Reapplying for Oxford Medicine Watch

This discussion is closed.
BonsaiColony
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Damn I would of thought you got in after seeing you in the bmat thread. You are pretty much ideal by their standard but yh I agree that maybe the interview you werent as strong as the other candidates. Idk sometimes I feel like oxford is romanticized too much. Imperial is really good tho. I wouldn’t reapply, could you not go into oxbridge later in life.like teach there? Or. Do you want the undergrad experience. If you feel as though you would not be able to have the motivation for the medical degree at other uni then I suggest you reapply.
BonsaiColony
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Science99999)
Perhaps, considering that the medical experience will be similar at both Oxford and Imperial, with the end goal being the same, I think sticking with Imperial may be a wise choice. Although, recently I was invited to a new idea, apply to Cambridge (Apparently, they focus more on the super-curriculars, and this may play a significant advantage when receiving an offer- although, it doesn't feel right to apply to Cambridge since it isn't Oxford).

I an encouraged to go to Imperial, the London Life is dynamically thrilling; I enjoyed spending time around Kensington and viewing the inspiring atmosphere of success. Perhaps, applying for a PhD at Oxford, once I complete my degree. Maybe, either becoming a doctor at Oxford University Hospitals Trust or potentially an educator!
Keep working hard 😀
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You look like a very strong candidate. But then Oxford is very competitive for medicine.

To be honest, going to Oxford really doesn't make much difference for a medical career. Actually getting stuff like prizes/distinctions within medical school gives you more points for future medical job applications, and those things are almost certainly harder to achieve at Oxford, given the intelligence of the cohort there.

It is obviously up to yourself, and it is probably a difficult decision.
MinaBee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What would you do if you didn't get in next year?
Khushi.S
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by rasputshealthbar)
In regards to aesthetics? I find ldn unis to have similar monotone looks, in all honesty. ICL, UCL, KCL, and QMUL looked....uninspiring imho. Love London tho, dont get me wrong. I just prefer the idyllic sprawling campuses of Cambridge (but then again, I'm probably biased since I live here).
Oh no, in aesthetics, nothing beats Oxridge I get what you mean, Kings especially has a very Oxbridge vibe as they also have courtyards and old buildings. Cambridge is really nice, I loved St John's and Kings College, they were huge but Christ Church at Oxford was honestly so amazing too. I mean I preferred Kings and Birmingham in terms of atmosphere, they just seemed a lot more lively for some reason
amaraub
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
You look like a very strong candidate. But then Oxford is very competitive for medicine.

To be honest, going to Oxford really doesn't make much difference for a medical career. Actually getting stuff like prizes/distinctions within medical school gives you more points for future medical job applications, and those things are almost certainly harder to achieve at Oxford, given the intelligence of the cohort there.

It is obviously up to yourself, and it is probably a difficult decision.
OP isnt bothered about the difference it makes to their degree, they just really want to study at Oxford.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
BonsaiColony
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by amaraub)
OP isnt bothered about the difference it makes to their degree, they just really want to study at Oxford.
Yh OP should just get interview feedback
Maya20
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey,
Sorry for hearing about your Oxford decision, you seemed quite set to want to go to Oxford!
On the other hand, congrats on the Imperial offer!
That being said, how can you know for SURE SURE that Oxford is the place for you? Given, all of us have our top uni that we would want to go too, but we really can't be sure if its a good choice until we actually enrol and study there.
For example, I have a family friend who was positive Manchester was the 'one' for him and he firmed it for med. Come to the first year, and he hated the course structure and everything!
Try to be open minded and weigh out the pros and cons. You'll be taking a huge risk next year with no guarantee of a pay off and I am worried that you'll regret being set on a particular uni next year if you don't get any offers.
taytayshaki
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I am not going to tell you the merits of each university you have applied for.
Seems to me your heart is set on Oxford as mine was when I applied. My actual UKCAT score was same as yours. All the trial BMAT papers I did online, I achieved high 6-7 scores. However, my BMAT paper on the day did not go well. I knew I could have done better. I felt I had let myself down. I have gained interviews at my other 3 choices. Would I try for Oxford again...no. I would be happy to get into any of the others (one being Imperial, the interview I have left to do) but that is my decision.
If money is not an issue and you can take a gap year I personally think you should do it.
You are academically sound, your interview let you down....that is something you know you can improve upon. If retaking your BMAT will not be too stressful, then that’s fine.
You know you will always wonder what if and have regrets if you don’t.
Your head can be convinced that Imperial is for you and you know there is a chance that you will probably be just as happy there.
I think you should take some time....if you still feel the same about Oxford when decisions have to be made....your decision will have been made for you.
Get as much feedback from Oxford as you can. Meanwhile, a bit later go visit Imperial, talk to students there...and who knows you may fall in love with it and can then accept the offer.
I hope this was helpful. I have full confidence that whether you take up an offer for 2019 entry or for 2020 you will get offers and you will be content with the choice you make.
Maz123445
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by taytayshaki)
I am not going to tell you the merits of each university you have applied for.
Seems to me your heart is set on Oxford as mine was when I applied. My actual UKCAT score was same as yours. All the trial BMAT papers I did online, I achieved high 6-7 scores. However, my BMAT paper on the day did not go well. I knew I could have done better. I felt I had let myself down. I have gained interviews at my other 3 choices. Would I try for Oxford again...no. I would be happy to get into any of the others (one being Imperial, the interview I have left to do) but that is my decision.
If money is not an issue and you can take a gap year I personally think you should do it.
You are academically sound, your interview let you down....that is something you know you can improve upon. If retaking your BMAT will not be too stressful, then that’s fine.
You know you will always wonder what if and have regrets if you don’t.
Your head can be convinced that Imperial is for you and you know there is a chance that you will probably be just as happy there.
I think you should take some time....if you still feel the same about Oxford when decisions have to be made....your decision will have been made for you.
Get as much feedback from Oxford as you can. Meanwhile, a bit later go visit Imperial, talk to students there...and who knows you may fall in love with it and can then accept the offer.
I hope this was helpful. I have full confidence that whether you take up an offer for 2019 entry or for 2020 you will get offers and you will be content with the choice you make.
Agree with this, we know you from the Imperial and Bmat threads so maybe we are aware that your academics are amazing unlike the others, that being said gl with whatever you do next
Simbasoul
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Maz123445)
Agree with this, we know you from the Imperial and Bmat threads so maybe we are aware that your academics are amazing unlike the others, that being said gl with whatever you do next
No - I am aware of Science999’s academics - but lots of people have similar - my son has 11A* (3 x 9s) plus A in Additional Maths, a 733 UKCAT, 3 A* prediction and as much work experience/voluntary work/Head Boy etc etc - he has done well but not exceptionally, in my opinion. In Medicine everyone has high stats, and lots to offer - in Oxford everyone has high stats and lots to offer - but how you cope with the interviews is key for both. Unless anything fundamental is going to change in the next year you have to ask yourself is Medicine more important or Oxford - if the answer is not the former, then perhaps you should not be studying Medicine.
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
nexttime will be able to tell you if detailed feedback is even recorded.

When I have interviewed (and I did it at several different places) there was barely time to record the scores, let alone write detailed notes about individual candidates.
Depends what you mean by 'detailed' but they do keep the interview notes. Also each interviewer would only have interviewed about 20 candidates so you'll probably at least partially remember them.

Having said that, its absolutely not normal practice to release interview notes or for individual interviewers to be contacted about giving detailed feedback. There is a tradition of Oxford offering interview feedback to everyone rejected but in the interest of avoiding conflict its always along the lines of 'competition was very strong this year and despite your good interview there simply wasn't enough places to take you'.

This user already knows that I feel reapplication to be fruitless, and that an appeal will only be successful in the case of an administrative error.
Sinnoh
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by amaraub)
Then they may as well apply for materials science
SanityGone
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I think it could be easy to reduce the process of applying for medical school to a box ticking exercise - great academics - tick, extra curricular a - tick, supra curriculars - tick. The interviewers know that everyone who has reached the interview stage has ticked those boxes, they wouldn’t be there otherwise. The job of the interviewers is to look at the person, their personality, motivation, suitability, preparation - for both the profession, and for the course/ethos at their particular university. They know from experience the kind of person that thrives in their environment, and the decision is made by a panel, not one individual. I don’t know why you didn’t get the offer, but they will not have made any of the selection decisions lightly, you are not more deserving than the other applicants who were accepted or rejected, they will also have shared your same dream and worked just as hard.

I guess it’s whether you think that another shot at it would make a difference in how they might perceive you and your suitability next year.
Davo123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’m in a VERY similar position: also got rejected post-interview with stats: 11A* GCSE, 4A* predicted, 8 6.8 4A BMAT

Although I’m also keen to find my next goal and start working towards it, I don’t think I can do that fully without seeing the feedback for my interviews (which I actually felt went pretty well).
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Davo123)
I’m in a VERY similar position: also got rejected post-interview with stats: 11A* GCSE, 4A* predicted, 8 6.8 4A BMAT

Although I’m also keen to find my next goal and start working towards it, I don’t think I can do that fully without seeing the feedback for my interviews (which I actually felt went pretty well).
Wow, that is a seriously good application.
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
There was a guy at my interview who was boasting about his straight A*s and BMAT of [7.5ish, 9.0, 4Aish] - didn't get in. Just having good stats doesn't get you in! (especially if you're a **** like this guy was!)
Pharmacology
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Assuming you're a school leaver with limited life experience outside of academic achievement, I'd imagine Oxford has been pushed to you by teachers and family as a be all/end all - when I was in sixth form, getting that Oxford medicine rejection cut me up for quite a while and really made me doubt my self-worth.

I'm currently applying to GEM/UG courses having completed an MSci in pharmacology at UCL. When I started this degree, I thought I'd hate studying not only at UCL as an "Oxford reject", but because I wasn't fulfilling my (at the time, naive) dreams of being a medic. This feeling pervaded, particularly amongst the biomeds, many of whom were in a similar situation to myself.

However, my years at UCL presented me with the most solid academic and personal experiences of my life. I'm a more rounded person because of it, and frankly I don't think the echo chamber of academic and social privilege that is Oxford would *really* have suited me at all.

In a nutshell, imo you'd be making a huge mistake to reject the offers you have for a low % chance of success second time round. Imperial is an utterly fantastic university for medicine, and has links to some of the best teaching hospitals in the world. You will reap huge benefits from carrying out your clinical years in London, which has the most diverse patient population not only in the UK, but arguably in the world.

The GMC regulates all medical degrees in the UK, and they are largely of a similar standard. Any applicant is lucky to get a single offer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your determination to get into Oxford gives me the sense that you are going into medicine for the prestige. If this is the case, I'm afraid that life as a modern healthcare professional won't satisfy you - and nobody wants to be cared for by an arrogant doctor. Tbh, I think you need to have some perspective.
Last edited by Pharmacology; 2 months ago
username4407912
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by laurap1995)
Assuming you're a school leaver with limited life experience outside of academic achievement, I'd imagine Oxford has been pushed to you by teachers and family as a be all/end all - when I was in sixth form, getting that Oxford medicine rejection cut me up for quite a while and really made me doubt my self-worth.

I'm currently applying to GEM/UG courses having completed an MSci in pharmacology at UCL. When I started this degree, I thought I'd hate studying not only at UCL as an "Oxford reject", but because I wasn't fulfilling my (at the time, naive) dreams of being a medic. This feeling pervaded, particularly amongst the biomeds, many of whom were in a similar situation to myself.

However, my years at UCL presented me with the most solid academic and personal experiences of my life. I'm a more rounded person because of it, and frankly I don't think the echo chamber of academic and social privilege that is Oxford would *really* have suited me at all.

In a nutshell, imo you'd be making a huge mistake to reject the offers you have for a low % chance of success second time round. Imperial is an utterly fantastic university for medicine, and has links to some of the best teaching hospitals in the world. You will reap huge benefits from carrying out your clinical years in London, which has the most diverse patient population not only in the UK, but arguably in the world.

The GMC regulates all medical degrees in the UK, and they are largely of a similar standard. Any applicant is lucky to get a single offer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your determination to get into Oxford gives me the sense that you are going into medicine for the prestige. If this is the case, I'm afraid that life as a modern healthcare professional won't satisfy you - and nobody wants to be cared for by an arrogant doctor. Tbh, I think you need to have some perspective.
end of thread basically. you’d be a fool to reject any medicine offers if you’re sure you want to become a doctor
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by nexttime)
There was a guy at my interview who was boasting about his straight A*s and BMAT of [7.5ish, 9.0, 4Aish] - didn't get in. Just having good stats doesn't get you in! (especially if you're a **** like this guy was!)
Meh I'd tend to trust the years of stats and exam results over some dubious subjective assessment of "teachability" in an interview. Though I can see the reasoning behind not accepting someone who seemed to have a personality incompatible with being a good doctor.

I realise many people will disagree with me though.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (124)
17.92%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.4%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (119)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (101)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (67)
9.68%
How can I be the best version of myself? (209)
30.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed