The Student Room Group

The difference between norms and values-urgent help!

Hi all,
I'm really confused about the difference between norms and values.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Alice_G
Reply 1
Norm - the culturally established rules which describe appropriate behaviour within a society.

Value - a value system which is set out in the form of consistent values and measures.

(Value is pretty hard to describe without digging out my A Level Sociology books tbh)
Norms are expected and accepted ways of behaving, e.g. wearing shoes.

Values are what people regard as desirable, e.g. having money, the value of education, freedom of speech, etc.
Hello,

Whilst I am not a student studying Sociology, I do have an interest in the subject and therefore conducted some brief research regarding your question. Here are my findings below. Hope they help!

Values
In human society we are all taught from an early age the difference between right and wrong. Values are therefore general beliefs in what we deem to be right and wrong. An example of a value which is adopted in most countries is that everyone has the right to live in peace without the risk of harm, torment or abuse, irrelevant of cultural, ethnic or other varying differences. We therefore as people in general, seek to strive forward with these values in mind and to adopt them in everyday life.

Norms
Norms unlike values are not about what is considered right and wrong, but more about the actions which are deemed acceptable in a given social situation. It is often expected for example that when you go to work in an office you will wear a suit, although I appreciate that in today’s world this is not always the case. Another example is the way in which you interact with people in a social situation. It would be seen as very strange if you began laughing incoherently in the middle of a funeral, or for that matter began making jokes about death. If this were to happen you would be seen as very strange and probably rejected by that group.
Norms are very volatile things which change from situation to situation and therefore one cannot adopt any hard rules regarding them, as they are adopted through experience of life and often by making a great many mistakes.
Reply 4
Difference between Norms and Values are as simple as a simple water and coloured water.....

Norms: Actual or standardized behavior as a real conduct. Socially approved ways of behaving.

values:are supposed to be the guidelines of the society. It tells what to do and how to do in different situations.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
A norm is how your expected to behave in society and a value is something you strive for
i don't understand and I do need help, I am sorry I couldn't answer your question
Norms are expected way to behave in a given situation. For an example you are expected not to litter in the classroom floor, expected to help this old lady to cross the road (you happen to see she was struggling crossing the road), expected to donate for post tsunami campaign etc.

Values are not situation based, or those are not even behaviours. Those are ultimate concepts to guide society. As you can imagine, then we create our norms so as to reflects values. Values are love, nature friendliness, kindness, empathy etc...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending