GCSES pls read need help Watch

liamlarner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
so basically during GCSES i will be going through having surgery on my back it can't be any later or earlier due to reasons the doctor's won't specify i think it's a bit technical for doctors or something so on results day do you think i will be allowed my mock exam grades as they reflect my performance or my mock exam mark and given a grade whatever that equates to on the June 2019 grade boundaries do ofqual allow this to happen in extreme circumstances like what i will be going through because obviously i will need to rest after surgery and can't do the exam at home
KimNoel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what did you get in your mocks were they what u expected or not
liamlarner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by KimNoel)
what did you get in your mocks were they what u expected or not
yes they were would i be allowed to have these results as it is impossible to do the 2019 papers
Hass3n7
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just apply for extenuating circumstances. Surgery is a valid reason and they would take that into account when coming up with a solution.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by liamlarner)
yes they were would i be allowed to have these results as it is impossible to do the 2019 papers
No- you need to sit the papers in hospital or delay surgery a few weeks. You don't get given your mock grades in this situation.
I've had students sit exams in hospital after surgery ...
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by liamlarner)
on results day do you think i will be allowed my mock exam grades as they reflect my performance or my mock exam mark and given a grade whatever that equates to on the June 2019 grade boundaries do ofqual allow this to happen in extreme circumstances like what i will be going through because obviously i will need to rest after surgery and can't do the exam at home
what Muttley79 said. They won't award your mock grades.
You (and probably your parents) should meet with your head of year and talk about what you are faced with to see what, with help from the exams officer, can be done to support you. You can take the exams in hospital if the exams office can make the arrangements. You can be permitted rest break and other arrangements that are appropriate to your situation. If you can complete some of the exam papers you may be awarded grades based on those results. Compost may have extra advice about access arrangements and special consideration.
A sixth form MAY allow you to take A levels based on mock results and teacher recommendations. Maths and English could be taken/retaken in November. A University application can consider these extenuating circumstances where they would take into account that you couldn't show your full GCSE potential.
Last edited by gdunne42; 1 month ago
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As others have said, you can't have GCSEs awarded on your mock grades. The best thing for you to to is, as had been said, for you and your parents to talk to your school about dates and what is possible. There are a whole host of options available - it might be possible to miss somea exams from a subject even though it's elective surgery, you migth be able to take exams in hospital or at home, you might need rest breaks or a scribe - but you need to talk to your school to agree the best way forward.
coralkathleen
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My friend was awarded her mock/predicted grades for some of her GCSE exams due to extenuating circumstances. Even if you sit your exams in hospital you can get accomadations and they can compare your actual grades with your mocks and give you special consideration.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by coralkathleen)
My friend was awarded her mock/predicted grades for some of her GCSE exams due to extenuating circumstances. Even if you sit your exams in hospital you can get accomadations and they can compare your actual grades with your mocks and give you special consideration.
Read the 3 previous posts, which are all from teachers and exams officers. You cannot get GCSEs based on mock/predicted grades.
coralkathleen
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Compost)
Read the 3 previous posts, which are all from teachers and exams officers. You cannot get GCSEs based on mock/predicted grades.
Apologies for that, as far as I am aware she was awarded a grade in her English Literature exam, even though she missed the first paper. I am not entirely familiar with the ins ands outs, although she did get a grade even though she couldn't sit the exam. Like I said, it was very extenuating circumstances and without it she would not have been able to go to college as it was the English GCSE.
Unijourney
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by coralkathleen)
Apologies for that, as far as I am aware she was awarded a grade in her English Literature exam, even though she missed the first paper. I am not entirely familiar with the ins ands outs, although she did get a grade even though she couldn't sit the exam. Like I said, it was very extenuating circumstances and without it she would not have been able to go to college as it was the English GCSE.
There are special arrangements sometimes for students that manage to sit 25% (this used to be a higher percentage) of a unit but fail to sit a paper(s) of that unit due to valid reasons such as hospitalisation, extreme illness. This is not an automatic right and very much depends on individual circumstances, Maybe this is what happened in your friend's case.
学生の父
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The Joint Committee on Qualifications rules changed in June 2017 such that you only have to complete 25% of the assessment for a qualification before absence from an assessment for valid reasons will lead to your mark for the rest of the assessments being calculated for you statistically. In other words they will compare the mark for what you did achieve with what others achieved for the same component, and then place your other marks in the same statistical category.

The boards are very clear that internally assessed marks may not take the place of any external assessments. This is to preserve the integrity of the exam system.

Centres are however able to apply for special consideration on your behalf if you completed an assessment under disadvantageous circumstances beyond your control. In that case marks would be added to whatever you achieved in the assessment.

As others have stated, it is also possible for you to sit GCSE exams in hospital or supervised other than at your centre. Other provisions such as rest breaks, readers or scribes could be made.

As the AQA, for example, states: "Special consideration can only ever go some way towards compensating a student who has been disadvantaged during an exam. It is not always possible to reflect what might have been achieved in more favourable circumstances."

Talk to the exam officer at your school, and see what they can do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (50)
15.11%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (28)
8.46%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (63)
19.03%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (51)
15.41%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (39)
11.78%
How can I be the best version of myself? (100)
30.21%

Watched Threads