The Student Room Group

EU already preparing for inevitable delay to Article 50

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
You can't possibly think you talk for 17.4 million people from your random little account on a pokey student forum...

The referendum didn't give any kind of indication on how, just what. Don't get your knickers in a twist because you've now realised your lot didn't have a ****ing clue what they were doing.

Well we were all told many times that it meant leaving the CU/SM, did the remainers not hear that bit?
Which part of staying in the EU equates to our vote to leave exactly?
Original post by ColinDent
Again, yawn.

If being posed questions tires you out as much as demonstrated in this thread then you might want to call your GP.

Assuming you don't mind seeing someone 'foreign'...
Again, yawn.

Agree
Original post by Drewski
If being posed questions tires you out as much as demonstrated in this thread then you might want to call your GP.

Assuming you don't mind seeing someone 'foreign'...

Lol calm yourself mate, it's not good for the heart. I'm afraid it's boring old diatribe that tires me so, fullofsurprises I assume, is an ironic name!
(edited 5 years ago)
Lol calm yourself mate, it's not good for the heart. I'm afraid it's boring old diatribe that tires me so, fullofsurprises I assume, is an ironic name!

Might well be boring, but it's a damn sight more accurate than your bilge...
Original post by Drewski
Might well be boring, but it's a damn sight more accurate than your bilge..

Great comeback ;-) lol
Great comeback ;-) lol

:troll:
It’s time for a second referendum so that the people can have a say on the current Brexit deal. It should be either this or no Brexit at all, and hopefully the people will choose the latter. It is clear that no deal is not an option and never has been regardless of what May has been saying over the past year.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by akbar0123
It’s time for a second referendum so that the people can have a say on the current Brexit deal. It should be either this or no Brexit at all, and hopefully the people will choose the latter. It is clear that no deal is not an option and never has been regardless of what May has been saying over the past year.

The current deal on the table is certainly not the best that could be achieved so it would be disingenuous to offer just that and remain, not that there should be a referendum until after the last one has been enacted.
The current deal on the table is certainly not the best that could be achieved so it would be disingenuous to offer just that and remain, not that there should be a referendum until after the last one has been enacted.

They can have a referendum on the deal as long as there is no remain option or norway option as that is the same as staying without a vote on anything.
Original post by paul514
They can have a referendum on the deal as long as there is no remain option or norway option as that is the same as staying without a vote on anything.

True
Reply 51
True

So, you do not buy the gradualist approach that has Brexit as a process rather than an event, try reading Flexcit.

http://www.eureferendum.com/documents/flexcit.pdf
Original post by DJKL
So, you do not buy the gradualist approach that has Brexit as a process rather than an event, try reading Flexcit.

http://www.eureferendum.com/documents/flexcit.pdf

No I don't, the quicker we leave the better
Reply 53
No I don't, the quicker we leave the better

Shame, it even had a chance of working without wrecking the economy and given how it would have reduced sudden shocks could even have got backing from Remainers like me.

As in the H of C, it seems no compromise, which increases the chances that leaving never happens.

I would have thought, given how the political landscape is shaping, that brexit bird in the hand syndrome might have finally started to overcome ideology, seems not, looks like double or quits.
Reply 54
Original post by paul514

They can have a referendum on anything they like if they wrest control of parliament, so the $64 billion dollar question is, can the rebel alliance destroy the Death Star?
Original post by DJKL
Shame, it even had a chance of working without wrecking the economy and given how it would have reduced sudden shocks could even have got backing from Remainers like me.

As in the H of C, it seems no compromise, which increases the chances that leaving never happens.

I would have thought, given how the political landscape is shaping, that brexit bird in the hand syndrome might have finally started to overcome ideology, seems not, looks like double or quits.

Not necessarily, no deal is still possible.
Personally I would've preferred a structured deal but parliament has put an end to any chance of that.
We voted to leave and that is what should happen.
Original post by nulli tertius
I do not think the Government or the Commons has the power to revoke Article 50. There is a lot of authority bolstered by the Miller case that once Parliament has legislated on a matter, that supersedes prerogative powers. In other words, only another Act of Parliament will do.

The same isn’t true for delay. The reason is that the Withdrawal Act made provision for the Government to change the departure date by statutory instrument. It is arguable that this gives implied power for the government to agree delays with the 27 EU members. Why confer the power on government if it could never use it?

I think it is inevitable that the Government will lose control of the Order Paper unless May makes it clear that she will facilitate debate on any proposal that might command the support of the House. If she loses control over the Order Paper, no Government will get it back. It was originally a device to prevent Irish Home Rule disruption.

Aye the Withdrawal Act fixes the Exit Day. There is power under the Act for ministers to create secondary legislation, but only in a very limited way -- to fill gaps in the law post-Exit and to implement the withdrawal agreement. All fiddly things.
Original post by DJKL
They can have a referendum on anything they like if they wrest control of parliament, so the $64 billion dollar question is, can the rebel alliance destroy the Death Star?

No because everything they can do can be ignored by the government IF may actually wants no deal if she can’t get hers through.
Reply 58
Not necessarily, no deal is still possible.
Personally I would've preferred a structured deal but parliament has put an end to any chance of that.
We voted to leave and that is what should happen.

Yes, still possible. Given nobody has a clue I was at:

1 May's deal 33%
2. No deal 33%
3.Remain 33%
4. Alien's landing 1% (actually lower but rounded up)

I think 1. has dropped a bit but Norway has maybe nudged in with a small chance, say 5%, 2,No Deal ,I think has also dropped,3, Remain (at least as a pro tem position) still near 33%, Aliens- well there were these strange radio bursts so it is charging up on the rails and is now rounded down to 1% rather than up.

All to play for, round one tomorrow, but with the rate of change on the DJKL odds Aliens may be the way to go to sort matters.
Reply 59
Original post by paul514
No because everything they can do can be ignored by the government IF may actually wants no deal if she can’t get hers through.

No so if they get control of scheduling, if your view was correct there would not be all the drama, if they can get a Bill introduced and the scheduling then game on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending