Gilette releases commercial criticising rape culture Watch

Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
Can anyone point me to something that shows they can actually do that, re dislikes?

Seems to me it would be sort of a weird functionality for youtube to build in...
When you have an account on YouTube and you like or dislike a video, the thumbs up or thumbs down turns blue, letting you know that it’s worked. Every time I go back to the advert, my thumbs down has gone back to grey. I then checked the comments underneath the video and loads of people were saying the same thing, that they’ve had to dislike it several times. And that at some point it had X dislikes and that when they checked a few hours later, the dislikes had massively decreased. It's also being said that Gillette is using bots to remove dislikes and provide likes.
Last edited by Plantagenet Crown; 2 months ago
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
When you have an account on YouTube and you like or dislike a video, the thumbs up or thumbs down turns blue, letting you know that it’s worked. Every time I go back to the advert, my thumbs down has gone back to grey. I then checked the comments underneath the video and loads of people were saying the same thing, that they’ve had to dislike it several times. And that at some point it had X dislikes and that when they checked a few hours later, the dislikes had massively decreased. It's also being said that Gillette is using bots to remove dislikes and provide likes.
Yeah, I've seen the comments.

I'm not saying that that necessarily isn't what's happening. I'd just be more ready to accept it as fact if I could see some explanation of exactly how they're doing it, which uploaders have access to that feature, why youtube would allow that, and so forth.

I don't have another good explanation of what is going on. It does occur to me, however, that people probably don't usually return to clips they've disliked, and so probably don't usually know if their dislikes have properly registered or not. Maybe this is a common problem with youtube that only gets picked up on when there's a really controversial video that a lot of people want to see continuing to pick up dislikes.

For my own part, I disliked it early and my dislike has stuck. Each time I go on the video it has more dislikes than the last time :dontknow:
Pinkisk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
The dislikes have now gone from 60k to 50k from yesterday. The likes keep going up though. Its clear that they are manipulating the results by removing dislikes. They removed over 200k dislikes in the past two days and deleted many comments, including my own.

I would not be surprised if something similar is happening on this forum. Lies and distortion of facts and reality are just part of the nature of feminism. It's the only way it can justify its teachings and beliefs, which are disconnected from reality.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 2 months ago
Humz007
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Homo Fuge)
Men do disrespect and harass women. It’s happened to me. Just because you have not witnessed it yourself, it doesn’t mean it is not still an issue.
Read my last sentence.
akbar0123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Nothing wrong with this video. It s simply telling men to be their best, that masculinity and strength doesn’t equate to being a bully but to being a good example to others. And what’s best is that the types of people that got triggered and upset because of this video are supposedly the “real” men, unlike us snowflakes
akbar0123
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz)
In a few minutes we should see the fallout, NYSE opens....P&G stock price...

Didn’t happen! Stock price has pretty much stayed the same.
akbar0123
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Once again you post a nonsense claim that is not born out by the evidence. The advert is not aimed at 'rape culture', according to Gillette. It is aimed at 'toxic masculinity' and seeks to change the behaviour of men. Why masculinity is toxic is beyond me, but that is Gillette for you. The company is clearly unhappy with the behaviour of its customers and seeks to change it.

It pretty well fits the trend to be puritanically and regressively illiberal, but with the added twist of taking money from those being criticised.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46874617
It’s not saying that masculinity is toxic. Toxic masculinity is a type of masculinity. The type that leads to women being harassed, to men getting into stupid fights and being a bad example to others, in contrast to healthy masculinity.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by darkshadow1111)
Not surprised. Misandristic feminists.
why. why dont these hairy feminists just stfu. they ruin everything, even their own ads! :nooo: ah well, whoever is behind the ad, I liked it.
Dandaman1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by akbar0123)
Nothing wrong with this video. It s simply telling men to be their best, that masculinity and strength doesn’t equate to being a bully but to being a good example to others. And what’s best is that the types of people that got triggered and upset because of this video are supposedly the “real” men, unlike us snowflakes
Rightly pointing out the miscalculated, condescending, preachy nature of the video doesn't really equate to being "triggered" or "upset."

The video is dumb. It tries to be a positive message but just comes across as insulting. Like, gee, I'll remember not to sexually harass women. Thanks, Gillette. And some of it is just stupid - there's nothing wrong with boys roughhousing.

I keep saying it, but imagine an ad reminding women not to be emotional, manipulative gold-diggers. It would not go down well.
akbar0123
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Dandaman1)
Rightly pointing out the miscalculated, condescending, preachy nature of the video doesn't really equate to being "triggered" or "upset."

The video is dumb. It tries to be a positive message but just comes across as insulting. Like, gee, I'll remember not to sexually harass women. Thanks, Gillette. And some of it is just stupid - there's nothing wrong with boys roughhousing.

I keep saying it, but imagine an ad reminding women not to be emotional, manipulative gold-diggers. It would not go down well.
The point is not that you shouldn’t harass women but that you should also step in and stop it when you see it rather than accepting it. And of course roughhousing is wrong, what kind of example are parents setting if they’re telling their kids that fighting people is fine, instead of getting along and solving disputes with words? Sounds like you needed to see this advert.
Dandaman1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The point is not that you shouldn’t harass women but that you should also step in and stop it when you see it rather than accepting it. And of course roughhousing is wrong, what kind of example are parents setting if they’re telling their kids that fighting people is fine, instead of getting along and solving disputes with words? Sounds like you needed to see this advert.
The boys are clearly just wrestling. It's a normal, healthy thing for boys to do.

And the ad is essentially painting an exaggerated picture of so-called "toxic masculinity" and criticising the male demographic. It's out of line. Frankly, it's not even a razor ad's purpose. Gillette is basically just virtue signalling for money, and in a preachy, condescending way, which people also tend to dislike. Just sell me your razors and don't patronise me and tell me how to behave in matters not even related to shaving, thanks.

Imagine if you were buying something at a store and the cashier says "Here's your change, and don't sexually harass women. Have a nice day." I'd promptly tell the cashier where to stick that change.
Last edited by Dandaman1; 2 months ago
ltsmith
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
given that they are framing things in terms of gender vs gender, i don't think the point they make about bullying is accurate. in the experiences of many people, girls are more cruel to girls than guys are to guys.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It’s not saying that masculinity is toxic. Toxic masculinity is a type of masculinity. The type that leads to women being harassed, to men getting into stupid fights and being a bad example to others, in contrast to healthy masculinity.
what is toxic masculinity?
and what is harassment?

the problems with these labels are less about the idea that yes some aspects of masculinity are bad, and yes harassment is bad.. but more about what constitutes each.

Its the use of these big umbrella terms that alienates people and turns them off..

The vast vast majority of men think that toxic masculinity is wrong... but these days according to some progressive agendas, letting boys wrestle, and explaining anything to a woman unless you have absolute authority on the subject is toxic masculinity?

The vast vast majority of men think that sexual harassing women is wrong... but these days according to some progressive agendas, asking a woman out for a date issexual harassment?

So instead of targeting and being specific.. it ends up feeling like a more generalized attack on peoples identities. I have read so many different definitions of toxic masculinity, that each include different things.. that it becomes meaningless as a term. Similar to sexual harassment, which can include anything and everything according to some sources. The broader you stretch these terms, the less unanimous in agreement we become over them.

For toxic masculinity if the definition of what was toxic was kept lean and simple: Don't rape. Don't kill. Don't attack. etc. Clear concise, we can all agree that these are elements of masculinity that are awful = everyone's happy. But instead as long as we have this vague concept of ill-defined boundaries you'll end up with a situation such as the one we have now:

In short, the two sides end up like this:

A: "In my definition of toxic masculinity I include X,Y,20 things.. these are bad, and healthy masculinity is good"

B: "But in my definition I only include 12 of those things... the other 8 I think are part of healthy masculinity.. there fore I feel you are attacking masculinity as a whole. because some of what you are attacking isn't toxic in my eyes"

A: "but I am not attacking masculinity.. only the toxic part!"

B: "but some of your definition of what is toxic, is my definition of what is healthy"

etc. etc.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Kinda reminds me of the whole weird 'woke' pepsi ad debacle. Just another company trying to cash in on political/social trends.
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
For toxic masculinity if the definition of what was toxic was kept lean and simple: Don't rape. Don't kill. Don't attack. etc. Clear concise, we can all agree that these are elements of masculinity that are awful = everyone's happy.
That being said, I can't remember a time where murders and the act of rape were ever really considered masculine traits. Certainly don't remember anything telling me it was masculine to physically attack a woman. Was I just brought up on an entirely different planet to everyone else without my knowing?

I think a big problem with the whole 'toxic masculinity' debate is what people associate with masculinity at all can be shaky.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
Kinda reminds me of the whole weird 'woke' pepsi ad debacle. Just another company trying to cash in on political/social trends.

That being said, I can't remember a time where murders and the act of rape were ever really considered masculine traits. Certainly don't remember anything telling me it was masculine to physically attack a woman. Was I just brought up on an entirely different planet to everyone else without my knowing?

I think a big problem with the whole 'toxic masculinity' debate is what people associate with masculinity at all can be shaky.
As my posts show on the thread - I'm not a fan of the concept of toxic masculinity.. but.. killing and raping is definitely on the masculine end of the gender spectrum then the feminine. Numbers speak for themselves.. far more violent men then women, and far more men commit murder then women.

the problem with this add, and the modern conceptulisation of 'toxic masculinity' is that they see (rightly so) that the tendendancy towards physical violence is a more masculine trait... and want it stamped out among all men. Without having the nuance to understand that a degree of a tendancy towards violence is actually very beneficial for men, and for society as a whole.

Hence why I bring it to the extremes, such as murder/rape. They are universal things we can agree we don't want men doing.. where as stamping out all violent aspects of masculinity (including kids play-fighting as seen in the add) is more devisive, and rightly so.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
As my posts show on the thread - I'm not a fan of the concept of toxic masculinity.. but.. killing and raping is definitely on the masculine end of the gender spectrum then the feminine. Numbers speak for themselves.. far more violent men then women, and far more men commit murder then women.

the problem with this add, and the modern conceptulisation of 'toxic masculinity' is that they see (rightly so) that the tendendancy towards physical violence is a more masculine trait... and want it stamped out among all men. Without having the nuance to understand that a degree of a tendancy towards violence is actually very beneficial for men, and for society as a whole.

Hence why I bring it to the extremes, such as murder/rape. They are universal things we can agree we don't want men doing.. where as stamping out all violent aspects of masculinity (including kids play-fighting as seen in the add) is more devisive, and rightly so.
Obviously I can't argue with demographics on the most serious crimes. The problem is associating it with "toxic masculinity" makes it seem as though male culture encourages us all to be murderers, when in reality murderers and rapists are very much an ostracised minority and not encouraged by anybody. It's perhaps a "more masculine" thing, but not in the way some pushers of the whole toxic masculinity concept would have it. So um... I think we kinda agree? lol I've lost track of my original point a little bit i won't lie
Occitanie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
At the end of the day, Gillette just want to sell more. Do you really think they care about our societal issues?
Joleee
  • Community Assistant
Report 1 month ago
what is toxic masculinity?
and what is harassment?

the problems with these labels are less about the idea that yes some aspects of masculinity are bad, and yes harassment is bad.. but more about what constitutes each.

Its the use of these big umbrella terms that alienates people and turns them off..

The vast vast majority of men think that toxic masculinity is wrong... but these days according to some progressive agendas, letting boys wrestle, and explaining anything to a woman unless you have absolute authority on the subject is toxic masculinity?

The vast vast majority of men think that sexual harassing women is wrong... but these days according to some progressive agendas, asking a woman out for a date issexual harassment?

So instead of targeting and being specific.. it ends up feeling like a more generalized attack on peoples identities. I have read so many different definitions of toxic masculinity, that each include different things.. that it becomes meaningless as a term. Similar to sexual harassment, which can include anything and everything according to some sources. The broader you stretch these terms, the less unanimous in agreement we become over them.

