dk35
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Whats the difference between a BA and BSc in Marketing management? Which one is better? And is Marketing management the same as marketing??
Lancaster University Student Ambassador
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by dk35)
Whats the difference between a BA and BSc in Marketing management? Which one is better? And is Marketing management the same as marketing??
Hello dk35,

I am Rebecca, a current BSc Hons Marketing Management Student at Lancaster University. Great question! I had exactly the same question when looking at marketing courses across the UK when I was applying.

I do not want to incorrectly advise you but as I am sure you are aware BA is the abbreviation for Bachelor of Arts and BSc for Bachelor of Science. Ultimately though the course will vary depending on the University. I do not think it is a question of which is better but more of what is right for you, course, University, location, graduate prospects etc.

Make sure you check out the course structure of different University degree programmes to find the one that is best for you. Here at Lancaster, we have a flexible way of studying allowing you to pick up modules from the wider University including English, Film, Design, Psychology to name a few too!

In terms of the difference between Marketing and Marketing Management will again vary on the University. The Marketing department at Lancaster University was the first Marketing department in the UK and now there are 7 marketing courses!! We have a mix of exams and coursework as part of the Marketing degree programmes at Lancaster University and the course overview, entry requirements and course structure for the Marketing Management degree can be found here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/un...bsc-hons-n503/.

Of the straight Marketing degree and Marketing Management degree the similarities/differences are:

- Same first year, allowing you to swap to one of the other marketing degree schemes at Lancaster if you choose.
- Marketing Management is a four year course (third year on an industrial placement) - one reason I chose this degree!
- Marketing Management encourages you to take management related modules to cement the management aspect of the degree.
- Some modules such as Management of Marketing are compulsory for Marketing Management majors.
- Same fantastic careers support and a wonderful Marketing specific careers coach.
- Take part in Marketing Me sessions in all marketing degrees so not only can you market products/services but you begin to learn how to market yourself!

For me the Marketing Management degree encapsulates everything but there is not too much difference between the two so if you do not want to do a placement year then the Marketing degree has a very strong reputation too and some of my friends are on that programme.

I hope this helped a little bit. To reiterate, the differences are highly likely to vary at other Universities. Please message if you have any questions about studying a Marketing degree or what life as a student at Lancaster University is like and I will happily do my best to help.

Have a wonderful day,

Rebecca
LUMS Student Ambassador
Last edited by Lancaster University Student Ambassador; 2 years ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The course content means more than the title of the degree; the title tends to give almost no indication as to course content. Oxford and Cambridge only award BAs for example; LSE, by comparison, offers almost only BSc courses with one or two exceptions (and one of those is also offered as a BSc with the exact same course content, the title is just the choice of the applicant/student).

See which courses has content (e.g. modules/papers offered) that fits your expectations and preferences better, and apply for that course (or those courses). This will put you in better stead than deciding not to apply to one course because it is a BSc compared to another which is a BA and vice versa, when the original course you decided against may suit your interests better.
NowAndThen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
BA supposedly is less mathsy than BSc.

From an employers' perspective, it doesn't matter. So, it is more of your preference. Just compare the course modules.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (423)
56.4%
I don't have everything I need (327)
43.6%

Watched Threads