The Student Room Group

Gcse stress

Hey, I’m currently a year 11 student stressing over my GCSE’s I have only 3 months left until I sit them. Honestly, I’m not the cleverest In my subjects. Recently, I’ve been studying quite often but I’m still stressed, my grades aren’t looking the best even though I try in lessons, I can’t even pass the main subjects. Please help me I don’t know what to do.
stop stressing for a start !!!! it’s good to be stressed yeh it shows that you care but GCSES do not define your life or yourself and stressing will only make things worse - revise and go to extra revision classes - do past papers and talk to your teachers . consider getting a tutor and talk to your friends and family they’ll help you along the way !!! good luck
Reply 2
Original post by PrincessKeira
stop stressing for a start !!!! it’s good to be stressed yeh it shows that you care but GCSES do not define your life or yourself and stressing will only make things worse - revise and go to extra revision classes - do past papers and talk to your teachers . consider getting a tutor and talk to your friends and family they’ll help you along the way !!! good luck

Thank you for your feedback, I take intervention sessions in school so that will hopefully help me. Fingers crossed I will pass, I really need to go to a good college but if I fail I’m doomed.
This time last year I hadn't even thought about revision I just kept delaying it as much as I could and still managed to get good grades XD all I will say is you got a few months which is more than most people have and is better than nothing, prioritise subjects and work at your own pace, don't force yourself into too much revision you're not gonna like it. do little bits spaced out. Dont do similar subjects together that will make it harder to remember. Know where your weaknesses are and focus on them, but don't forget your strengths, big mistake I made. I gave most of my time to the areas I was weaker at and instead did better in those than the areas I was actually confident in (overconfidence) lol but just take it easy and be confident. My mocks weren't great, I didn't pass most subjects but in the end passed all of them so don't worry about right now just prepare yourself for the real thing, good luck :smile:
It's important that you study for a few hours everyday at home as well- there aren't enough school hours to finish learning everything you need to get good GCSE grades. You should be increasing this independent study as you get closer the actual GCSEs. More hours spent studying correlates with higher grades.
3 months is plenty of time. I went from a grade 5 to 9 in Maths in just 2 weeks, because I dedicated all of my days in those weeks to improving my maths skills. You shouldn't worry if you're generally not a 'clever' student because the students that get the highest grades are always the hardest working ones.

As well as increasing the time you spend studying, you need to ensure that you're studying effectively. I recommend using spaced repetition- this technique has helped me to retain memory of topics so that I don't have to waste time going over the same things in case I forgot. Watch this video to learn more about it.
Reply 5
Original post by justarosexo
This time last year I hadn't even thought about revision I just kept delaying it as much as I could and still managed to get good grades XD all I will say is you got a few months which is more than most people have and is better than nothing, prioritise subjects and work at your own pace, don't force yourself into too much revision you're not gonna like it. do little bits spaced out. Dont do similar subjects together that will make it harder to remember. Know where your weaknesses are and focus on them, but don't forget your strengths, big mistake I made. I gave most of my time to the areas I was weaker at and instead did better in those than the areas I was actually confident in (overconfidence) lol but just take it easy and be confident. My mocks weren't great, I didn't pass most subjects but in the end passed all of them so don't worry about right now just prepare yourself for the real thing, good luck :smile:

Thanks for your reply, I really needed to get my head around things since I keep studying things then forgetting it the next day. Hopefully I will succeed.
Original post by Studenty11
Hey, I’m currently a year 11 student stressing over my GCSE’s I have only 3 months left until I sit them. Honestly, I’m not the cleverest In my subjects. Recently, I’ve been studying quite often but I’m still stressed, my grades aren’t looking the best even though I try in lessons, I can’t even pass the main subjects. Please help me I don’t know what to do.

Year 11 is such a stressful, busy time & one of the hardest years of your academic life that you've had to go through so far so I'm not going to say don't stress because I think stress is just inevitable. Having said that, talk to your family, friends, AT/support staff if its becoming too much because at the end of the day your mental health matters a hell of a lot more than GCSEs do so look after yourself!! It sounds if you are working incredibly hard already so well done for that. You are getting there! Maybe just start doing an hour a week for each subject for now & then increase this around march time until exam season. Look back over mocks & EUT's that you've done to see where you have gone wrong to then make a revision plan which incorporates your weaknesses within it. Just make sure you give yourself time to relax & spend time doing what you love because being happy & doing things because you want to not because you have to is just as important. Keep on going - good luck :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Infinite Series
It's important that you study for a few hours everyday at home as well- there aren't enough school hours to finish learning everything you need to get good GCSE grades. You should be increasing this independent study as you get closer the actual GCSEs. More hours spent studying correlates with higher grades.
3 months is plenty of time. I went from a grade 5 to 9 in Maths in just 2 weeks, because I dedicated all of my days in those weeks to improving my maths skills. You shouldn't worry if you're generally not a 'clever' student because the students that get the highest grades are always the hardest working ones.

As well as increasing the time you spend studying, you need to ensure that you're studying effectively. I recommend using spaced repetition- this technique has helped me to retain memory of topics so that I don't have to waste time going over the same things in case I forgot. Watch this video to learn more about it.

Thanks for your reply, I found your advice very helpful, I will make sure to use space repetition from now onwards. Wish me luck :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Lydia.Mx
Year 11 is such a stressful, busy time & one of the hardest years of your academic life that you've had to go through so far so I'm not going to say don't stress because I think stress is just inevitable. Having said that, talk to your family, friends, AT/support staff if its becoming too much because at the end of the day your mental health matters a hell of a lot more than GCSEs do so look after yourself!! It sounds if you are working incredibly hard already so well done for that. You are getting there! Maybe just start doing an hour a week for each subject for now & then increase this around march time until exam season. Look back over mocks & EUT's that you've done to see where you have gone wrong to then make a revision plan which incorporates your weaknesses within it. Just make sure you give yourself time to relax & spend time doing what you love because being happy & doing things because you want to not because you have to is just as important. Keep on going - good luck :smile:

Thanks for your feedback, I agree my mental health goes up and down; one minute I’m completely relaxed the other I end up crying until I sleep. your right I should have some time to relax as well. Hopefully, I’ll pass with good grades thanks for the support :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest