Rejected from firm choice. Take a gap year or take other offers? Watch

Ponty Lemon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Need some advice on something. Applied for 3 separate Universities in Film & Television Production, Salford is my firm choice and my ideal location, however my dad's said if i apply for salford as my firm and get rejected then it could be worth taking a gap year then re applying next year, personally I'm leaning more towards if I get an offer from edge hill or Manchester Met taking one of them in the same course rather than waste a gap year due to the fact I am 20 now
hjc2001
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’d suggest applying to your other options and seeing what they come back with, if those don’t work out then take a gap year.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Edge Hill University
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Ponty Lemon)
Need some advice on something. Applied for 3 separate Universities in Film & Television Production, Salford is my firm choice and my ideal location, however my dad's said if i apply for salford as my firm and get rejected then it could be worth taking a gap year then re applying next year, personally I'm leaning more towards if I get an offer from edge hill or Manchester Met taking one of them in the same course rather than waste a gap year due to the fact I am 20 now
Hi, hope you're well!

Can you see yourself studying at your other two choices? You may have an ideal location, but you also want to know you'll be happy studying at other places too. If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend visiting both Edge Hill and Manchester Met to see what they're like. We're holding a few campus tours over the next few months, which you can find out about here.

I wouldn't let age be a concern when it comes to university. I've met people who have joined Edge Hill in their twenties, thirties, or forties, and they've enjoyed their university experience regardless. Sometimes, a gap year can be good for trying new experiences (such as volunteering), but it's your decision at the end of the day. Do what feels best for you.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Alex
GaylordSilly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
can you get into industry other means i.e. bbc etc apprenticeship, work experience, entry level jobs. problem its an all or nothing degree get into industry then happy days. but if u grad realise that grads massivey outsupply jobs. and u dont get anywhere whos gonna be wanting tv production grads then
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Ponty Lemon)
Hold on, Salford may be your preferred choice but it's not your "firm". You only firm after you get an offer Universities have no idea of your preferences until after you firm/insure your offers.

More importantly are you saying you have actually been rejected by Salford? It's not clear from your post...
SomeWelshGuy123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm confused by the use of "firm" in this context. Do you mean preferred? You can't apply for somewhere to be your firm, you select your firm and secondary choice once your offers and rejections are all in.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Actually see what your other unis are like first and see if you like them. Gap year isn't so bad tho, I've met people of all ages at uni and they've all had a gud time. I'm m8s with second years who are turning 22 this year, they're having basically the same experience I'm having regardless.

Your misuse of the word firm is making this super confusing btw but the gist is uh... don't do anything rash? yeah.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (159)
18.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (84)
9.84%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (142)
16.63%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (122)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (82)
9.6%
How can I be the best version of myself? (265)
31.03%

Watched Threads