The Student Room Group

Subgroups

Can someone please explain to me why S6 has no subgroups of order 14. I know it's going to involve Lagrange's theorem I'm just not sure how to find the size the group order 14 would be for comparison first. Thank you
Original post by MissMathsxo
Can someone please explain to me why S6 has no subgroups of order 14. I know it's going to involve Lagrange's theorem I'm just not sure how to find the size the group order 14 would be for comparison first. Thank you

Lagrange's theorem is that "if H is subgroup of G then the order of H divides the order of G". The contrapositive formulation of this is that "if the order of H does not divide the order of G then H is not a subgroup of G".

The order of S6 is 6!=720. What can we say about subgroups of order 14 using the contrapositive?
Original post by Cryptokyo
Lagrange's theorem is that "if H is subgroup of G then the order of H divides the order of G". The contrapositive formulation of this is that "if the order of H does not divide the order of G then H is not a subgroup of G".

The order of S6 is 6!=720. What can we say about subgroups of order 14 using the contrapositive?

Yeah I got this part and I know that the subgroup of order 14 must divide G but I don't know how to show that it doesn't as I don't know how to find the size of the subgroup. Hope this makes sense☺️
Yeah I got this part and I know that the subgroup of order 14 must divide G but I don't know how to show that it doesn't as I don't know how to find the size of the subgroup. Hope this makes sense☺️

You are told that the order (size) of the possible subgroup in the question is 14. 14 does not divide 720 so S6 cannot have any subgroups of order 14 by Lagrange's theorem.

Or have I misunderstood?
Original post by Cryptokyo
You are told that the order (size) of the possible subgroup in the question is 14. 14 does not divide 720 so S6 cannot have any subgroups of order 14 by Lagrange's theorem.

Or have I misunderstood?

This is what I thought the answer would be but the mark scheme confused me when it said to use 7 doesn't divide 720. Is this just because if 7 doesn't divide it 14 won't?
This is what I thought the answer would be but the mark scheme confused me when it said to use 7 doesn't divide 720. Is this just because if 7 doesn't divide it 14 won't?

Yes. (I think saying 14 doesn't divide it is a better answer, TBH).

Yes...

If a number is divisible by 14 then it is divisible by 2 and 7.

The number 720 is div by 2, but not by 7, so its not div by 14.

Quick Reply

Latest