmosphere, opportunities, though more importantly, the teaching style (The traditionally scientific orientated degree)- It is a perfect university. Therefore, I have been evaluating the options.
1) Contact my universities, and potentially ask them to switch to deferred entry, take a gap year and reapply to Oxford.
2) Completely withdraw all medical offers, and take a gap year, reapplying to Oxford.
3) Appeal the decision, after receving feedback from the medical tutors who interviewed me.
4) Stick with an offer. (I won't be happy being at any other university).

GCSE: 999 7A*s
AS: A
A Level Predictions: A*A*A*A* (Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics)
Super Curricular: 4 week Nuffield Research Project, Essay competition, Biology Olympiad, Cambridge Chemistry Challenge, Published articles in Young Scientist Journal, RSC Analyst Chemistry Competition, Gold Crest Award, Co-authored a published Oxford University Press book + many more.

Volunteering: 1 year at hospital, 6 months educating younger inner children on ethics and moral values, National Citizen Service (Helping disabled adults), raised donations for 5 charities.

Would appealing be a shot?
I scored 4 interviews, at Oxford, Imperial, Birmingham and Sheffield.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Science99999
I scored 4 interviews, at Oxford, Imperial, Birmingham and Sheffield.

Wow well done!!!
What are your stats ?
Did you receive an offer from oxford
Original post by lightbulb22
Wow well done!!!
What are your stats ?
Did you receive an offer from oxford

UKCAT: 720
BMAT: 4A 6.4, 6.2 (Can't remember).
GCSEs: 999 7A*s
AS: A (93% AS mathematics)
A-Level predictions: A*A*A*A*

Super curricular: 4 week Nuffield Research Project, Biology Olympiad, Cambridge Chemistry Challenge, Essay competition, RSC Analyst chemistry competition, Young Scientist Journal, Gold Crest Award, co-authored a published book under Oxford University Press + many more.
Volunteering: 1 year at Hospital, 6 months educating inner city children the importance of moral values, National Citizen Service, raised donations for 5 charities, and freely tutored state students who were struggling with their GCSE exams.

Outcome for Oxford: Rejection (I am asking feedback, because I must have tanked the interview, although I felt went quite well)
Imperial Offer A*AA
I am waiting for decisions at Birmingham and Sheffield.

I might reapply to Oxford.

Super curricular: 4 week Nuffield Research Project, Biology Olympiad, Cambridge Chemistry Challenge, Essay competition, RSC Analyst chemistry competition, Young Scientist Journal, Gold Crest Award, co-authored a published book under Oxford University Press + many more.
Volunteering: 1 year at Hospital, 6 months educating inner city children the importance of moral values, National Citizen Service, raised donations for 5 charities, and freely tutored state students who were struggling with their GCSE exams.

Outcome for Oxford: Rejection (I am asking feedback, because I must have tanked the interview, although I felt went quite well)
Imperial Offer A*AA

You look like the perfect medicine candidate that always scared the sh*t out of me
You look like the perfect medicine candidate that always scared the sh*t out of me

Don't worry, it mainly depends on the interview. If all my achievements cannot score an offer from Oxford, then it clearly defines the importance of performing well during an interview.

Imperial Offer A*AA

But why would you want to reapply after getting an imperial offer? That’s such an amazing uni for medicine
Original post by Khushi.S
But why would you want to reapply after getting an imperial offer? That’s such an amazing uni for medicine

I've always wanted to go to Oxford, and without sounding arrogant, reapplying might lead to an offer this time.

Imperial Offer A*AA

If you got other offers would you still reapply to oxford next year?
I know I wouldn't be happy at Sheffield or Birmingham, my heart was set on Oxford. I would most certainly attempt to reapply, after seeking feedback from the tutors and guidance from my teachers.
I know I wouldn't be happy at Sheffield or Birmingham, my heart was set on Oxford. I would most certainly attempt to reapply, after seeking feedback from the tutors and guidance from my teachers.

in the end you'll end up a doctor like everyone else and if you're looking for a more traditional, scientific course then imperial offers that anyway. i don't think you should give up the offer you have just to try for oxford again

It wouldn't be any less competitive next year. It's a huge gamble to turn down an offer this year and I think most people here will agree. I'll be amazed if your teachers/tutors are any different. You don't need to make any decisions yet as you know and you may feel differently in a couple of months even though it is still your dream.
I've always wanted to go to Oxford, and without sounding arrogant, reapplying might lead to an offer this time.

Fair enough. I personally wouldn’t turn down an offer for Oxford but like you said, it’s a personal preference and if you really (I mean REALLY) want to go there then it’s up to you really. You’ve also got to think, maybe your BMAT and UKCAT scores could be lower (although I’m sure they won’t be since you’ve already had the experience) and it could lead to a slightly weaker profile.. but if you think it’s worth the gamble then no one can stop you from reapplying

Wow, you must really like Oxford then! Why do you think you wouldnt be happy if you dont mind me asking? Imperial is fantastic uni. It sounds like you would get into Oxford if you reapplied but its always a risk.
Original post by Khushi.S
Fair enough. I personally wouldn’t turn down an offer for Oxford but like you said, it’s a personal preference and if you really (I mean REALLY) want to go there then it’s up to you really. You’ve also got to think, maybe your BMAT and UKCAT scores could be lower (although I’m sure they won’t be since you’ve already had the experience) and it could lead to a slightly weaker profile.. but if you think it’s worth the gamble then no one can stop you from reapplying

The problem is, really really wanting to go there doesn't equate to actually going there.

On paper Science9999 you do look a fairly strong candidate but that obviously didn't come across in the interview - or maybe it came across too strongly (as arrogant possibly), or maybe the extra curricular experience, whilst vast, actually a lot of it others have too (and isn't directly relevant in terms of commitment to care), olympiads and such like. If you get decent feedback then of course you can look to change it for next time, with no guarantees, but I suspect the feedback may be too neutral to be of use (something along the lines of: whilst you were strong, there were other candidates who were stronger).

If your heart is set on Oxford then of course you should reapply but what will you do if you are in the same situation next year?
Choose 1 the others are way too risk. Also if it’s the uni you want which sounds like it and not the course maybe apply for something less competitive for oxford
Choose 1 the others are way too risk. Also if it’s the uni you want which sounds like it and not the course maybe apply for something less competitive for oxford

Scoring an interview for medicine at Oxford increased my chances to 40%, one of the highest after interview. Problematically, having said this, only 25% of applications were interviewd. Placing this into perspective, that means that only 425 out of 1792 applications received interviews. There were many able individuals. I was privelleged to be shortlisted for an interview!

Thus, reapplying with 4A*s, and a strong BMAT is encouraged to secure this again.
Scoring an interview for medicine at Oxford increased my chances to 40%, one of the highest after interview. Problematically, having said this, only 25% of applications were interviewd. Placing this into perspective, that means that only 425 out of 1792 applications received interviews. There were many able individuals. I was privelleged to be shortlisted for an interview!

Thus, reapplying with 4A*s, and a strong BMAT is encouraged to secure this again.

What if you don’t get it next year ? Are you going to reapply again ?
What if you don’t get it next year ? Are you going to reapply again ?

No. I feel that by reapplying for 2020 entry, I would most likely just select BMAT universities; I scored 720 on my UKCAT, however I feel that this was too much pressure to do again.
No. I feel that by reapplying for 2020 entry, I would most likely just select BMAT universities; I scored 720 on my UKCAT, however I feel that this was too much pressure to do again.

That doesn't quite answer the question - There is not an insignificant chance you are rejected by all 4 universities on your next application. What would then be your back-up plan to medicine? I don't really understand how you could possibly know that Oxford is the only university you would be happy at, either. The atmosphere, opportunities and teaching style can be replicated elsewhere. Of course it's a lovely place, but so are many others.

You could attempt to defer for one year at another university, although I'm not that familiar with applying to another medical school once you already have a secured place at one medical school (It's certainly not allowed to start at one, and then swap to another).
You won't get anywhere "appealing" for a place at Oxford this year.

I suspect along with a previous poster that the feedback given will be rather vague.
(edited 5 years ago)
It is totally your decision at the end of the day... if you feel that you can repeat the performance from this year again next year and get the 6s again then I don't see why you can't get an interview and potentially an offer again. Does Oxford allow reapplication after the interview stage?

Latest