nabid61
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
In preparation for my Tort Exam this month I am going through some past questions. However I have no idea as to how to structure paragraphs, what to include and how to answer the questions.

The question is:

‘The existing law of trespass to the land does not adequately protect landowners against unjustifiable interference from unwanted visitors.’ Discuss.

It seems so damn easy, and it is, but I have no clue how to introduce points, give evidence, and explain them. My uni never actually taught us how to write up answers in Law. Please help somebody.
DarkChaoz95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nabid61)
In preparation for my Tort Exam this month I am going through some past questions. However I have no idea as to how to structure paragraphs, what to include and how to answer the questions.

The question is:

‘The existing law of trespass to the land does not adequately protect landowners against unjustifiable interference from unwanted visitors.’ Discuss.

It seems so damn easy, and it is, but I have no clue how to introduce points, give evidence, and explain them. My uni never actually taught us how to write up answers in Law. Please help somebody.
structure is typically straightforward.

Just follow PEEL when answering the question. First talk about arguments that supports the question and then talk about evidence that contradicts the question. I.e things that protects landowners reasonably protects them.

E.g. supporting side:

Para 1: make a supporting point, provide evidence of this i.e the law or cases, explain the relevance/impact of the law/case. Then link it back to the question and then repeat it until you got nothing to say to support the question

Then move on and do the same for the contradiction side.

After, quickly summerize your arguments and then conbased on your arguments conclude overall by answering the question.

PEEL = point, evidence, explain, link
nabid61
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by DarkChaoz95)
structure is typically straightforward.

Just follow PEEL when answering the question. First talk about arguments that supports the question and then talk about evidence that contradicts the question. I.e things that protects landowners reasonably protects them.

E.g. supporting side:

Para 1: make a supporting point, provide evidence of this i.e the law or cases, explain the relevance/impact of the law/case. Then link it back to the question and then repeat it until you got nothing to say to support the question

Then move on and do the same for the contradiction side.

After, quickly summerize your arguments and then conbased on your arguments conclude overall by answering the question.

PEEL = point, evidence, explain, link
Thanks for the reply, it was helpful.

Throughout my A-levels etc I used the PEEL method, and it's commonly used in essay writing. I was wondering if you use this method for Law because I was just really confused in how to use it for Law. I heard you use a different method. I'm really not sure.

This is such a common area for Law (how to answer exam question), yet every site or forum I go to, it's always focusing on problem questions, something which I find pretty straight forward (Problem, Facts, relate facts to a case, does case principal apply to facts, final outcome - simple).
DarkChaoz95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nabid61)
Thanks for the reply, it was helpful.

Throughout my A-levels etc I used the PEEL method, and it's commonly used in essay writing. I was wondering if you use this method for Law because I was just really confused in how to use it for Law. I heard you use a different method. I'm really not sure.

This is such a common area for Law (how to answer exam question), yet every site or forum I go to, it's always focusing on problem questions, something which I find pretty straight forward (Problem, Facts, relate facts to a case, does case principal apply to facts, final outcome - simple).
No worries!

Yeah i guess people want to avoid answering essay questions in exams :P

Myself included, i prefer problem questions but i did tackled essay questions during 2 exams during my law degree. If I recall it was EU and con&ad.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (110)
5.07%
Uncertainty around my education (327)
15.06%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (232)
10.69%
Lack of purpose or motivation (302)
13.91%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (100)
4.61%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (123)
5.67%
Loneliness (187)
8.61%
Financial worries (83)
3.82%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (93)
4.28%
Exposure to negative news/social media (101)
4.65%
Lack of real life entertainment (116)
5.34%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (190)
8.75%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (207)
9.53%

Watched Threads