University Personal Statement Help for Classics and English *STATE SCHOOL STUDENT*

Watch
Stell1989
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I am interested in applying for a Classics and English degree next year but coming from a state school I have not had much opportunity to study the classical world in depth. What kind of things should I be doing in order to make my personal statement reflect that I have been trying to make up for the times in which I haven't been able to study classics where a privately educated student probably would have ( or at the very least been able to study latin/greek/classical civilization at a level). I have already been reading books which have been relevant to the course but I do not necessarily know how to interpret them as when interviewed, I want to be able to talk about them confidently ( if you are wondering, I have been reading The Odyssey by Homer and some other relevant classical literature.
Thanks!!!
Zlnutakor1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hmmm I am also a state a school student applying to do Classical Civilization for 2019 entry. I am however doing A Level Classical Civilization. I would continue to read relevant texts /read around the subject. I would just try and place emphasis on your own interpretation and what about the texts resonate with you. They are looking for interest in the subject. It's their job to teach you about academic interpretations of the texts . I highly recommend Homer's Iliad and Virgil's Aneid. You could also read around the subject generally, to give yourself a basis of knowledge. I also did an online course relating to Classis on Coursera and I watched a couple of documentaries. it's hard to find relevant work experience - voulntered at an Art gallery. That was however because I want to go into museam curation . Maybe talk about extra curricular activities and your ambitions career wise after your degree. You could try and get work experience in that .

That was long , hope it helped! I am happy to share my ps to give you some inspiration if you think it would help? That's provided I can work out how to link it !
purplesockmonkey
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've studied both subjects and done the whole uni application thing, and personally I'd say that reading texts like the Aeneid is fantastic and you should totally aim to get them read for your PS/interview etc, but if you are in y12 currently, I would say that at this stage you should work on building a factual foundation of Classics. Then go back to the Classical literature over the summer (you have more time than you realise, trust me) and you'll find you're able to interpret them better.

Have you come across Robert Harris? Check his novels out. All the Classics people I know speak very highly of him. Remember as well that their are lots of great ways to discover Classics that are as good (or dare I say better) than reading! Check out Mary Beard's documentaries (they're always coming on iPlayer), they will really help you.
purplesockmonkey
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by purplesockmonkey)
I've studied both subjects and done the whole uni application thing, and personally I'd say that reading texts like the Aeneid is fantastic and you should totally aim to get them read for your PS/interview etc, but if you are in y12 currently, I would say that at this stage you should work on building a factual foundation of Classics. Then go back to the Classical literature over the summer (you have more time than you realise, trust me) and you'll find you're able to interpret them better.

Have you come across Robert Harris? Check his novels out. All the Classics people I know speak very highly of him. Remember as well that their are lots of great ways to discover Classics that are as good (or dare I say better) than reading! Check out Mary Beard's documentaries (they're always coming on iPlayer), they will really help you.
Sorry meant the Odyssey, not the Aeneid
Stell1989
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zlnutakor1)
Hmmm I am also a state a school student applying to do Classical Civilization for 2019 entry. I am however doing A Level Classical Civilization. I would continue to read relevant texts /read around the subject. I would just try and place emphasis on your own interpretation and what about the texts resonate with you. They are looking for interest in the subject. It's their job to teach you about academic interpretations of the texts . I highly recommend Homer's Iliad and Virgil's Aneid. You could also read around the subject generally, to give yourself a basis of knowledge. I also did an online course relating to Classis on Coursera and I watched a couple of documentaries. it's hard to find relevant work experience - voulntered at an Art gallery. That was however because I want to go into museam curation . Maybe talk about extra curricular activities and your ambitions career wise after your degree. You could try and get work experience in that .

That was long , hope it helped! I am happy to share my ps to give you some inspiration if you think it would help? That's provided I can work out how to link it !
Omg thank you soo much for your help!!! I would love to see your ps ( just PM me ) I will defo start reading the books you recommended )
Stell1989
Rep:
?
(Original post by purplesockmonkey)

Thanks so much for your advice! I will 100% check his novels out, I have briefly come across Mary Beard so i will defo watch her documentaries to give me an insight into the classical world
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (75)
17.86%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (121)
28.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (159)
37.86%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.38%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.1%

Watched Threads