AronAdamski
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hey,

I got rejected today from Cambridge Economics. I wanted to ask what are my options now?

Cambridge is on the top of the list of the schools I would like to study in. I know there is still a possibility of doing masters at Cambridge, but I wanted to know if there are any other pathways that would enable me to re-apply to Cambridge for undergraduate course?

I heard that a possibility is to take a gap year, however I hold offers from LSE, UCL and Warwick so I am not sure that turning them down hoping to get an offer in another admissions cycle is a wise choice.

Share your knowledge and thoughts with me please!
Thank you!
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by AronAdamski)
Hey,

I got rejected today from Cambridge Economics. I wanted to ask what are my options now?

Cambridge is on the top of the list of the schools I would like to study in. I know there is still a possibility of doing masters at Cambridge, but I wanted to know if there are any other pathways that would enable me to re-apply to Cambridge for undergraduate course?

I heard that a possibility is to take a gap year, however I hold offers from LSE, UCL and Warwick so I am not sure that turning them down hoping to get an offer in another admissions cycle is a wise choice.

Share your knowledge and thoughts with me please!
Thank you!
Only you can answer the question of whether it's worth waiting a whole year just to have the chance to reapply to Cambridge with no guarentee of success. For me, it would only be worth it if I could think of productive ways to spend that gap year; things that might actually improve my application to Cambridge for the next cycle.

You are lucky enough to have received offers from some fantastic Unis so I would take my time in making this decision - there is no hurry to do so. Attend the Applicant Days and get a better idea of where else you would Firm, and how appealing they are to you. Even Cambridge has it's negatives as well as positives and although there are no other ways of reapplying there for your undergraduate course, you would be a massively strong candidate for a Masters there if you had achieved a high grade in your first degree from somewhere like LSE.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
LSE is certainly on par with, and possibly slightly outstrips Cambridge economics, for single subject economics, so it's not a great loss. Warwick is also similarly close; UCL might be but perhaps with a slightly different emphasis. They're all equivalent as far as employers are concerned, and as far as graduate studies (i.e. PhD) go Warwick or LSE might be a tad stronger since you can take real analysis, abstract linear algebra and/or optimisation as options in those courses (which you can't at Cambridge).

Remember you are applying to study a course at university, not to study at a particular university. If you wouldn't be happy studying economics anywhere but Cambridge, then you wouldn't be happy studying economics, full stop. It being at Cambridge won't change the content you're studying, the references you use to learn the content, etc, etc. There are certainly benefits to studying at Cambridge, and different styles in some respects, but this isn't such a difference that it's not worth studying at any other world class university.

If you are insistent at studying at Cambridge at all costs, then the Archaeology tripos has the highest success rate of applications...I hope you like Akkadian in that case though. I would however recommend sticking with your interests and enjoying that you've got offers for some of the strongest and most selective economics courses in the country (and world, for that matter).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (17)
7.02%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.33%
I don't think they'd understand (40)
16.53%
It might lead to more bullying (87)
35.95%
There's nothing they could do (73)
30.17%

Watched Threads