A1renegade
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What would happen if I wrote an okay critical essay in the exam but it didn't really answer the question? How limited would my marks be?

I'm only asking this because my prelim is in a couple days and A) I'm a slow writer and I usually take several hours to write a coherent essay and B) I haven't really revised much english.

In hindsight, that was a stupid decision but I can't really change that now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
sjbelkin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don’t really understand why you can’t just answer the question they’ve given you?
A1renegade
Rep:
?
(Original post by sjbelkin)
I don’t really understand why you can’t just answer the question they’ve given you?
Because I have 2 essays I've done in class which have around 14-15 out of twenty and I was kind of thinking about re-writing them in the exam so I don't get quite as bad a mark.
BruisedBroccoli
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your marks will be pretty low, considering you're assessed on both "focus on the demands of the question" and "evaluative stance with respect to the text and the task". You'd be much better off just attempting to answer one of the questions you're given. Take the essays you already have written and use them as a template for that type of question. I totally get your problem - I'm the same.
A1renegade
Rep:
?
I had a feeling that would be the case. Thanks anyway though!
amber100
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
H xx You could always just learn a lot of quotes for each type of aspect - setting, charcter, theme e.t.c and learn your conclusion and intro and just add a sentence during the exam which relates to the question, have an idea for the analysis of them xx I personally learnt 3 essays off by heart but if you have time you could always add to it xx Or if its too lengthy, just use short quotes but develop your analysis xx Hope this helped xx What are you doing your critical essay on? xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (502)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (620)
41.53%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (303)
20.29%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.55%

Watched Threads