The Student Room Group

Immigrant or international student

Hello everyone
i’m currently in year 13 and have already applied to go to uni to study a nursing and midwifery course However I am not a British citizen but a Nigerian citizen but I have lived in the UK for majority of my life since I was four I’m currently on a dependent Visa and was wondering whether or not I would have to extend or change my Visa to gain legibility for student finance and other things I may need to support me On my course. The reason I’m asking this question is because one of the universities that I applied to recently sent me an email talking about tier four visas,However this was for international students and I am not an international student but an immigrant. I was wondering then if I would be treated the same as an international student coming from another country or as an immigrant because the tier four Visa suggest that you are a foreign student and you’re coming to study in the UK however I have because I have been in the UK for majority of my life I was wondering whether this teir four Visa is applicable for meOr whether I would have to change my dependency Visa to this tier four Visa.Because although I am not a British citizen I have lived in the UK for the majority of my life and therefore it would be unfair to treat me as a foreign student. Has anyone been in a similar position to me or know somebody that has been or knows what to do in this given situation and who I may need to contact such as student finance or the home office et cetera. Thanks for your help
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies
go to the residency section
you're eligible because you've lived in the UK long enough.
Original post by Canigo2uni
Hello everyone
i’m currently in year 13 and have already applied to go to uni to study a nursing and midwifery course However I am not a British citizen but a Nigerian citizen but I have lived in the UK for majority of my life since I was four I’m currently on a dependent Visa and was wondering whether or not I would have to extend or change my Visa to gain legibility for student finance and other things I may need to support me On my course. The reason I’m asking this question is because one of the universities that I applied to recently sent me an email talking about tier four visas,However this was for international students and I am not an international student but an immigrant. I was wondering then if I would be treated the same as an international student coming from another country or as an immigrant because the tier four Visa suggest that you are a foreign student and you’re coming to study in the UK however I have because I have been in the UK for majority of my life I was wondering whether this teir four Visa is applicable for meOr whether I would have to change my dependency Visa to this tier four Visa.Because although I am not a British citizen I have lived in the UK for the majority of my life and therefore it would be unfair to treat me as a foreign student. Has anyone been in a similar position to me or know somebody that has been or knows what to do in this given situation and who I may need to contact such as student finance or the home office et cetera. Thanks for your help

You’ve lived in the UK for long enough, so you meet that requirement.

The other requirement you need to meet is having ‘settled status’ in the UK. This basically means that you need to have “Indefinite Leave to Remain.”

Given that you’ve lived in the UK for over 10 years, I’m pretty sure you’re eligible to apply for ILR. You probably need to do some research into the process? As long as you have ILR status by the first day of your course then you can get student finance.
Also, after 12 months of ‘Indefinite Leave to Remain’ status you’ll be eligible for British citizenship, if that’s something you’re interested in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending