The Student Room Group

Creative Writing PhD

My undergraduate and master's degrees were both in English literature. On the 'How to Apply' page for the university I'm hoping to apply to, it asserts that 'Potential candidates for the PhD in Creative Writing should be experienced writers and will usually hold an MA in Creative Writing or other relevant subject at Merit or Distinction level'. I'm just wondering if English literature constitutes a 'relevant subject'? And has anybody else here made the same conversion from English studies to a Creative Writing PhD; if so, what did you do to prepare? Many thanks.
Original post by Perfuddled
My undergraduate and master's degrees were both in English literature. On the 'How to Apply' page for the university I'm hoping to apply to, it asserts that 'Potential candidates for the PhD in Creative Writing should be experienced writers and will usually hold an MA in Creative Writing or other relevant subject at Merit or Distinction level'. I'm just wondering if English literature constitutes a 'relevant subject'? And has anybody else here made the same conversion from English studies to a Creative Writing PhD; if so, what did you do to prepare? Many thanks.

Did your English Literature masters degree involve writing original pieces? Did you do many modules on creative writing or something similar? If so, your previous degrees could be seen as a relevant subject. I guess it also depends on whether you want to apply for a pre-existing project or want to develop one yourself, and what both of these entail (and whether you have the necessary prerequisite skills to do what's required).
Ask the admissions team at the university or head of discipline. Do you regard yourself as an experienced writer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending