(Original post by Leviathan1611)
no they're creeping things
they're still animals
I'mCookieMonster
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
They are classified as part of the animal kingdom. Guess because they aren't cute and fluffy people don't seem to mind as much? Also some insects are frankly horrible... like wasps
RedGiant
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
If we’re really going to take a saw at that branch, why don’t more highly evolved members of the animal kingdom (basically all mammals) have animal rights?

What people often forget is that Homo sapiens are still animals themselves, albeit much more evolved and (generally, but not always) more intelligent and cognitively skilled. Hence why society and civilization exists. In other words, we like to exclude ourselves from evolution.
Last edited by RedGiant; 8 months ago
TollyG
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Because they lack evidence feelings/consciousness/emotions/cuteness that other animals have been shown to demonstrate, probably?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Mice and rats are animals too.
Most people don't think of them as pets.
Nor a potential source of meat- cat and falcon owners exempted.
The general consensus seems to be "vermin that pest control need to come get rid off".
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
my partner just asked me wtf is going on tsr today, I showed him this.
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by I'mCookieMonster)
They are classified as part of the animal kingdom. Guess because they aren't cute and fluffy people don't seem to mind as much? Also some insects are frankly horrible... like wasps
(Original post by londonmyst)
Mice and rats are animals too.
Most people don't think of them as pets.
Nor a potential source of meat- cat and falcon owners exempted.
The general consensus seems to be "vermin that pest control need to come get rid off".

yeah, probably this tbh

seems unfair on insects, but it's true i guess
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Insects have a much less well-developed nervous system than mammals. The nature of their experience of the world is probably very different and they have no emotions or feelings. This gets a bit philosophical, but I suspect they are incapable of suffering as we know it.

They don't have a spine or a central nervous system, which are the hardware that we use to think, emote, and suffer.
Last edited by anosmianAcrimony; 8 months ago
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Airmed)
my partner just asked me wtf is going on tsr today, I showed him this.

Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ANM775)
I wish you good fortune in your quest for ant rights
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
they're still animals
not very pleasant 'animals' though
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Because:

JustOneMoreThing
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Mosquitos can suck my lilly white ****
DavidJES
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I mean aren't they animals?

Kill a spider and you're a hero
Kill a cat and you're an evil murderer

Kinda seems a bit wrong on some level?
I agree. While I don't think they're defined as animals, they are still living beings. People just disregard them, mainly I think, because they are small compared to us humans. People think they are tiny, irrelevant things with no feelings. Actually, if you compare a tiny insect to an atom or even a blood cell, they are huge.

Given a spider flinches or tries to get away if you touch it, it seems highly likely that they are feeling something. I always try my best not to hurt insects. The last thing I killed was a mosquito and I made sure I did the deed in a split second to put it out of its misery quickly.

It's really just an extension of belief starting with: do you feel pain? Most people would agree that they themselves can feel pain. The next step is: can other people feel pain? The steps are as follows:

Can you feel pain? > Can other people feel pain? > Can animals (like cows) feel pain? > Can insects feel pain?

A lot of people cut off at about the animal mark. I personally think they are wrong and that insects do feel pain or some sort of discomfort which signals them to get away and increase their chances of survival. At the end of the day, it's possible for yourself to feel pain, so you have to have faith that it's possible for other living things to feel pain and try your best to treat living beings with as much kindness and respect as possible.
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by RedGiant)
If we’re really going to take a saw at that branch, why don’t more highly evolved members of the animal kingdom (basically all mammals) have animal rights?

What people often forget is that Homo sapiens are still animals themselves, albeit much more evolved and (generally, but not always) more intelligent and cognitively skilled. Hence why society and civilization exists. In other words, we like to exclude ourselves from evolution.
Don't forget the movement to give gorillas human rights a while back.
hazmort
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Why doesnt bacteria have animal rights?
username2861570
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I went to the toilet today only to find a big arse fly sitting on the inside of it. I tried to get it to fly out but it wouldn't. I was desperate so I had to flush it down the toilet. I honestly felt so bad

I'm all about showing compassion to all living things, that even means insects too so I legit felt down for a while
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (22)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (5)
15.15%
Yes but I might change my mind (6)
18.18%

Watched Threads