Reapplying for Oxford Medicine Watch

This discussion is closed.
2s112709
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Just my two cents on this from a successful cam reapplicant, only ever reapply if you can definitively say why you didn’t get in the first time. If you can’t see what was wrong with the first application, theres little chance much will change the next time around
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
InspectorCool
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Science99999)
Hi, I was recently rejected, post-interview to read medicine at Oxford. My heart has always been set to study here, with dilligent preparation, through my own enthusiasm, had endured significant super-curricular experiences to enhance my overall bio-medical knowledge; whilst simultaneously raising donations and volunteering for the local community. Understandably, medicine is intensely competitive, having said this however, I feel that Oxford Medical School is the only medical school I will ever feel happy being at; the environment, atmosphere, opportunities, though more importantly, the teaching style (The traditionally scientific orientated degree)- It is a perfect university. Therefore, I have been evaluating the options.
1) Contact my universities, and potentially ask them to switch to deferred entry, take a gap year and reapply to Oxford.
2) Completely withdraw all medical offers, and take a gap year, reapplying to Oxford.
3) Appeal the decision, after receving feedback from the medical tutors who interviewed me.
4) Stick with an offer. (I won't be happy being at any other university).

GCSE: 999 7A*s
AS: A
A Level Predictions: A*A*A*A* (Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics)
Super Curricular: 4 week Nuffield Research Project, Essay competition, Biology Olympiad, Cambridge Chemistry Challenge, Published articles in Young Scientist Journal, RSC Analyst Chemistry Competition, Gold Crest Award, Co-authored a published Oxford University Press book + many more.

Volunteering: 1 year at hospital, 6 months educating younger inner children on ethics and moral values, National Citizen Service (Helping disabled adults), raised donations for 5 charities.

Would appealing be a shot?
I scored 4 interviews, at Oxford, Imperial, Birmingham and Sheffield.
I am EXACTLY in the same position as you, except I am a Cambridge medicine pooled reject, I've been very much set on Cambridge from a young age. The opportunities for research, teaching style and uni feel I couldn't find anywhere else. I have a similar profile, but i, unfortunately, messed up on my bmat. I'm torn on reapplying, as I have my imperial interview coming up, and if i get an offer from there I'm taking a massive risk of rejecting it, just to have another shot at the bmat. DM me so we can chat more in detail.
username2337287
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by InspectorCool)
I am EXACTLY in the same position as you, except I am a Cambridge medicine pooled reject, I've been very much set on Cambridge from a young age. The opportunities for research, teaching style and uni feel I couldn't find anywhere else. I have a similar profile, but i, unfortunately, messed up on my bmat. I'm torn on reapplying, as I have my imperial interview coming up, and if i get an offer from there I'm taking a massive risk of rejecting it, just to have another shot at the bmat. DM me so we can chat more in detail.
After reading an article, Brampton Manor High School scored 41 offers from Oxbridge; clearly there is bias towards London schools, but more importantly this belief that "immigrants at a disadvantage who don't speak English fluently are better suited"; we should select candidates based on their ability. Get those 4A*s, and show those "Disadvantaged card kids" wrong.
Simbasoul
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
After reading an article, Brampton Manor High School scored 41 offers from Oxbridge; clearly there is bias towards London schools, but more importantly this belief that "immigrants at a disadvantage who don't speak English fluently are better suited"; we should select candidates based on their ability. So I wouldn't be gutted, but it is a shame that someone who is academically inept and subpar to their competitive peers get in. Get those 4A*s, and show those "Disadvantaged card kids" wrong.
Academically inept and subpar? Get over yourself!! Your attitude is sneery, superior and stinks. Frankly Oxford Uni has gone up in my estimation as they appear to have seen that too...
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
After reading an article, Brampton Manor High School scored 41 offers from Oxbridge; clearly there is bias towards London schools, but more importantly this belief that "immigrants at a disadvantage who don't speak English fluently are better suited"; we should select candidates based on their ability. So I wouldn't be gutted, but it is a shame that someone who is academically inept and subpar to their competitive peers get in. Get those 4A*s, and show those "Disadvantaged card kids" wrong.
Plenty of posh private schools get large numbers into Oxbridge.

I do feel someone with your profile is unlucky not to get an offer, but I'm not sure your claims in that post are fair (if I have understood it correctly).
SanityGone
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
..... but it is a shame that someone who is academically inept and subpar to their competitive peers get in .....
That’s a tad on the sour side - do you have evidence that those pupils are inept and subpar? You are not presenting yourself in a good light.
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Just by looking at your grades and experience etc...you really are hell bent on going to Oxford, no matter what! Why do you love Oxford so much? Is it because of the name or what? I would just take the Imperial offer (which is as prestigious as an Oxford one tbh) and move on with life. What if you get rejected again? Chances are quite high with Oxbridge

Ah Brampton Manor, I know that school quite well. apparently their goal is to...let's say get as many non-white people to Oxbridge as possible (Not being racist in anyway). A lot of students there do come from disadvantaged backgrounds and I really struggle to know how can they achieve such amazing results since I am part of the disadvantaged group as well. The school is very selective and tends to kick people out for not reaching the top grades, with Cs narrowly escaping the boot. Not to mention, the school is VERY elitist. Like if you went to a Russel Group uni, you would be with the Sixth Formers, otherwise you will be in charge of the year 7s and them lot. Not even joking
Last edited by The RAR; 2 months ago
InspectorCool
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Well i slightly disagree about that, and I understand the BMHS debate - after all, they're a school known for high-quality Oxbridge candidates so I can't discriminate on bases of disadvantage backgrounds. At the end of the day I honestly don't think Oxbridge cares about where you're from, I've spoken to dozens of students studying at both unis and they said the same. That's why theres a high number of public school (private school, colloquially) students at the unis. I understand your pain, there were people with lower bmat scores than me that got in, because they might have chosen smaller/easier colleges or did better in interview - and I was gutted adn thought the same as you but I think you have to just understand that you were unlucky, theres an immense amount of luck involved. So keep your head up and stick to YOUR goals, anyways I might see you at Imperial Offer Holders Day if my interview goes swimmingly. Good luck!
Last edited by InspectorCool; 2 months ago
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Maz123445)
I would recommend you defer your entry for Imperial and apply again to Oxford, I recognise you from the imperial thread. Imperial is amazing and is my first choice however, medicine is a long 5-6 year course and being somewhere you don’t want to be can be depressing and effect your learning and performance I’m in the same position with my 3rd and 4th choice I just can’t see myself going there, living there or adapting. Nonetheless I wish you the best of luck
I'm late to this thread so this might have already been picked up by someone else but you can't apply via UCAS whilst holding a deferred place. It's not an option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
InspectorCool
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by LeslieNOPE)
'Options' 1 & 3 are not options.

You cannot hold onto an offer and re-enter the UCAS process the following year. You would have to turn down any offers you receive this year and enter the next application cycle with no guarantee of an Oxford offer, or gaining admission again from any of the other universities you have received offers from this year. While getting some feedback from the tutors will undoubtedly be useful, you cannot 'appeal' the outcome. If you have been rejected this year, it's a rejection.

*PERSONALLY* I think even contemplating the options 1-3 that you've laid out is unwise. There are plenty of very suitable candidates who get turned away from Medical schools each year. If you are lucky enough to receive an offer, I think you should take it. A medical degree is a medical degree, regardless of whether it comes from Oxford or Birmingham and I think you are romanticising the Oxford experience.

I would concede that you may have a point if you were applying for a subject where the teaching and content actually varies from place to place (Social Sciences, Humanities etc.). Additionally, you need to have a very robust plan for how you want to spend your gap year and going through an application cycle is incredibly stressful- and I say this as an Oxford reapplicant who was successful the second time round!

If you honestly have your heart set on reapplying, I don't think that there is anything that anyone can say on this forum that will dissuade you. I think you also know that the best responses will likely make the same points that I have done, however, this is a decision that ultimately you need to make and not live to regret afterwards.

Best of luck whichever way you decide to go.
Hi Leslie, you seem very experienced through the Oxbridge reapplication system, would you take a gap year and reapply again to oxford if you had the choice?
2s112709
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Oxbridge admissions aren’t based on grades. If they were, you would have got in. The interviewers job is to find students of extraordinary ability, and an AAA student thats come from an area with little to no oxbridge aspirations could very well be more able than a A*A*A*A*A* etc student thats been groomed for the application process their entire life. Tl;dr don’t blame your Oxford rejection on everyone else.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
InspectorCool
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by 2s112709)
Oxbridge admissions aren’t based on grades. If they were, you would have got in. The interviewers job is to find students of extraordinary ability, and an AAA student thats come from an area with little to no oxbridge aspirations could very well be more able than a A*A*A*A*A* etc student thats been groomed for the application process their entire life. Tl;dr don’t blame your Oxford rejection on everyone else.
Exactly! Just gotta move on and focus on yourself. I didn't get in, but i have a massive amount of respect for people that did, they work day and night tirelessly and deserve it infinitely more than me (who just binge watches Netlfic on the weekends hahaha).
Last edited by InspectorCool; 2 months ago
medds
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by rasputshealthbar)
why the obsession with o*****? I mean, I get Cambridge--but o*****?
Oddly Nottingham would disagree with you.

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/medicin...ague-table.pdf
username2337287
Rep:
?
(Original post by InspectorCool)
Exactly! Just gotta move on and focus on yourself. I didn't get in, but i have a massive amount of respect for people that did, they work day and night tirelessly and deserve it infinitely more than me (who just binge watches Netlfic on the weekends hahaha).
(Original post by 2s112709)
Ironic, when Brampton High School are focussed on getting into Oxbridge; they are selective and make their students prepare for the interviews, they are as worse as public schools; having listenened to their radio interviews, and seen their academic profiles, I find it hard how students will less academic calibre, and academic potential (They sound like ordinary students, whom I attended state secondary school with)- They have A's and maybe one or two A*s at GCSEs, although they are exploiting the "disadvantage card", pretending to be in this situation yet go to a selective school with a focus on Oxbridge-
username2337287
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
Plenty of posh private schools get large numbers into Oxbridge.

I do feel someone with your profile is unlucky not to get an offer, but I'm not sure your claims in that post are fair (if I have understood it correctly).
It is a farce, Brampton High School is selective and only focus on Oxbridge, they have fake students who are prepped from interview, yet exploit the disadvantage card, pretending to have no clue about Oxbridge. I came from a State Secondary School which was rated inadequate and had a 50% pass rate; my mother is from India, and my father athough born here, never went to University. Without arrogantly saying, I dilligently worked hard to secure a 100% Scholarship at a really successful public school, only one is awarded a year; yet this is competitive considering the national/global competition. Why am I not entitled to be considered "Disadvantaged", since my School doesn't obsess over Oxbridge like Brampton High. State schools like this should CLOSE down.
2s112709
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Why am I not entitled to be considered "Disadvantaged", since my School doesn't obsess over Oxbridge like Brampton High. State schools like this should CLOSE down.
The more important question is, why obsess over this? If you know why you were rejected this year, work on that area of your application and reapply next time. If, as it sounds, you think your application was as good as it could be, then clearly oxbridge just wasn't for you. I went to a POS state comp, and while I understand how it feels to be rejected (I was myself last year), I don't need you cheapening other peoples achievements to help your ego
Simbasoul
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It is a farce, Brampton High School is selective and only focus on Oxbridge, they have fake students who are prepped from interview, yet exploit the disadvantage card, pretending to have no clue about Oxbridge. I came from a State Secondary School which was rated inadequate and had a 50% pass rate; my mother is from India, and my father athough born here, never went to University. Without arrogantly saying, I dilligently worked hard to secure a 100% Scholarship at a really successful public school, only one is awarded a year; yet this is competitive considering the national/global competition. Why am I not entitled to be considered "Disadvantaged", since my School doesn't obsess over Oxbridge like Brampton High. State schools like this should CLOSE down.
Science99999 - please stop now - give it up - you are coming across like a spoiled brat, stamping their feet because they didn't get their own way - dissing other people's achievements to try and make yourself feel better is sad - ironically, if you hadn't have moved to a private school, perhaps contextually you might have got a few extra points, but, I'm guessing you moved because you felt the private school offered you better opportunities, better networking, better facilities etc, so you got the advantage from that. Advantages from school on their own do not get a child into Oxbridge; grades on their own don't get a child into Oxbridge; personality on it's own doesn't get a child into Oxbridge - but not having one of these might stop you from getting in....and obviously did...sadly, I am not convinced it is something you can work on, as your most recent posts have displayed.

Other rejects have taken it on the chin a bit more, with far more dignity - you could learn a thing or two from them, because, arrogance and superiority are characteristcs of medics of yesteryear.....
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
From what you've described, perhaps you would have been considered as being from a disadvantaged background?

Honestly, I feel sympathy towards you for not getting in. Your profile is excellent. But there are a lot of excellent candidates, and also, the process is never going to be completely fair, unfortunately. Especially when there are many different colleges to introduce potential lack of uniformity into the admissions process.
SanityGone
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I know nothing about Brampton and chose not to apply to Oxford/Cambridge although I was encouraged to do so. I would think, though, that if former Brampton students showed themselves to be subpar by not being able to keep up with the pace or level at Oxford once they had been admitted, that this would be reflected in the selection of their students in future years? Like the schools that give unachievably inflated predicted grades are not taken seriously
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, I was recently rejected, post-interview to read medicine at Oxford. My heart has always been set to study here, with dilligent preparation, through my own enthusiasm, had endured significant super-curricular experiences to enhance my overall bio-medical knowledge; whilst simultaneously raising donations and volunteering for the local community. Understandably, medicine is intensely competitive, having said this however, I feel that Oxford Medical School is the only medical school I will ever feel happy being at; the environment, atmosphere, opportunities, though more importantly, the teaching style (The traditionally scientific orientated degree)- It is a perfect university. Therefore, I have been evaluating the options.
1) Contact my universities, and potentially ask them to switch to deferred entry, take a gap year and reapply to Oxford.
2) Completely withdraw all medical offers, and take a gap year, reapplying to Oxford.
3) Appeal the decision, after receving feedback from the medical tutors who interviewed me.
4) Stick with an offer. (I won't be happy being at any other university).

GCSE: 999 7A*s
AS: A
A Level Predictions: A*A*A*A* (Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics)
Super Curricular: 4 week Nuffield Research Project, Essay competition, Biology Olympiad, Cambridge Chemistry Challenge, Published articles in Young Scientist Journal, RSC Analyst Chemistry Competition, Gold Crest Award, Co-authored a published Oxford University Press book + many more.

Volunteering: 1 year at hospital, 6 months educating younger inner children on ethics and moral values, National Citizen Service (Helping disabled adults), raised donations for 5 charities.

Would appealing be a shot?
I scored 4 interviews, at Oxford, Imperial, Birmingham and Sheffield.
Well; if even you can't get in with those amazing credentials what hope have the rest of us got?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

How old were you when you first saw porn?

I've never seen it (133)
20.65%
Before I was 12 (219)
34.01%
13 (99)
15.37%
14 (77)
11.96%
15 (41)
6.37%
16 (19)
2.95%
17 (9)
1.4%
18 (6)
0.93%
Between the ages of 19 - 24 (11)
1.71%
Over 25 (2)
0.31%
12 (28)
4.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise