What’s the legality of driving in a carpark...

Watch
james.clk
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
without insurance and full license?
stimtothesky
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It’s not legal, but most people do it. You should really be insured and use L plates.
Last edited by stimtothesky; 2 years ago
james.clk
Rep:
?
(Original post by stimtothesky)
It’s not legal, but most people do it. You should really be insured and use L plates.
So I could be prosecuted?
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by james.clk)
So I could be prosecuted?
Definitely. A car park with public access is classed as a public road even if it is private land.
james.clk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Good bloke)
Definitely. A car park with public access is classed as a public road even if it is private land.
In which case I’ll avoid completely
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's illegal unless you own the car park/have permission from the owner.

Good luck learning
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Moved to Learning to drive.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
It's illegal unless you own the car park/have permission from the owner.
Not quite. Driving in a public place without insurance is always illegal, regardless of whether you are the landowner or have the landowner's permission.
stimtothesky
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Not quite. Driving in a public place without insurance is always illegal, regardless of whether you are the landowner or have the landowner's permission.
But surely a car park is privately owned land? So not technically a public place. If you are the landowner/have permission it must be privately owned.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
But surely a car park is privately owned land? So not technically a public place. If you are the landowner/have permission it must be privately owned.
Privately owned or not, if it is accessible to the public the law demands that drivers carry insurance to protect the public.
It's****ingWOODY
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Suppose if you closed it off to the public and you owned the car park you could probably do it, but then I can't imagine OP owns a car park or knows anyone who owns a car park, so it's sort of irrelevant.
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Pubic car park... key word is public.
stimtothesky
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
Suppose if you closed it off to the public and you owned the car park you could probably do it, but then I can't imagine OP owns a car park or knows anyone who owns a car park, so it's sort of irrelevant.
Yeah yeah I was just playing devils advocate :-) Thanks for playing along!
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In which case I’ll avoid completely
If you're under 17 there are some places around the country like disused airfields that have driving available to 16 year olds, or just wait until you're 17 and do it properly though lessons and learner insurance.
james.clk
Rep:
?
(Original post by jameswhughes)
If you're under 17 there are some places around the country like disused airfields that have driving available to 16 year olds, or just wait until you're 17 and do it properly though lessons and learner insurance.
I’m 17
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m 17
Great, so you can drive legally on the public roads! :lol:

If you want to practice on your parents cars as well as lessons then learner insurance is fairly cheap, when I did it it was something like £1 a day.
james.clk
Rep:
?
(Original post by jameswhughes)
Great, so you can drive legally on the public roads! :lol:

If you want to practice on your parents cars as well as lessons then learner insurance is fairly cheap, when I did it it was something like £1 a day.
£1 A DAY??????
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
£1 A DAY??????
Yeah. I had it through Marmalade, it might be a bit more expensive now as that was a few years ago.
student advice
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
you are not going to learn much in a car park, you need a good driving instructor at the start so you do not pick up any bad habits and you can build up your confidence. later when you are more confident you can then look at practising privately but initially i would defo get a good instructor with dual controls
james.clk
Rep:
?
(Original post by student advice)
you are not going to learn much in a car park, you need a good driving instructor at the start so you do not pick up any bad habits and you can build up your confidence. later when you are more confident you can then look at practising privately but initially i would defo get a good instructor with dual controls
Did u graduate (in driving practical) first time?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.49%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.97%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.02%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.15%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.34%

Watched Threads