GCSE Options Watch

NNadiaa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I’m doing Socilodgy, Health and Social and Child development (I can still change my options) I wanna become a nurse in the future so I’m doing all the health based options but everyone telling me it’s a lot of paper work to do. I don’t know if I should just pick photography instead of Child development does it matter what you pick or what levels you get? I don’t know!
Cheeky_nandos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
GCSEs are pounded on about all the time where they say its very important. It’s not that important tbh but if you want to have a more chilled lesson take photography but that actually might turn out to be a-lot of work too for a small subject. If you think your good at doing lots of paper work then do it, if not don’t.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
HobbinsE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Maybe picking a science subject would help more than child development as it would open up more a level options if that a path you choose. Also at GCSE level the sciences pretty much have straight answers so it’s easier to memorise. But as said above GCSE’s don’t matter that much apart from maths and English, it’s the level 3 qualification that universities will look at more
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
lawstudentfg12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi!I am currently in my second year of my law degree at university and I can honestly say what options you choose do not matter. They just want you to have a certain amount of GCSE's (usually 5 total), its your A-levels that will count. I would advise health and social care, I wouldn't advise child development because from back when I was at school as far as I'm aware it grants you an NVQ, not GCSE's. Which is equivalent to 2 GCSE's and gets you the necessary qualification to work in a nursery but doesn't actually help you educationally really, as its quite practical with doing a placement at nursery etc. Health and social care is not too hard, I got an A* yet C's in all of my other GCSE's. And i really enjoyed it, i would recommend Health and Social Care. Sociology is good although i personally prefered Psychology as its more health-related whereas sociology is literally statistics, and not about the mind, it's about society. If I could turn the clock back I would have chosen the GCSE's that I really enjoyed such as food technology etc. I was told it wouldn't be viewed as academic but at the end of the day all universities want is for you to have a certain amount of GCSE's at a certain grade, so the easier GCSE's the better in my opinion! Its all about the A-levels with nursing.
NNadiaa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Thanks A lot with the replies it helped ALOT!
RynnRiot
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by NNadiaa)
Thanks A lot with the replies it helped ALOT!
I'm taking my GCSE's atm and i actually dropped HSC recently because the amount of coursework was stressing me out too much. My one piece of advice would be do not get behind on your coursework. I got so behind that i felt like i was drowning in it, as long as you do a bit a week and you don't mind independent study then go for it! Don't forget you can try it out in September and if you don't like anything then you can swap it out (aim to swap within the first four weeks back). You can swap no matter what your school says, trust me!

Good Luck,
Rynn x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (147)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.88%
No I am happy with my course choice (491)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.53%

Watched Threads