The Student Room Group

What would you say is a stronger accent - Scouser, Geordie or Glaswegian?

Ok I realise a lot of this can depend on the individual person, but on the whole can you rank these accents from strongest/thicket being first (i.e most difficult to understand) to clearest/easiest to understand being last? For a neutral/someone not from the area.
Scouser (Liverpudlians), Geordie (Newcastle area) or a Glasgow accent.

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure which one is the most difficult to understand, but as a Geordie, I've found quite a lot of people don't understand what I'm saying half the time
Geordie or Scouser. Glaswegian isn't that hard to understand, IMO.
The Scouse accent varies depending on the part of Liverpool, most people will know the average Scouse accent (or a poor TV impression of it) and struggle but manage to understand. If it's a softer accent from South Liverpool (think the Beatles) then most people can understand perfectly well. The North Liverpool acc not is pretty dire though, fortunately not many of the North Liverpudlians manage to escape that part of the world, so not many people are subjected to them.

I'd vote Geordie
Reply 4
Geordie really isn’t difficult to understand. We just talk very quickly 🤷🏼*♀️ it’s such a nice accent
Definitely not a fan of scouse
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
scouse or glasgow. all depends on how fast the person talks
Reply 6
Strong Glaswegian is generally incomprehensible to most native English speakers... the rest... you get bits.
glaswegian by far
Reply 8
Original post by NightsGoodM.H
glaswegian by far

agreed... has dialect as well as accent. You dissin ma mammie?
Reply 9
Never had an issue with any of them, to be honest. I'd probably go with Weegie if I had to chooce, because I am a Scouser, and my Ma's best mate is a Geordie, so I've grown up with both and they are very familiar.
Reply 10
Original post by 04MR17
The Scouse accent varies depending on the part of Liverpool, most people will know the average Scouse accent (or a poor TV impression of it) and struggle but manage to understand. If it's a softer accent from South Liverpool (think the Beatles) then most people can understand perfectly well. The North Liverpool acc not is pretty dire though, fortunately not many of the North Liverpudlians manage to escape that part of the world, so not many people are subjected to them.

I'd vote Geordie

The worst 'Scouse' accent out the lot os from outside the City - Rainhill!
Original post by gjd800
The worst 'Scouse' accent out the lot os from outside the City - Rainhill!
Don't know what you mean mate

Original post by dylantombides
Ok I realise a lot of this can depend on the individual person, but on the whole can you rank these accents from strongest/thicket being first (i.e most difficult to understand) to clearest/easiest to understand being last? For a neutral/someone not from the area.
Scouser (Liverpudlians), Geordie (Newcastle area) or a Glasgow accent.

A really strong Glaswegian accent, when to Scotland couple years ago and I didn't know what people were saying half the time.
(edited 5 years ago)
love a thick Edinburgh accent :smile: (know thats not an option)
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
love a thick Edinburgh accent :smile: (know thats not an option)

I was just gonna say! My da and his whole fam are from edin!!! :biggrin:

OP I understand scousers and people from glasgow, and geordies as well but i come in contact with them the least so if theres any new age slang i probs dont know it fully. but the accent is easy to decipher, tis like a strong scouser or a weak scot in my book.
Original post by Vinny C
agreed... has dialect as well as accent. You dissin ma mammie?

hehe i say mammy and mam

come on. scots are dead charming.
Original post by lavender_rose
A really strong Glaswegian accent, when to Scotland couple weeks ago and I didn't know what people were saying half the time.

awwww bless can help
Reply 17
Original post by 04MR17
Don't know what you mean mate

I hate how they talk in Speke now as well yknow. Used to work with a bunch of lads from Speke and it was like engaging with a broken dial up modem. (I say this as a boy from Aigburth, haha)
Original post by Bang Outta Order
awwww bless @shameful_burrito can help

Yeah, maybe he can teach me the main slang. Also, edit I went years ago not weeks.
Original post by lavender_rose
Yeah, maybe he can teach me the main slang. Also, edit I went years ago not weeks.

how do u confuse weeks with yrs :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest