FeddyEnhalls
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have a question asking about 2 uses of triglycerides. I only know about its use as a storage molecule of energy. Unless it being a component of fat counts as a separate point, I don’t know what else the use could be. If anyone could give me a hand, I’d be grateful
Infinite Series
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Like you said: triglycerides are used as an energy store. But ensure that you understand why it's good for these uses as well. They are a good energy store because when oxidised, they provide twice the energy as the same mass of carbohydrates.
Triglycerides are also stored around vital organs for their protection.
They are also a thermal insulator. Since fats are slow conductors of heat, when stored beneath the body surface they help to retain body heat.
FeddyEnhalls
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Infinite Series)
Like you said: triglycerides are used as an energy store. But ensure that you understand why it's good for these uses as well. They are a good energy store because when oxidised, they provide twice the energy as the same mass of carbohydrates.
Triglycerides are also stored around vital organs for their protection.
They are also a thermal insulator. Since fats are slow conductors of heat, when stored beneath the body surface they help to retain body heat.
Thanks a lot - that’s fantastically useful
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
FeddyEnhalls

Couple of extra points for you (in case you get a similar type of synoptic Q (to aim for A*):-

1. As ambassador [binomial series] says, fats give approx. twice the number of calories per unit mass - to be exact, fats give 9.1 Kcal/g, carbohydrates 4.1 Kcal/g and proteins 4.1 Kcal/g (you can convert these figures into joules/g by multiplying by 4.2).
2. Fats also have an additional function, namely in reproduction i.e. perpetuation of the species: fat deposition in the breasts and around the hips of women give them the "hour-glass" shape that men find attractive (at least some men like I do: I suppose evolution has now made men prefer girls who are skinny - I am stumped to work out the adaptive advantage of this modern trend! - the traditional attractiveness of a woman was so, in evolutionary terms, because a rounded bottom makes a woman more capable of giving birth).

M
Last edited by macpatgh-Sheldon; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?