For toxic masculinity if the definition of what was toxic was kept lean and simple: Don't rape. Don't kill. Don't attack. etc. Clear concise, we can all agree that these are elements of masculinity that are awful = everyone's happy. But instead as long as we have this vague concept of ill-defined boundaries you'll end up with a situation such as the one we have now:

In short, the two sides end up like this:

A: "In my definition of toxic masculinity I include X,Y,20 things.. these are bad, and healthy masculinity is good"

B: "But in my definition I only include 12 of those things... the other 8 I think are part of healthy masculinity.. there fore I feel you are attacking masculinity as a whole. because some of what you are attacking isn't toxic in my eyes"

A: "but I am not attacking masculinity.. only the toxic part!"

B: "but some of your definition of what is toxic, is my definition of what is healthy"

etc. etc.

sexual harassment didn't become a thing until the 1970s-80s so no wonder men don't know; it wasn't that long ago. yeah maybe before you were born, but not before your dad was born and where do you think you learned how to be one?

i totally get the frustration because there are definitely confusing messages. it doesn't help that men learn what women are from the internet and not real life tho. no, women don't think asking them out is harassment, not usually. but it might be harassment if you're her boss or you're sending her **** pics or asking for nudes which i see daily on TSR. then you guys laugh and think that's just trivial or what guys do. then you're sad/frustrated when girls don't like it.

but you can't learn women from the media. the media paints women as 'overreacting' because how many people love reading about women overreacting? you know there's an entire audience who eats that sh*t up?

there was one real life sexual harassment case in the ad - the Terry Crews clip which either dudes don't know about or just don't care. he was sexual harassed and sexual assaulted by a male hollywood boss in the middle of a hollywood party and he didn't do anything about it at the time because he didn't want to cause a scene. he was the most important case in the entire #metoo movement, because he's the epitome of a sexual harassment victim in a sexual harassment scenario. and he's asking men to be better men and hold each other accountable; but apparently that's offensive.
Underscore__
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joleee)
sexual harassment didn't become a thing until the 1970s-80s so no wonder men don't know; it wasn't that long ago. yeah maybe before you were born, but not before your dad was born and where do you think you learned how to be one?

i totally get the frustration because there are definitely confusing messages. it doesn't help that men learn what women are from the internet and not real life tho. no, women don't think asking them out is harassment, not usually. but it might be harassment if you're her boss or you're sending her **** pics or asking for nudes which i see daily on TSR. then you guys laugh and think that's just trivial or what guys do. then you're sad/frustrated when girls don't like it.

but you can't learn women from the media. the media paints women as 'overreacting' because how many people love reading about women overreacting? you know there's an entire audience who eats that sh*t up?

there was one real life sexual harassment case in the ad - the Terry Crews clip which either dudes don't know about or just don't care. he was sexual harassed and sexual assaulted by a male hollywood boss in the middle of a hollywood party and he didn't do anything about it at the time because he didn't want to cause a scene. he was the most important case in the entire #metoo movement, because he's the epitome of a sexual harassment victim in a sexual harassment scenario. and he's asking men to be better men and hold each other accountable; but apparently that's offensive.
It appears that you learn about men from the media/internet in the same way you accuse the previous poster of learning about women. No man I’ve ever met would think it’s reasonable to send unsolicited d**k pics to anyone, let alone a female subordinate. If anyone I knew did and then complained that the woman didn’t like it I wouldn’t be alone in calling him out.

Most men understand what sexual harassment/assault is and would always steer clear of that behaviour. I suppose it’s easier for the media to demonise men than recognise that individual men behaving like morons has nothing to do with their gender
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Joleee
  • Community Assistant
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Underscore__)
It appears that you learn about men from the media/internet in the same way you accuse the previous poster of learning about women. No man I’ve ever met would think it’s reasonable to send unsolicited d**k pics to anyone, let alone a female subordinate. If anyone I knew did and then complained that the woman didn’t like it I wouldn’t be alone in calling him out.

Most men understand what sexual harassment/assault is and would always steer clear of that behaviour. I suppose it’s easier for the media to demonise men than recognise that individual men behaving like morons has nothing to do with their gender
you need to read fallon_acorns post to know what i was addressing. he wrote explicitly about 'reading' on toxic masculinity and not know what sexual harassment is. i didn't assume anything.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (125)
17.83%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.27%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (121)
17.26%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (101)
14.41%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (68)
9.7%
How can I be the best version of myself? (214)
30.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed