Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Persuade me otherwise... it is ridiculous for vegans to not wear wool, choose your dietary preferences but sheep HAVE to be sheared. Happy to be persuaded otherwise but that’s my opinion... persuade me otherwise
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I remember seeing some PETA poster on this which of course was fake as ****.
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Persuade me otherwise... it is ridiculous for vegans to not wear wool, choose your dietary preferences but sheep HAVE to be sheared. Happy to be persuaded otherwise but that’s my opinion... persuade me otherwise
Look I am no fan of vegans. Vegetarians are fine but vegans..... It was explained to me that in order to have the wool you have to breed sheep and if we wouldn't have enough wool if we didn't eat them.

Apparently vegans take twice as many sick days compared to the rest of us
SpangleMagnet
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
For many vegans, I think the argument is that much wide-scale wool production is done without much thought to the wellbeing of the sheep. Yes, they have to be sheared but that is only because we have selectively bred them to produce enough wool as to make this a necessity. There are plenty of videos, photos etc detailing the shearing process to be traumatic for the sheep. Conversely, there are also farmers who do take care when they shear their sheep.

For me personally, I'd probably be someone people would call 'plant based' rather than wholly vegan as I'm not particularly sure where I stand on the wool debate. I'm against fur and leather (for obvious reasons) and mass produced silk, but wool... I probably wouldn't go out of my way to buy wool, but I also probably wouldn't go out of my way to avoid it either, especially if it was from a smaller supplier/brand rather than mass produced and mass farmed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.41%
Okay (114)
29.01%
A bit lacking (150)
38.17%
Not good at all (92)
23.41%

Watched Threads