How to get over your first love? Watch

oglez92
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Thanks to those of you will read this. Basically, how can I get over my long term girlfriend suddenly breaking up with me? Here is some more context on the situation below.

Me and my term girlfriend. It's over. It came so sudden. Just over Christmas, I was the love of her life and man of her dreams. Then suddenly, we had an argument a few days ago. The next day, she sent me a text to say it's over! A one year relationship. Ended. With a text. Just like that. Now her whole family have turned on me, and one of our mutual friends has helped me to learn that she has essentially told a pack of lies about me.

In truth, I realise how controlling she was. She did not support my goals and dreams. I'm glad I've realised this so quickly. I'm now free to pursue my music career, finish my master's degree, and do whatever I want essentially. She secretly resented my music. In fact, she guilt tripped me into stopping my electric guitar lessons!

Honestly I treated her like gold! I cooked for her, always picked her up and dropped her off. I had to pay a toll road to pick her up, but her parents could get it for free. She never took public transport or made her way to mine on her own. I always planned and organised the dates. Well, 90% of the time. We never even had sex. I knew she was a virign and didn't want to push her into anything. Me and my family spoilt her rotten this Christmas too. From her sister, I got a 4 pack of Carling. Although I don't even drink! Not to sound ungrateful, but I spent a lot more and put way more thought into her gift. I know they're broke after her wedding. But I would have been fine if we had agreed not to buy each other a present or to put a limit on it. Say £10 max.

I was introduced to the family and made a part of it. We went on holidays, I was even a groomsman at her sisters wedding at the end of November.

I know I have coping mechanisms. My friends are there for me. And will spend time with me. I have more time to go to gigs now and even pursue a second band, one that plays originals. I've got more time for my degree and going to the gym. I've lost a stone in just over two months and want to continue this. I may even start painting again, and learn to play the electric guitar again.

I do not want her back. Not after how she's handled this. But I know that she made me feel so loved. She was the only one I ever loved and the one that ever loved me. Finding a way to replace that need is going to be very difficult. I'm 27 now. It took me my whole life to find her. 6 years I spent on dating sites looking for someone like her. It was only a year which may not seem like a lot. But to me it was everything. Valentine's Day, Christmas, and certain days in the summer. This when my mood will be at its lowest and I will miss being in a relationship and feel loved.

How will I get over her?
Last edited by oglez92; 7 months ago
ilem
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
She is not a virgin, lol. Not sure how you can even call her your girlfriend if you haven't even had sex, sounds more like you were her personal servant for a year and that's it.

Get over her by ****ing multiple other women.
oglez92
Rep:
?
(Original post by ilem)
She is not a virgin, lol. Not sure how you can even call her your girlfriend if you haven't even had sex, sounds more like you were her personal servant for a year and that's it.

Get over her by ****ing multiple other women.
Exactly. One of my friends said the same thing. I was blind and never saw it that way. I realise that I was being controlled. We had one argument and then she leaves .She couldn't control me.

Maybe some casual dates would be good .but I don't want to mess anybody about. Plus I could do without the distraction .
Arrius
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I would say don't worry about anyone other than yourself at this point man. You have experienced the worst possible outcome from what you thought a loving relationship. Like ilem said, go wild, do whatever you want for a while and **** women. This comes from someone who has years and years of experience with being screwed over by them. They really don't deserve the way you treat them most of the time.
oglez92
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arrius)
I would say don't worry about anyone other than yourself at this point man. You have experienced the worst possible outcome from what you thought a loving relationship. Like ilem said, go wild, do whatever you want for a while and **** women. This comes from someone who has years and years of experience with being screwed over by them. They really don't deserve the way you treat them most of the time.
Thanks I'm sorry that you've had similar experiences to me. My cousin said "it's girls like this that ruin good lads". She's right .

True. I know what my priorities are. I met her online .I could easily log on to POF again and try to find someone else .But that would be the worst thing for me right now. Master's degree and career first .then love .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (178)
23.99%
Pop (182)
24.53%
Jazz (30)
4.04%
Classical (42)
5.66%
Hip-Hop (138)
18.6%