did you learn these in ur own time or are u native to any of these countries
mpaprika
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by apricotkanken)
did you learn these in ur own time or are u native to any of these countries
I’m polish (native language) so I learnt Russian at home from my parents as they both also speak it. I learnt German and Welsh in school and I live in the UK so that’s how I learnt English
TommyDH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mr. Petrol Head)
That's pretty good! Russian, French and Mandarin are one of the languages I badly wanna learn . Any advice on how would I could learn newer languages from scratch
hmmm, i think the easiest way to learn a language is to listen to people speak it and then converse back with them in those languages, but it's obbv hard when ur on ur own. I personally think watching tv shows in that language is a rlly good idea and you could test your vocab on memrise.com
hope this helps
I learned using DuoLingo, and audiobooks you can get from the library definitely check duolingo out

My girlfriend and I learn together though, she taught me German and then after that we learned other languages together. So when we're together we go to a cafe or something have a coffee and just speak in whatever language we're learning, we have a rule we're not allowed to speak English until we get back home.
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 4 weeks ago
Native English speaker, primarily northern dialect but I'm frogmarching myself through proper elocution, partly because I want to speak more clearly, but mostly because I'm a stammerer.

Aside from that:
  1. French
  2. German
  3. Latin (primarily Mediæval but some Classical)
  4. Some Greek
  5. Anglo-Saxon
  6. Middle English (does this count?)
  7. Old Norse
  8. Some Hebrew

I also know some of the reconstructed Proto Indo-European language (wrote some dialogue in one of my novels in it, so I had to learn a little), and am slowly working on a fictional language of my own.

I can also understand (but not speak) most Romance languages (yey Latin) and some Dutch and Afrikaans. The other Scandinavian languages (Finnish, Swedish) remain a mystery to me thus far.

(Original post by Idg a damn)
I can speak English, Chinese and a tad bit Japanese.

Hajimemashte!
This a common mistake but it drives me batshit. A "tad" is a "little bit". You can have a little bit of something or a tad of it. You don't have a tad bit [of] anything.
Mr. Petrol Head
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TommyDH)
I learned using DuoLingo, and audiobooks you can get from the library definitely check duolingo out

My girlfriend and I learn together though, she taught me German and then after that we learned other languages together. So when we're together we go to a cafe or something have a coffee and just speak in whatever language we're learning, we have a rule we're not allowed to speak English until we get back home.
Aww that's so nice. Keep learning
Mr. Petrol Head
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hmmm, i think the easiest way to learn a language is to listen to people speak it and then converse back with them in those languages, but it's obbv hard when ur on ur own. I personally think watching tv shows in that language is a rlly good idea and you could test your vocab on memrise.com
hope this helps
Deffinitely you've got a point. I need to find someone who's learning the same language as me so that I can practice it good
Mr. Petrol Head
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
thank you! I can speak turkish and uzbek bc of my parents.
What a coincidence, I',m currently studying high school in the Middle East too! and I have a lot of pakistani friends who speak urdu and punjabi too
Best of luck with German and French! French is quite easy so you should be fine. When i tried to learn German, i gave up quickly bc i found it quite challenging and therefore time consuming, but well done to u
I always found french to be much easier than german Shokran! Then we are neighbors lol! Wish you the best too!
Last edited by Mr. Petrol Head; 4 weeks ago
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
the language of lurve

:perv:
apricotkanken
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TommyDH)

That’s rlly nice, even better way of learning a language!!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by apricotkanken; 4 weeks ago
CrazyConnor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I can speak English, a fair bit of French, and apparently enough Welsh to get an A in GCSE short course, which if the exam is anything to go by is about 20 words...
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
wow 7 languages that's amazing! I can write hindi, and that's similar to sanskrit?
I really wish to learn spanish and who knows even tibetan!
I have a book on Hindi here but I've not spent any real time with it (not had much chance!); lots of similarities in principle with Skt, though, yes! I had to learn Sanskrit and Pali for work - not fluent, but good enough to translate old stuff with a dictionary next to me. I'd like to make more effort with European langauges this year. I'd really like to be high-level Portuguese, so begin to will sort that once work has settled down.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CrazyConnor)
I can speak English, a fair bit of French, and apparently enough Welsh to get an A in GCSE short course, which if the exam is anything to go by is about 20 words...
Quite fancy having a go at Welsh myself.
JoshDarnIt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I can speak idiot, does that count?
AlwaysTotoro
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I can speak and read, Tagalog, Bicol, Spanish, Catalan and lastly English. I am teaching myself to learn french idk if that can be included, fyi I'm on still on beginner level.
Spannerin'moi
Badges: 19
Report 6 days ago
Currently speaking :2
Spoiler:
Show
[Malyalam, English]

Can read: 3
Spoiler:
Show
[Arabic, French, Hindi]
Spannerin'moi
Badges: 19
Report 6 days ago
Hi guys this is just out of pure curiosity
I can speak 4 languages excluding English:
- french (working on it)
- turkish
- Uzbek
- bit of Arabic (working on it)
:thumbsup:
:five: for working up Arabic & French
Alesha1991
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Some French & Spanish but I'd like to be more fluent in them. I'm thinking about learning Japanese at some point as well.
apricotkanken
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Alesha1991)
Some French & Spanish but I'd like to be more fluent in them. I'm thinking about learning Japanese at some point as well.
Same bc I really want to visit Japan one day!!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (50)
9.47%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.65%
No, but I want to start (189)
35.8%
No, I am unable to (123)
23.3%
No, I chose not to (152)
28.79%