The Student Room Group

English / English Language & Literature Applicants 2019

I’ve yet to find anyone on here that has also applied for a straight English course, so thought I’d make this thread!
Name: Emily
A Levels (or equivalent): English Lit, English Lang, French
Predicted Grades: A*AB
Where I’ve applied: Edinburgh, York, Liverpool, Lancaster, Edge Hill
Firm: Not made a final decision yet, but hoping
for Edinburgh if I get an offer, (as that’s the only one I’m yet to hear from :frown: ) ,otherwise I’m edging towards Lancaster.

Let’s all get to know each other!

Name:
A Levels (or equivalent):
Predicted Grades:
Where I’ve applied:
Firm:
Extra Info:
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi! I'm Ronia, and I'm currently doing English Combined, Computer Science and Graphics at A-level. My predicted grades are between AAB-ABC and I've applied to Lancaster (snap!), Keele, UCLan, Reading and Bangor 😁 I've not made a firm decision yet but I'm between Lancaster and Keele at the moment. I'm taking a gap year so I'll be entering my course in 2020, so I've got time to get some work experience and travel a bit before my course starts 😁
Reply 2
Hi! :smile:
Name: Luke
A Levels (or equivalent): English Lit, History and BTEC Law in a Year
Predicted Grades: AB and a Distinction*
Where I’ve applied: Edge Hill, Keele, Lancaster, Sheffield and Liverpool.
Firm: I have no clue yet, will wait till last min on that! It's definitely between Edge Hill, Keele and Lancaster. Would be great if I could go to Lancaster but worrying about getting the grades + not too sure if I go there I'd feel as comfortable compared to when I visited Edge Hill. Parents want me to go Lancaster, and I don't want to disappoint! Going to Keele for an Applicant Day in April, so that'll be when I rule that one out or not. Are you guys concerned about going to a Uni that isn't doing as well in the league tables as Lancaster does?
Extra Info: I'm learning to speak Romani :smile:
Original post by Desayama
Are you guys concerned about going to a Uni that isn't doing as well in the league tables as Lancaster does?

I didn’t really look at the league tables before applying if I’m being truly honest. That’s definitely not what’s most important to me; I’m basing my decision more off the applicant days now. Have you visited the unis you’ve applied to and been to taster lectures etc? For me, they’ve been really useful, and I’ve managed to rule out York and Edge Hill, so I’d definitely suggest going to some applicant days if you haven’t already. Don’t base it off league tables but where you feel most comfortable - you’ve got to remember you’ll be spending 3 years there. I’ve still not heard from Edinburgh, and I don’t know if that’s a good sign or not, but otherwise I feel I’ll be putting Lancaster and Liverpool as my top 2. (Although I’ve actually changed course at Lancaster to English Language and Linguistics because I didn’t like the lit taster session). If you’re just worried about getting the grades at Lancaster, remember you’ll still have your insurance choice. When I visited, someone asked and they said that they would usually accept from BBB if it was your firm choice, but they couldn’t guarantee it. Have you a preference thus far?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by emilyhaworthx
Have you a preference thus far?

You're completely right, its more about what you're going to get out of a uni personally (enjoyment), rather than its ranking, but I can't help worrying about that lol. I visited Edge Hill for an Open Day and loved the English Lit department and the campus as a whole. My Mum also went there so she's buzzing.
Recently visited Lancaster for an applicant day too and had the Lit taster session. Wasn't overly keen on the session but the campus and staff seemed perfect. Although, they tried to pressure me into attending the Creative Writing taster session too, to the point where I had to escape from the building. Relieved to hear about the BBB! Puts my intense worry of getting an A at bay.
I ruled out Sheffield on an Open Day! Turns out I'm not a fan of the grimy city, gonna-get-mugged atmosphere (plus I'm in Manchester so had enough lol).
I've heard that Edinburgh hasn't responded to tons of people, so don't worry, they'll probably get back to you as late as possible!
In terms of having a preference, I still need to go to the Applicant Days at Keele and Liverpool, so we'll see!
From what I've seen online, Keele seems to appeal to me more than any of the others, so its hovering at 3 until I see it in person.
At the moment, I'd put Lancaster as my Firm and Edge Hill as my Insurance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending