The Student Room Group

Struggling with uni life

I go to uni but live on my own in a flat about an hours drive away from uni. i work most evenings and find it hard to fit all in. I haven’t got any friends really I have one from school and people I speak to at uni but I’m pretty isolated I go to uni come home go to work and repeat basically when I’m not at uni I take extra shifts to cover my bills. I see other people my age (20) doing the uni experience and I feel like I’ve missed out as I’ve got no friends and don’t have any money to do anything. I’m in a tenancy for another 12 months when I will be almost finished uni by then as I’m already half way thru second year. I know it’s specific but if anyone had been in my situation before and how they made friends or what they did or any advice I really don’t have time for to join clubs and such and I’m not really into any hobbies like that but any suggestions are welcome.
Is there a chance you could find a place that is near to your unI? Regarding meeting people, you could try clubs and societies at uni. Also try online meet ups and clubs outside of uni. You could also converse with students at lectures and tutorials and see where it goes.
That's why you shoud live in uni shared halls in order to make friends.
You need to make a proper effort, even if you're shy or embarrassed. It'll be worth it in the long run to have friends :smile:

Maybe try sitting next to another loner or a friendly person in lectures and be really friend, take thier contact details etc. If they're unresponsive try someone else the next day. You say you talk to people so maybe try to get closer to them? share personal details, be positive or ask them questions etc.

I know it sucks to feel like this. i had no friends for 2 years in sixth form, sad times. Chin up! It won't be this way forever x

Quick Reply

Latest