Struggling to decide about unis

Watch this thread
username4437280
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
bewefsf
Last edited by username4437280; 3 years ago
Lancaster University
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by somewhathopeful)
I'm likely to be predicted A*A*A (in maths, economics, etc) and I have a few preferences for university but would also be interested in which universities would be best in making me more favorable towards investment banks.
However my GCSEs are very poor in comparison and therefore probably stop me from getting into unis, e.g Oxbridge and LSE.
I also know this is rather in advance of applying in September/October but I like to plan ahead.

These are the courses I'm considering:

Economics and Econometrics @ Bristol, A*AA
Economics @ KCL, A*AA
Economics @ Cambridge, A*A*A (long shot I know but why not)
Economics @ St Andrews, AAA
Economics @ Durham, AAA
Economics @ Manchester, AAB

If this is the wrong place to post, sorry. This is my first time posting I hope I can be forgiven, I will learn.
So, please let me know what you think.

Thanks
To give you an an opinion from someone with a foot in both investment banking and the university system.
There is very little to chose between your top 4 listed universities.None would give you a particular advantage /disadvantage
versus each other to get into IB. The later would depend on your motivation and how you build up your CV over the next 18 months.
If you (or anyone lese) want a Lancaster Uni (where I am Investment Banking Careers Coach due to my 30 years experience in the latter) branded document 'How To Build Your CV From University Day 1' drop me an email via the Contact Me button on Opening City Doors website.
lurker7
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Don't bother with Manchester, unless you have a top 1% CV breaking into front office is really hard at most banks.
St Andrew's is a semi-target but stupidly far away, I have a mate who actually missed a summer AC because the train was too long/expensive, if you care for banking I don't see why you'd apply here.

At Bristol do straight Economics, with "with Econometrics" doesn't make it more highly regarded and the Metrics modules are by a mile the hardest to get a first in (HR don't know this), so just do straight Econ and maximise the chance you get a first.

So I have friends doing Cambridge maths with 3 A*s and a couple of Bs at GCSE, GCSEs are moreso correlated with the people who get into Oxbridge rather than being a strict requirement, you're far from borderline so should stand a good shot.

Applying to KCL implies you're open to live in London, so with those grades, even missing Cambridge/LSE you can make your other 3 Uni's "high tier" as even with A*AA you'll get offers from the other 3 most likely.

Apply:
Cambridge
LSE
UCL/Warwick
Bristol
Durham

Bristol/Durham are strong semi targets (I personally feel Durham is marginally more targetted but Bristol has a selection bias of a higher proportion of students targetting finance). Personally I'd drop Durham due to it's geographical proximity issues and apply UCL and Warwick if I were you. You'd then have 4 strong targets there and Bristol will be sure to give you an offer.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Cambridge is good
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Two points...

1) If you don't apply you have zero chance.

2l The aim is not to get 5 offers. It is to get at least 2 offers from universities at which you would be happy to study.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (94)
20.17%
The paper was reasonable (178)
38.2%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.54%
It was TERRIBLE (75)
16.09%

Watched Threads