Elliefggj
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Currently in year 13 doing a level maths and pretty sure I just got a u in my mock. I used to be quite good at maths up until about April last year but now have zero confidence due to numerous negative comments from teacher. I really struggle and feel physically sick before each maths exam or even end of unit tests due to fear of failing and my teacher being angry. I would really love a C as my final grade but I need advice on what to do as how to get there any advice is greatly appreciated
Elliefggj
Rep:
?
(Original post by Elliefggj)
Currently in year 13 doing a level maths and pretty sure I just got a u in my mock. I used to be quite good at maths up until about April last year but now have zero confidence due to numerous negative comments from teacher. I really struggle and feel physically sick before each maths exam or even end of unit tests due to fear of failing and my teacher being angry. I would really love a C as my final grade but I need advice on what to do as how to get there any advice is greatly appreciated
Just to add that I also take biology and psychology and i’m Currently at an A/B level So I know that I’m capable, I just don’t know how to succeed
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just to add that I also take biology and psychology and i’m Currently at an A/B level So I know that I’m capable, I just don’t know how to succeed
ok. breathe!

close your textbooks apart from the formulae and rules. forget that there will be a formulae sheet in the exam. memorise them until they are 100% drilled into the back of your head.

then open the textbook and look at the questions, the formulae and rules should pop out at you and you will make the connections of how to get the solution to each question...
Elliefggj
Rep:
?
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
ok. breathe!

close your textbooks apart from the formulae and rules. forget that there will be a formulae sheet in the exam. memorise them until they are 100% drilled into the back of your head.

then open the textbook and look at the questions, the formulae and rules should pop out at you and you will make the connections of how to get the solution to each question...
Thank you
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I used to get U's all year 12. I was like F dat and yeah.

Here is a list on what you can do (follow religiously)
1. Exam solution anything ya don't know
2. Mathsgenie for quick practise (get something wrong? look at solution/go back to step 1)
3. Dr frost (Do these questions) - make a free account
4. Past paper questions - increase confidence
5. Madasmaths - For the tryhards.

If you pattern this, you will even exceed a C. Maybe get an A/A*
timif2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Plenty of help available on TSR for maths, just post! Or PM me any specific maths a level questions you have and I might be able to help you out with them

More generally, practise more - and always go over things you get wrong. I think combining the most efficient learning techniques in research, I’ve come up with this - 1. In maths, when you get something wrong, teach it to someone as if they were a small child. Do that for every question you get wrong. 2. It’s always good to learn the basics. Without the basics, you can’t climb up the ladder. The best mathematicians are the ones that understand the fundamental principles. You need to make sure you understand the year 1 stuff before you go onto year 2 etc.

Those 2 conditions, combined with hard work, can pretty much guarantee you a good maths grade
imnotacat
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Practise is key.
Practise going over your notes and filling in any gaps in your knowledge, but not too much.
Once you’ve done that, practise questions! This is essential for maths at any level. Have a go at exercises/past papers/etc. And this should help you build confidence.

Even if you haven’t done well in your mock, it is an opportunity to learn and pinpoint your weakness to prepare you for the exams, rather than get disheartened.

Good luck!
Daniel B
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In my year 12 exams I got straight U’s and felt the exact same as you do now, in my year 13 exams I got straight A’s in the exams.

To be honest the only main difference for me is the fact that I devoted myself to the subject; I was spending every free lesson doing past papers, spending every maths lesson scrubbing up on things I wasn’t sure on, and at home doing two or three papers per night. At one point I remember doing 9 hours of straight C4 (with some breaks in between). Obviously you are capable, and confidence is a large factor in maths!

TLDR: Try hard, study every chance you get and be confident.
MarvelsqueenBee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have to retake my GCSE maths so im praying for you 😂😂😂😂

I believe in you and i know that if you set your heart to it you will achieve anything you want 💕
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Daniel B)
In my year 12 exams I got straight U’s and felt the exact same as you do now, in my year 13 exams I got straight A’s in the exams.

To be honest the only main difference for me is the fact that I devoted myself to the subject; I was spending every free lesson doing past papers, spending every maths lesson scrubbing up on things I wasn’t sure on, and at home doing two or three papers per night. At one point I remember doing 9 hours of straight C4 (with some breaks in between). Obviously you are capable, and confidence is a large factor in maths!

TLDR: Try hard, study every chance you get and be confident.
the key point about past papers isn't to understand what you got wrong, it's to understand WHY you didn't spot what you needed to get for the answer
Elliefggj
Rep:
?
Thank you so much everyone😊 made me feel a lot better and I’ll take on board everyone’s advice
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much everyone😊 made me feel a lot better and I’ll take on board everyone’s advice
let us know if you make any progress... if not we can always help you with individual questions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (190)
14.24%
I'm not sure (59)
4.42%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (392)
29.39%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.77%
I'm not a current university student (656)
49.18%

Watched Threads