The Student Room Group

Re-applying to Oxford/Cambridge: Gap Year or A year of uni?

So I recently got rejected from Oxford which was sad, since I thought I was qualified to get in. Anyway, I'm not gonna cry about it since that doesn't help - this is my question:

I'm planning, now, on doing a BA in History at Exeter University. If I do well in my A-Levels, like 3x A*s well, I may consider re-applying to Oxford (or potentially applying to Cambridge). If I want to re-apply I understand I would potentially go back a year and waste money, and I'm not sure if my uni could try to stop me switching so - should I take a gap year and take the risk of not getting in again?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Okay so, having just gone through the same process for Oxford as you have, I recommend first establishing whether you 100% want to reapply:
1. Do you have the motivation to do that process all again?
2. Do you think that you will get in this time?
3. Will taking that entire year off benefit you other than allowing you to reapply?

If the answer to those is a definite yes, then I recommend:
1. Take a gap year but maybe contact the universities you currently have offers from and asking to defer your place so you have that as a back up for 2020
2. Making plans for that gap year so that it benefits you, possibly in a way that helps you get in

Remember that as weird as it sounds because our process has only just ended, that if you’re reapplying then you actually only have two months after results day before your UCAS is due.

Oxbridge isn’t the be all and end all and you will be very happy and successful wherever you go

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending