DankoMan
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys i've recieved this homework on genetics for A level biology and its really hard!!!

Labrador dogs vary in the colours of their coats. The most familiar colours are black or yellow (golden). Chocolate (brown) is slightly less common and the rarest of all combines different colours in patches and is called brindled.
Coat colour is controlled by alleles at two loci.
The colour locus alleles are B (black), br (brindled) and b (chocolate). The dominance hierarchy is B > br > b.
The second locus has two alleles. E allows expression of the colour locus so that dark hairs develop. Its recessive counterpart prevents the expression of dark hairs so the coat colour remains yellow.
A family tree of some Labradors is shown in Figure 1.

1) Identify the pattern of genetic inheritance shown by :
a) the coat colour locus
b) the action of locus E

Many thanks!
DankoMan
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by DankoMan)
Hi guys i've recieved this homework on genetics for A level biology and its really hard!!!

Labrador dogs vary in the colours of their coats. The most familiar colours are black or yellow (golden). Chocolate (brown) is slightly less common and the rarest of all combines different colours in patches and is called brindled.
Coat colour is controlled by alleles at two loci.
The colour locus alleles are B (black), br (brindled) and b (chocolate). The dominance hierarchy is B > br > b.
The second locus has two alleles. E allows expression of the colour locus so that dark hairs develop. Its recessive counterpart prevents the expression of dark hairs so the coat colour remains yellow.
A family tree of some Labradors is shown in Figure 1.

1) Identify the pattern of genetic inheritance shown by :
a) the coat colour locus
b) the action of locus E

Many thanks!
Here is Figure 1
Name:  pedigree tree.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  35.1 KB
callyallen
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
i've just got this haha did u get the answers??
liljoonie
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
I just got this and I have no idea how to answer. Do you have the answers???
deskochan
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
I have tried this question: I get some ideas
Black: 17 E_B_
Chocolate: 3 E_bb
brindled: 7 E_brbr, E_brb
Yellow: 9 eeBB, eeBb, eebrbr, eebrb,eebb

It involves epistasis when a gene at one locus masks the expression of a gene at the second locus so its phenotype is not expressed. I do not have an answer and let me know if you get the answer.
2 genes: (E,e) & (B,br, b)
pigment (E) or no pgiment (e)
pigment concentration: Black (B) > brindled (br) > chocolate
Last edited by deskochan; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed