Is online school at gcse a viable option?

Watch
lou.st
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Im in my second gcse year atm and i hate school so much. I find it extremely difficult to come in everyday and nothing will make it better. i have recently considered finishing my courses online, i only have a few moths left and i think it would be good for me. however i have my apprehensions and I am wondering if anyone has insights into the world of online school.😊
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lou.st)
Im in my second gcse year atm and i hate school so much. I find it extremely difficult to come in everyday and nothing will make it better. i have recently considered finishing my courses online, i only have a few moths left and i think it would be good for me. however i have my apprehensions and I am wondering if anyone has insights into the world of online school.😊
Just a word of caution that if you withdraw from school they may not do your exam entries or cancel them if they have already been done. You would then be in the difficult position of finding an exam centre as a private candidate and face high late entry fees. Don’t make any decision without consulting with your school.
I have no personal experience to help you choose provider but I’ve noticed lots of positive comments about interhigh. Keep in mind that if you want an online provider it can be expensive. Senecalearning is free but I don’t know how good it is.
Dannyboy2015
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hmmm, stop being lazy and just carry on going to school. If you hate it that much then switch to a different sixth form/college/apprenticeship after.

Also you need to be in full time edumacation until 18, and I don't know of any 'online schools' at the level of study you would be at.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know two people who are studying via InterHigh, and it's working very well for both of them. However, I don't see the point if you're in Y11 now and your exams are just around the corner. You've got, what, 16 weeks in school at the most before your exams? Then it'll all be over. When you think about how many weeks you've done in school before this, 16 more is nothing, and they will also be very busy, so they'll fly by.

You can self-study A Levels (well, be home-schooled, so you would need the support of a parent) but you will have to be sure you have somewhere to sit the exams.
Dannyboy2015
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
I know two people who are studying via InterHigh
Oooo, never heard of it.
username3973192
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It can be tough because there's a lot of independent study but provided you have the right support and resources you should be able to get through it.
lou.st
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dannyboy2015)
Hmmm, stop being lazy and just carry on going to school. If you hate it that much then switch to a different sixth form/college/apprenticeship after.

Also you need to be in full time education until 18, and I don't know of any 'online schools' at the level of study you would be at.
Im not lazy, Im bullied and therefore school is extremely hard. I cant move school because no other school has room in the combination of classes Im studying.
Technically you can stop full time education at 16, however Im going to college next year of A levels. i feel now that home school is the only option.
lou.st
Rep:
?
(Original post by gdunne42)
Just a word of caution that if you withdraw from school they may not do your exam entries or cancel them if they have already been done. You would then be in the difficult position of finding an exam centre as a private candidate and face high late entry fees. Don’t make any decision without consulting with your school.
I have no personal experience to help you choose provider but I’ve noticed lots of positive comments about interhigh. Keep in mind that if you want an online provider it can be expensive. Senecalearning is free but I don’t know how good it is.
What if Im still on the same examination board as the school Im at now and I complete my exams there. I have looked at interhigh, it seems good but as you said its very expensive but i do think its worth it.
Thanks for your help
lou.st
Rep:
?
I know two people who are studying via InterHigh, and it's working very well for both of them. However, I don't see the point if you're in Y11 now and your exams are just around the corner. You've got, what, 16 weeks in school at the most before your exams? Then it'll all be over. When you think about how many weeks you've done in school before this, 16 more is nothing, and they will also be very busy, so they'll fly by.

You can self-study A Levels (well, be home-schooled, so you would need the support of a parent) but you will have to be sure you have somewhere to sit the exams.
I know it seems odd i want to change this late in the game but school is nearly impossible for me to go to as Im bullied and its been this way since the end of year 11(last year) Im seeing home school more like early study leave than anything as its quite close to the end. Interhigh seems good Ive looked into it however its extremely expensive but i think it could be worth it.
thanks for your help
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What if Im still on the same examination board as the school Im at now and I complete my exams there. I have looked at interhigh, it seems good but as you said its very expensive but i do think its worth it.
Thanks for your help
If you drop out of school they may or may not be willing to enter you for exams and if they do they may or may not charge you the exams fees. Only they can tell you what they would do in the circumstances. If they are aware of the bullying they are more likely to to work with you to sort something out. This is why you need to make your plans with their help and support.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
lou.st
Rep:
?
(Original post by gdunne42)
If you drop out of school they may or may not be willing to enter you for exams and if they do they may or may not charge you the exams fees. Only they can tell you what they would do in the circumstances. If they are aware of the bullying they are more likely to to work with you to sort something out. This is why you need to make your plans with their help and support.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Ill consult my school before making any decisions, thanks for your help.
KawaiiArtist
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If your going to choose home schooling at this period of time then you might find it hard doing it with an online provider as you would want to make sure they match the exam boards you were doing at school, and that they have the same subjects, and on top of that they might not allow you to join due to you being in year 11. You could, if you really want to leave school that badly, self study from home. Home education doesn't mean you need to use an online provider, and speaking from experience it might be better to get a tutor.

Apart from InterHigh, there is Wolsey Hall Oxford and Oxford Home Schooling. There are plenty of free resources online too that you could use to supplement your self studying if that was what you were to choose, especially on YouTube. For eg, Mr Bruff, Mr Salles, Primrose Kitten, Hegarty Maths etc.

On another note, have you discussed this with your parents?
lou.st
Rep:
?
(Original post by KawaiiArtist)
If your going to choose home schooling at this period of time then you might find it hard doing it with an online provider as you would want to make sure they match the exam boards you were doing at school, and that they have the same subjects, and on top of that they might not allow you to join due to you being in year 11. You could, if you really want to leave school that badly, self study from home. Home education doesn't mean you need to use an online provider, and speaking from experience it might be better to get a tutor.

Apart from InterHigh, there is Wolsey Hall Oxford and Oxford Home Schooling. There are plenty of free resources online too that you could use to supplement your self studying if that was what you were to choose, especially on YouTube. For eg, Mr Bruff, Mr Salles, Primrose Kitten, Hegarty Maths etc.

On another note, have you discussed this with your parents?
youre right the exam board thing is a concern as ive been studying ccea and thats a small one exclusive to Northern Ireland. The more i research the more i like the idea of self study i just thought the online school would be a good guide. i havent discussed it with my parents yet but they do know i have problems in school and last year we discussed moving but i couldn't as no other school had room in my classes. i was going to bring it up today before i start school again tommorow
KawaiiArtist
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
youre right the exam board thing is a concern as ive been studying ccea and thats a small one exclusive to Northern Ireland. The more i research the more i like the idea of self study i just thought the online school would be a good guide. i havent discussed it with my parents yet but they do know i have problems in school and last year we discussed moving but i couldn't as no other school had room in my classes. i was going to bring it up today before i start school again tommorow
Okay, good luck and hope everything turns out alright x
lou.st
Rep:
?
(Original post by KawaiiArtist)
Okay, good luck and hope everything turns out alright x
thanks for your help😃
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know it seems odd i want to change this late in the game but school is nearly impossible for me to go to as Im bullied and its been this way since the end of year 11(last year) Im seeing home school more like early study leave than anything as its quite close to the end. Interhigh seems good Ive looked into it however its extremely expensive but i think it could be worth it.
thanks for your help
Have you spoken to your teachers at school at all? They might be able to allow you to study privately but within the confines of school if you feel that would be helpful. Honestly, I'm not sure you could enrol this late in the year and expect to be able to sit your GCSEs. Talk to the school and tell them how impossible you're finding school, and see what they suggest. Suggest home schooling yourself, and say you'll email work to your teachers etc. They might go for it, they might not.
lou.st
Rep:
?
Have you spoken to your teachers at school at all? They might be able to allow you to study privately but within the confines of school if you feel that would be helpful. Honestly, I'm not sure you could enrol this late in the year and expect to be able to sit your GCSEs. Talk to the school and tell them how impossible you're finding school, and see what they suggest. Suggest home schooling yourself, and say you'll email work to your teachers etc. They might go for it, they might not.
yeah youre right honestly self study seems better than online school for me. Im hoping to consult my school tommorow about it, and maybe studying privately would be a okay alternative if all else fails.
thanks for your help.
lydiahoward
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
what did you end up doing? I'm going into y11 in September and want to be online school for the last year what do you think?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.87%
I'm not sure (32)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.24%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (328)
47.88%

Watched Threads