The Student Room Group

The Official 2019 Cambridge Offer Holder Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Al2706
Definitely on board with having a Law group!

(deleted - please don't promote offsite unofficial chat groups) :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
A*AA for Caius Theology!
Original post by Ali1460
Anyone else for Land Econ?

Im at homerton for land econ, wby
Hi! If anyone's Newnham or Engineering feel free to message me!
Have an offer (A*AA) for Vet Med at Emmanuel College! Anyone else with an offer from Emma/for Vet Med, message me!?
I've been told by my college that they'll probably let me know about my year of entry around April, which is three months from now. What should I do? My exams start around April and last till June, leaving me only a few months to plan a gap year, and I worry any year in industry spots (I've looked for science-related ones, and couldn't find any) being taken by that time, and my options being even more limited than they are already (because I'll be 16 when my gap year starts). @Doonesbury
Will the colleges send out more details in the coming months about what we need to send in about our exam certificates and proof that we can pay the fees?
Original post by Annamies
I've been told by my college that they'll probably let me know about my year of entry around April, which is three months from now. What should I do? My exams start around April and last till June, leaving me only a few months to plan a gap year, and I worry any year in industry spots (I've looked for science-related ones, and couldn't find any) being taken by that time, and my options being even more limited than they are already (because I'll be 16 when my gap year starts). @Doonesbury

You can still look for things to do and then not do them if you don't end up doing a gap year...

I suspect it will be difficult to get an "official" YINI at your age, but I might be wrong.

One idea for the summer: https://hr-dep.web.cern.ch/content/summer-students
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
You can still look for things to do and then not do them if you don't end up doing a gap year...

I suspect it will be difficult to get an "official" YINI at your age, but I might be wrong.

Yes, I'm thinking at 16 a year in industry might be tricky to find (even going to uni in 2020 you'd still be a year younger than most post-A-level undergrads).

I'm just thinking outside the box here: if your college does still insist on an October 2020 start, would you find it useful spending a year learning a new language (either in a third country or in NL or UK)? That could then be a useful skill for you later on as you enter the employment market.
Reply 389
@Doonesbury, do you know roughly when the FB offer holder groups are going to pop up? Or are they waiting until the end of January to make sure everyone's received an offer?
Original post by Ahash
@Doonesbury, do you know roughly when the FB offer holder groups are going to pop up? Or are they waiting until the end of January to make sure everyone's received an offer?

Particular colleges have already set up official offer holders groups. Have you tried searching for one for your college? (My college placed details about a fb offer holder group on the offer letter)
Original post by scoobyice8
Congrats! I’m doing history, if that wasn’t evident from my profile picture... Why did you pick Pembroke?

It’s right next door to the medicine downing site and I wanted to apply to a medium sized old college. Pembroke being pretty and having good food helped and my mum wanted me to apply to St. John’s so as the rebellious teen that I am, I decided to go for Pembroke.
Original post by 学生の父
Yes, I'm thinking at 16 a year in industry might be tricky to find (even going to uni in 2020 you'd still be a year younger than most post-A-level undergrads).

I'm just thinking outside the box here: if your college does still insist on an October 2020 start, would you find it useful spending a year learning a new language (either in a third country or in NL or UK)? That could then be a useful skill for you later on as you enter the employment market.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm actually really not a language person hahah. I had to struggle through a mandatory 4 years of french, 10 years of english, 4 years of german, 3 years of ancient greek and 6 years of latin as a part of my schooling which I kind of hated with a passion (sorry hahah), so I'm kind of done with that. Again I really appreciate the tips, please keep them coming if you have any more. By the way, i will turn 17 in september of my potential gap year
Reply 393
Original post by Lemon1806
Particular colleges have already set up official offer holders groups. Have you tried searching for one for your college? (My college placed details about a fb offer holder group on the offer letter)

Unfortunately they haven't mentioned any details. Any offer holders in Pembroke want to start a FB group?
Original post by Ahash

The CUSU official group was in place for decision day last year so I'm not sure why it's delayed this time. :iiam:
Reply 395
Original post by Doonesbury
The CUSU official group was in place for decision day last year so I'm not sure why it's delayed this time. :iiam:

Ah, thank you, probably not too long before they sort it out then.
Thanks for the advice, but I'm actually really not a language person hahah. I had to struggle through a mandatory 4 years of french, 10 years of english, 4 years of german, 3 years of ancient greek and 6 years of latin as a part of my schooling which I kind of hated with a passion (sorry hahah), so I'm kind of done with that. Again I really appreciate the tips, please keep them coming if you have any more. By the way, i will turn 17 in september of my potential gap year

Yeah, okay, I get that. Three years of compulsory Ancient Greek would be enough to finish most people off! Ik laat je vrij from that idea then.
Has it sunk in for anybody yet? (it hasn't for me)
definitely not!! just gotta get the grades now!
Original post by WebHitchhiker
Has it sunk in for anybody yet? (it hasn't for me)

No, definitely not

Quick Reply

Latest