The Student Room Group

Year 10 Work Experience

[I’m new to TSR, so I hope this is posted in the right category!]

I’m a Year 10 student who is a bit stuck on what to do for her work experience. If I tell you what I’m taking for GCSEs maybe that will help you inspire me. Ok, I’m doing:
- Triple science
- English language and literature
- Maths
- German
- Geography
- IT/Computer Science
- Art

I was thinking about maybe going to my local Apple or Samsung store for the week, however they’re both in the same shopping centre which would be about 1.5 hours on the bus (and I don’t want to take the train). I really want to do something that involves technology (hence my original idea of the two tech companies) but I think the closest I’d get to that locally would be a repair store or something like Curry’s PC world or even the mobile networks, eg. O2, EE, Vodafone. (Which would seem a bit traitor-ish since my phone is on Tesco, haha.)

Any advice on applying for work experience would also be appreciated. School has given us a self-placement form, but my friends have gone all over the place with applying - some have been into the place, one has emailed the place, and one has even got it sorted through her older sister.

Thanks a lot,
Erin xx
Thinking back to when I did my work experience so many years ago I went to Edinburgh Airport where I actually work now.
If I could get in there you can pretty much get in anywhere. Key thing to remember is that it’s not a proper job and for the most part you’ll just be watching someone do their job. I have had a couple people with me for some experience and I try and give them little tasks to do although I’m very restrained in what they can do.
So try for a place with not many restrictions, somewhere local and with an interest for you couple ideas police is always fun or so I’ve heard and local newspapers usually take on a few people.
Hope that helped.

Quick Reply